Preview **UPDATE** Changes vs. Sydney - Saturday 11.45am WST

Remove this Banner Ad

With Brander out it looks far more balanced, as long as Waterman is in as a fwd not a pure wingman. Back to the 7 fwd, 6 mid mix. And the fwd line always seems to work better with Waterman up there imo.

Should allow the likes of Kelly and Shuey to rotate off the empty wing and mean more inside time for Redden and Sheed.

NN should be completely dominating this one too. Up against McLean and probably Aliir.
Still too tall, especially if Waterman is played forward. Kennedy, Darling, Oscar and Waterman is a vey slow forward line

Darling is undersized
On a serious note, Darling was soundly beaten by Trent ‘The Cannon’ McKenzie last week.

If JK is cooked and your other premier key forward is getting smashed by a flanker who couldn’t get a game with GCS, then it makes life pretty easy for opposition KPDs to zone off and intercept

Allir truly will be BOG

At the risk of being contrarian, I thought Jonas was on Darling and Clurey was on Kennedy most of the time last week.
Sure but he was on smaller defenders Houston and McKenzie at stages and had no impact. These two moments early were what stuck out 12358970-1CE8-458F-B815-72640D30EE69.gif 3C8673C7-F7F8-4003-B3A5-FB69A01767ED.gif

I am a fan of Watermans, but he can't go to the wing

The problem is the guy just doesn't have the tank

He experiences quite bad asthma doesn't he? From memory, he is always breathing extremely hard and goes for the puffer at the interchange bench.

He's more effective at half forward
Wasn't too long ago that we were praising his tank and potential to run as a high HFF (took Masto's role for a few games in 2018/19 iirc). He can gut run, and works hard. Hopefully we can see some of that.

Last edited:
Dont want to be harsh but should a guy with asthma that cant run out a game have been drafted at all?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kerr had really bad asthma and ditto Chick so sure it’s quite common. I also play Ammo footy games with plenty of blokes with asthma and they don’t have a problem.

Sure but he was on smaller defenders Houston and McKenzie at stages and had no impact. These two moments early were what stuck out View attachment 905690View attachment 905691

Fair enough. Whoever he was on, he had an absolute mare.

The previous week Darcy Gardiner gave him a bath. I rate Gardiner but he’s not exactly an AA at this stage either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could be wrong but wasn't he initially playing on a wing (or at least a very high half forward role) when he came into the side?

I think you are right, I do believe though he was positioned more or a very high half forward through rather a true winger. But i think in essence you are largely correct

Error after error after error after error

I actually thought we looked better so far than we have during any other game so far in QLD.

EDIT: In saying that, we still look unfit, disorganised and rusty.

Still too tall, especially if Waterman is played forward. Kennedy, Darling, Oscar and Waterman is a vey slow forward line
And that is why they wont all be playing forward at the same time and we have a bench. Pretty much as they were named.

Oscar is 2nd ruck and 3rd forward.

Waterman is a hff rotation. And he played well.

We looked much better abiet against lessor competion than the Lions or Port.

Shame about Shuey and JJ with their hammies though.

Can he be worse than Brander on the wing?
Not to be too harsh on Brander, since he's never got a fair go at his natural spot, but yeah Jake did more today than Brander has done in his entire career. Even patches of effective & influential footy is of more value to the team than an entire game of MEH.

I don't know how much the asthma really affects him but it's not too apparent to me. The one thing he has done since game 1 is work hard and get high up the ground to be a link-up guy when the ball isn't in the forward half. If you see him hunched over and breathing hard it might just be because he had just run his arse off rather than anything to do with asthma.

The four key forwards we played today were Kennedy, Darling, Allen and Waterman.

Kicked seven goals between them today (should have been eight if Kennedy hadn’t fluffed the easiest of the lost), that’s more goals than the entire team kicked in any of the first three hub games.

I don’t think that forward line up will work in all conditions against all teams, but it sure worked today.

I don’t think that forward line up will work in all conditions against all teams, but it sure worked today.

God no. Not even sure bc we won that tactic necessarily worked.

Kennedy and Darling have only played one good game each in 2020 and may next week the MC will considering resting one for team balance.

Waterman isnt a key forward.

He isnt much taller than Ah chee. He's a 3rd tall / medium forward and plays like it.
The player I’d compare him to would be Gunston. I think you’re splitting hairs as he can essentially fill both roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back