Preview Changes v Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jeez, it would have been great to have gotten Selwood. However, Lachie was a good pick all in all. Unfortunately, injuries really messed his career, ironically. For a short period, he was shaping up as the best floating interceptor in the business. I think the day he did the splits and “landed on his penis” was the beginning of the end for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think we took Goldie in that same draft too. At pick 50 or something.
For me, Lachie didn’t have the natural footy smarts to be a premier defender. He was a better pick than Gumbleton, but was also injury riddled.
Also, we struggled to really find a settled spot for Lachie......But he never really grasped one totally either.
He’d take great marks but his disposal would be ordinary, or vice versa.......just never put it all together.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I think we took Goldie in that same draft too. At pick 50 or something.
For me, Lachie didn’t have the natural footy smarts to be a premier defender. He was a better pick than Gumbleton, but was also injury riddled.
Also, we struggled to really find a settled spot for Lachie......But he never really grasped one totally either.
He’d take great marks but his disposal would be ordinary, or vice versa.......just never put it all together.

Laidley & Scott both ****ed him up.

Was a prodigious mark and we did not capitalise. AFL Top 5 for marks 2 seasons running, and top 20 in the year after.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Laidley & Scott both f’ed him up.

Was a prodigious mark and we did not capitalise. AFL Top 5 for marks 2 seasons running, and top 20 in the year after.
I’m interested in how you think they F‘ed him up mate? Played out of position? Or played when injured? I remember him swinging back and forward......but never really assumed it was coaching error.
He could def take great grabs, but then wouldn’t kick goals.
Always thought his footy IQ wasn’t there. He had a reasonable tank too from memory.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I’m interested in how you think they F‘ed him up mate? Played out of position? Or played when injured? I remember him swinging back and forward......but never really assumed it was coaching error.
He could def take great grabs, but then wouldn’t kick goals.
Always thought his footy IQ wasn’t there. He had. A reasonable tank too from memory.

Yes. He should have been kept up forward and developed as a forward. They turned him in to a zoning defender, and he was very good, but when teams cottoned on to it, and chipped around him he was basically made redundant with Drew & Waite given the nod. He definitely deserved to stay on the list ahead of Majak at that period in time.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Yes. He should have been kept up forward and developed as a forward. They turned him in to a zoning defender, and he was very good, but when teams cottoned on to it, and chipped around him he was basically made redundant with Drew & Waite given the nod. He definitely deserved to stay on the list ahead of Majak at that period in time.
I always expected that he'd end taking Drew's spot.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I believe Rhyce wasn't happy at half time against the hawks as the group wasn't following instructions. Wasn't any happier at three quarter time either.

We certainly found some room in the last, but by then it was too late. He wants the boys playing on and to keep the ball moving.
Our issue though and it doesn't matter who's coach, is our cattle. So many players that aren't fleet of foot.

Even LDU and I'll say it- he isn't the player we needed. " dime a dozen are big bodied mids". Sure he'll be good, but was another big bodied slowish mid necessary? Ahern, Dumont, LDU, Cunners all slow. we need quick outside talent.

Stephenson at Collingwood is who we should have picked imo.
we mucked around at the draft ,so we're going to struggle even if Rhyce becomes the next Vince Lombardi. It;s not like we didn't know about the ability that Stephenson had/is displaying.

Interesting stuff- the shortened quarters haven't helped us at all. Opposition sides are coming hard at us and then maybe running out of gas? probably we'd be better off with longer quarters although that may mean we're further behind when we start our charge.

Not sure really, I do know they have a plan and it involves skilled quick footballers, so I'd assume anyone that doesn't fit that bill will be moved on.

We saw last year when we tried unsuccessfully to move Wood on, that Shaw isn't going to let the grass grow under his feet.

Dunno mate, even if LDU wasn’t the type we need, it would’ve been impossible to pass him up. Finnigan would have been beside himself when he was still there.

On his type, I reckon we can always use a midfielder with enough toe to break away from the contest and use it well.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even LDU and I'll say it- he isn't the player we needed. " dime a dozen are big bodied mids". Sure he'll be good, but was another big bodied slowish mid necessary? Ahern, Dumont, LDU, Cunners all slow. we need quick outside talent.

Stephenson at Collingwood is who we should have picked imo.
we mucked around at the draft ,so we're going to struggle even if Rhyce becomes the next Vince Lombardi. It;s not like we didn't know about the ability that Stephenson had/is displaying.
LDU isn't slow, look at his testing and junior vision. So far he's lacked the endurance to display his explosive power, and but he absolutely does have above-average burst speed for an inside mid. Still think he'll be everything we hoped, its all about confidence in his body imo

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Gee Lachie H has been hard done by here.

Those interceptions in H&A games in his defensive role contributed to W’s that accumulated into Finals, just as much as Drew’s goals or Spittas mid work or Benny J’s tags, and gave us the opportunity to play off in Prelims.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gee Lachie H has been hard done by here.

Those interceptions in H&A games in his defensive role contributed to W’s that accumulated into Finals, just as much as Drew’s goals or Spittas mid work or Benny J’s tags, and gave us the opportunity to play off in Prelims.

Yeah but....He's not Joel Selwood so therefore it equals mad.

And staying mad for years over a hypothetical situation determined by a draft.

Living in alternative realities is comfy I...guess?

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dunno mate, even if LDU wasn’t the type we need, it would’ve been impossible to pass him up. Finnigan would have been beside himself when he was still there.

On his type, I reckon we can always use a midfielder with enough toe to break away from the contest and use it well.

Yeah we could, but until we have Comben, Perez, Scott teaming with Simpkin, Zurhaar, larkey, Bonar,TT,Taylor,Mahony and LDU and right aged recruits for our first two rounders this year which needs to be a point of difference to our military medium outside off side. Or of course two new young guns, although my view is we're young enough.

We.are.going.to.struggle.and .NMFC.BF.will .be.up.in.arms.every.two.weeks. Cause we aint that good, actually we're not flash at all. Those thinking we could win the flag this year are more off their collective **** than me after a red wine , beer, cookie baked fueled shower scene.

Oh my I do miss those days- been at least a fortnight.lol

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LDU isn't slow, look at his testing and junior vision. So far he's lacked the endurance to display his explosive power, and but he absolutely does have above-average burst speed for an inside mid. Still think he'll be everything we hoped, its all about confidence in his body imo

man I'm not hating on LDU- just pointing out they he may not of been the type we needed is all. Am glad he's not slow. We just don't need no more inside mids is my point.

Yeah we could, but until we have Comben, Perez, Scott teaming with Simpkin, Zurhaar, larkey, Bonar,TT,Taylor,Mahony and LDU and right aged recruits for our first two rounders this year which needs to be a point of difference to our military medium outside off side. Or of course two new young guns, although my view is we're young enough.

We.are.going.to.struggle.and .NMFC.BF.will .be.up.in.arms.every.two.weeks. Cause we aint that good, actually we're not flash at all. Those thinking we could win the flag this year are more off their collective **** than me after a red wine , beer, cookie baked fueled shower scene.

Who are you hearing this from?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

I’m hearing ya, and I’m strapping myself in for the ride. For the footy that is, not ya shower shenanigans.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Saw Bevo on the news. In a magnanimous gesture, he was basically pleading with the AFL for umps to pay frees to the forwards for straggling by the back men. How wonderful that he is calling out the work that’s been done on BBB without reward, and putting the umps on notice to be watching out for him. I can’t see Clarko ever doing that.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
it’s over; who cares
Pretty much. Too many people stuck in the past and stuck in an alternate history that never happened.

Big ******* deal.
Ya might have to hit the a Grumpy Old Thread boys. Was purely a convo. Apologies for livin in the past.

anyway

JMAC bad
Goldy good
JZ bad
Taz good

Am I doing it right?

FFs

Footy Focus Podcast

Actually support NMFC
Jun 8, 2020
South East Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
man I'm not hating on LDU- just pointing out they he may not of been the type we needed is all. Am glad he's not slow. We just don't need no more inside mids is my point.
But we do need inside mids. Cunnington doesn't play and we look more likely to get rolled. Speaks alot about our inside mid depth.

We need balanced mids. I don't think teams can carry one paced mids any more. Unless they are exceptional or versatile.

We need balanced mids who can get the 6 or 7 clearances a game but is quick on the spread. Which I think LDU is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back