Review AFL R5 v Geelong @GMHBA Stadium 4:35pm Saturday 4 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Onward and upward. Real test is how they bounce back from a loss.
Melbourne is a team low on confidence. We need to take the confidence from our previous games and come out and bring it.
We gained ascendancy on Geelong without Rowell which should give the rest of the team confidence.

We were let down by our leaders today, Swallow, Wittsy, Hanley, Sexton and Harbrow.

I really don't know where Swallow is at, he had enough of the footy, but his kicking really hurt us. I don't know what his role is anymore.

I'm all for dropping Harbrow and Hanley for Sharp and Mclennan. It's a young back six but they couldn't have been any worse. Buddas has to be on warning too.

Fiorini in for Rowell doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I would rather see Brodie or Flanders come in, to fill that role. Maybe for Powel.

Sexton just goes missing for long stretches in the game, he is purely a goal scorer, I would rather see rankine in his role.

But that's 5 possible changes, I'm not sure you go unchanged for 3 weeks and then swing the axe with 1 injury and 4 omissions. Especially when you watch the second quarter in particular, like the players we had were capable, they just couldn't pull it together for 4 quarters

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can bring Fiorini in for Rowell in order to put Swallow in the middle.
I agree swallow has been a bit lost. Trying to play forward / midfield he hasn't really been able to build into the game.
He seems a better forward when drifting down from the forward line rather than playing permanently down there.

A few observations after the game.
The result was about right given where we are on the rebuild ladder. There was some degree of over confidence coming in (from supporters) but I believe this is where we are. Poor against Port, good against the bottom three teams (currently) and average/poor against Geelong. The last quarter was clearly the worst and we seemed to drop back into panic mode that has been so common over the years.
I've said it before so it's not something new but we are weak in defence and this will have to be addressed in 2021. Bowes and Lukosius will be mid or attacking forwards in future years (hopefully for us) and are gap filling right now. Corbett is a forward, Powell a wingman and Burgess is a stop gap player. Hombsch is slow and a good reserve but that's all. Joyce has been tried and failed many times. Harbow and Hanley on last legs - they did play poorly but we don't have anyone really to replace them so I think they stay.
Some of our 'loyal' boys just did not show up either - McPherson, Will and even Sexton had limited impact. Miller was back to his old spray 'em style of kicking but he wasn't alone there.
It'll be interesting to see which way Dew goes - Flanders, Brodie, Corbett, Sharp and of course Rankine are knocking down the doors so all should come under consideration BUT not an experienced back man among them.
We have improved - there is no doubt and a 37 point loss is not earth shattering.
.....and finally, what's with all the 50's? Are the umpires being too precious or are our boys being a bit lippy - cost us big time in the overall scheme of things.
Roll on Round 6 and Melbourne - it's winnable but won't be easy if Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Viney and Co get loose in the middle.

...and I forgot Fiorini - has to also be in the discussion.

You can bring Fiorini in for Rowell in order to put Swallow in the middle.
I agree swallow has been a bit lost. Trying to play forward / midfield he hasn't really been able to build into the game.
He seems a better forward when drifting down from the forward line rather than playing permanently down there.
I agree re Swallow - he's not a forward - he's a mid with the ability to rest for a while if needed in the forward zone. Greenwood, Swallow and even Brodie should be the first 3 mids while Rowell is out and the other mid needs to be a speedier outside/inside type. Melbourne are a BIG mid team - remember last year at Brisbane! - so we need to be able to match that bash and smash type of player.

Just some random thoughts.

Negatives
Rowell injury. Just waking up to this fact spoiled my day.

Hanley and Harbrow - not much else to say. Really hard to understand when both of them actually played decent footy round 2. They really cost us any chance of winning.

Swallow disposal, decision making. Not impressed.

Witts was a major disappointment too. He should dominate yesterday.

Powell running on empty.

Turnovers.

Again undisciplined, no excuse for 50m penalties.

The last quarter was really disappointing. It left a bad taste. We reverted back to bad habits a bit in that quarter. Effort dropped.

Positives
Despite gifting Cats 6-8 goals we were in it for 3 quarters. The last year they destroyed us by 100+ points. The 2nd and beginning of 3rd quarter was great.

Great experience for our team, will learn from it. This is a tough trip, tough ground.

King is a beauty.

Day had a better game again.

How about Bowes shimmy through the traffic. Great to watch.

We got depth. I would replace Rowell, Hanley, Powell with Fiorini, Joyce and Rankine. Rest Witts if he is not right.

Last edited:
A few observations after the game.
The result was about right given where we are on the rebuild ladder. There was some degree of over confidence coming in (from supporters) but I believe this is where we are. Poor against Port, good against the bottom three teams (currently) and average/poor against Geelong. The last quarter was clearly the worst and we seemed to drop back into panic mode that has been so common over the years.
I've said it before so it's not something new but we are weak in defence and this will have to be addressed in 2021. Bowes and Lukosius will be mid or attacking forwards in future years (hopefully for us) and are gap filling right now. Corbett is a forward, Powell a wingman and Burgess is a stop gap player. Hombsch is slow and a good reserve but that's all. Joyce has been tried and failed many times. Harbow and Hanley on last legs - they did play poorly but we don't have anyone really to replace them so I think they stay.
Some of our 'loyal' boys just did not show up either - McPherson, Will and even Sexton had limited impact. Miller was back to his old spray 'em style of kicking but he wasn't alone there.
It'll be interesting to see which way Dew goes - Flanders, Brodie, Corbett, Sharp and of course Rankine are knocking down the doors so all should come under consideration BUT not an experienced back man among them.
We have improved - there is no doubt and a 37 point loss is not earth shattering.
.....and finally, what's with all the 50's? Are the umpires being too precious or are our boys being a bit lippy - cost us big time in the overall scheme of things.
Roll on Round 6 and Melbourne - it's winnable but won't be easy if Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Viney and Co get loose in the middle.

...and I forgot Fiorini - has to also be in the discussion.
Think all the 50's this week because of running through the protected area rather than any abuse or off the ball stuff like last week

Just some random thoughts.

Negatives
Rowell injury. Just waking up to this fact spoiled my day.

Hanley and Harbrow - not much else to say. Really hard to understand when both of them actually played decent footy round 2. They really cost us any chance of winning.

Swallow disposal, decision making. Not impressed.

Witts was a major disappointment too. He should dominate today.

Powell running on empty.

Turnovers.

Again undisciplined, no excuse for 50m penalties.

The last quarter was really disappointing. It left a bad taste. We reverted back to bad habits a bit in that quarter. Effort dropped.

Positives
Despite gifting Cats 6-8 goals we were in it for 3 quarters. The last year they destroyed us by 100+ points. The 2nd and beginning of 3rd quarter was great.

Great experience for our team, will learn from it. This is a tough trip, tough ground.

King is a beauty.

Day had a better game again.

We got depth. I would replace Rowell, Hanley, Powell with Fiorini, Joyce and Rankine. Rest Witts if he is not right.
Need Witts against Gawn next week.
The following week we play Sydney who don't have a ruckman.
Could arguably play Zach Smith and still have a significant advantage.

To be honest Smith would probably play better than Witts yesterday. Fort is not even close to an average r
Smith has the bonus of 2nd effort as well - Witts looked a bit cooked like the port game, but I back him to deliver next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished re-watching 3rd qtr. Really unbeliavable, we gave them 3 goals on a platter otherwise we would still be ahead. 2x 50m penalties (Harbrow and Miller) and absolute blunder from Hanley. Effort was there but turnovers really killed us. Some easy kicks straight to opposition. As much as I love Witts he was very poor in this quarter. Ok, time for the last quarter if I can handle it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back