AFL Round 5 - Non-MFC Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Another classic at the G
Absolute epic. A bit of rain hasn't helped, but jesus, what a snoozefest.

Meanwhile, other than 20 odd blokes who wear red and blue, is there a player in the AFL as overrated as DeGoey right now? Given he's without a manager going into contract negotiations, there is every chance he ends up paying his own registration next season.

Absolute epic. A bit of rain hasn't helped, but jesus, what a snoozefest.

Meanwhile, other than 20 odd blokes who wear red and blue, is there a player in the AFL as overrated as DeGoey right now? Given he's without a manager going into contract negotiations, there is every chance he ends up paying his own registration next season.

Been trying to think of changes to the rules that might actually make a difference to ball movement, because I watched 10 mins then and there were about 600 useless back and forward handballs.

What about trialling a 2 or 3 or 4 handball limit before a kick. Would force teams to keep a target down the line as a backup option.

And yet I watched an unbelievable game of footy last night. Unfortunately it was NRL. Storm v Roosters gave me faith that live sport can still be amazing.

Been trying to think of changes to the rules that might actually make a difference to ball movement, because I watched 10 mins then and there were about 600 useless back and forward handballs.

What about trialling a 2 or 3 or 4 handball limit before a kick. Would force teams to keep a target down the line as a backup option.
I'd bring in the no marks to backwards kicks in the back half of the ground rule that they trialled in the preseason comp years and years ago. Remove the security of going backwards to safety and allowing numbers to push forward. All of a sudden, it's worth maintaining one on ones behind the ball as you're a chance to turn it over, leading to less congestion up the ground, where players are forced to kick to to control play anyway.

Not sure limiting handballs would achieve that much ... it'll cut out play like Collingwood's to end the 2nd which was awful (Melbourne-like even), but also cut out play like Essendon's to start the 3rd. It's also just adding more free kicks (and more for umpires to think about) which I don't think improves the spectacle

I like the idea of forcing teams to play two forwards and two defenders in the arcs. Takes away eight players from congestion in the middle 3rd of the ground and gives incentive to get it forward quicker.

As for the bombers game Collingwood had a very Melbourne esq quarter. Dominated but no reward on the scoreboard. Then Essendon kicked two late. Plus that de goey non goal was very Melbourne.

Still a few drops and throws being missed, but generally much tighter on the rule. Hasn't seemed to improve things much.
Its dumb anyway. Either the umpires were completely wrong in their adjudication of the rules or they have been instructed to adjudicate the rules wrong this week because Clarko got pissed.

Aussie rules was Never a tackling game in the vain of the rugby codes it was a one on one contest based game with defined positions, it’s gone from 25 tackles a game to 60 plus and interchange from as low as none to well over 100 at times while becoming totally possession and defence based.

Coaches carry the majority of the blame for this but their job is solely to win so I understand it but coaching panels need to be limited to say 3, meetings need to be cut back to a couple a week and the emphasis needs to be placed on scoring, see NFL and NBA.

More than anything the AFL needs to man up, tell the coaches to * off out of it, limit interchange to 10 and make it 20m for a mark, and I’d even look at banning full contact training. Perfect time for the AFL to take back the game and re-establish its fundamentals from the first 120 years

Have had a couple of small investments on the Saints and Dogs to win the flag.

The Saints best footy is really good. I do ponder how we'd look with Ratten coaching us. The bloke did such an underrated job at Carlton given the list was basically 3 guns and a bunch of duds. Had no right getting them to the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have had a couple of small investments on the Saints and Dogs to win the flag.

The Saints best footy is really good. I do ponder how we'd look with Ratten coaching us. The bloke did such an underrated job at Carlton given the list was basically 3 guns and a bunch of duds. Had no right getting them to the finals.
Probably wouldn't make finals with that Carlton team the way the game is played today. There would be no space for yarran, garlett and betts to work in.

Seeing how the umps are paying htb in the swans / WC game just shows how much influence someone like Clarkson has over the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back