2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If there are dead games at the end of the season I dearly hope for the sake of the game the AFL tries a few rules changes and tells the moaners to go jump they probably dont watch it anyway.
The perfect season to do it 16 a side or no interchange zones just try it all put it out there people to digest the game needs it and leave the coaches totally out of it just say right it is 16 a side this week see how you go or 4 players must stay in forward zone and backwards kick is play on cop it sweet you created this now we try and fix it.

If there are dead games at the end of the season I dearly hope for the sake of the game the AFL tries a few rules changes and tells the moaners to go jump they probably dont watch it anyway.
The perfect season to do it 16 a side or no interchange zones just try it all put it out there people to digest the game needs it and leave the coaches totally out of it just say right it is 16 a side this week see how you go or 4 players must stay in forward zone and backwards kick is play on cop it sweet you created this now we try and fix it.

If they're going to do it, this season is as good as any. But loathe to draw conclusions from short quarter games.

I'd be more inclined to look at doing it for 2021 pre season.

Try doing a full ground zone press with 2 less players on your team to fill space. It will be much harder plus the additional running required to fill space will make the players more tired so they won't be able to get into zone defence positions as quickly and easily.
Plus as stated previously, less players the quality of those getting a game goes up, saves money as list sizes can be reduced by at least 4 etc etc.

Actually Clarko said something like that. Chris Scott was just responding to a question and said in response to questioning

Neither of them said anything about it being "mistake riddled"

I actually agree with Clarko on the holding the ball issue. Just significantly reduce "prior opportunity" to be "long enough to hand ball it immediately" would get rid of the vast majority of incorrect disposal that is currently allowed.
Someone put out some actual stats. Holding the ball frees are being paid at about 1 every 14 tackles.

It used to be over 20 tackles.

So, they are paying more holding the balls than they used to. So, maybe they should pay less?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Try doing a full ground zone press with 2 less players on your team to fill space. It will be much harder plus the additional running required to fill space will make the players more tired so they won't be able to get into zone defence positions as quickly and easily.
Plus as stated previously, less players the quality of those getting a game goes up, saves money as list sizes can be reduced by at least 4 etc etc.

I think it will be marginally harder but it wouldn't be "linear" as the other side of the ledger is there would be only 16 players on the team with possession as well.

The risk in the other direction is the game could become too uncontested

I think it will be marginally harder but it wouldn't be "linear" as the other side of the ledger is there would be only 16 players on the team with possession as well.

If it becomes too uncontested though teams will likely go back to one on ones to defend as opposed to zones.

Could it result in teams just having even less players in the forward line?

Play frees for failing to dispose of the ball and for throwing the ball with dodgy handballs that allow teams to crowd contests and then work it out by throwing the ball rather than striking the ball off the palm.

Great call on the weekend when Hurley took the ball, was tackled and then just let go of the ball for one of his team mates to collect. Was shocked when it was paid and then cost a game.

It used to be unless the ball was held to you you had to dispose of the ball legally.

Interesting grab from this article as we don't get foxtel's broader numbers

Foxtel said on Monday its ratings were up 21 per cent year-on-year across the group's linear and video on demand platforms, including Kayo, the streaming service which has been a key driver of the growth.

Plus less opportunity cost.

Foxtel already has bought the AFL rights. Putting it on Kayo just means more avenues to bring money in to pay it off.

Collingwood V Essendon TV Audience:

Melbourne:
Adelaide: 85,000
Perth: 83,000
Sydney: 32,000
Brisbane: 30,000

FTA: 664,000

Regional: 206,000

Fox Footy: 251,000

Total: 1,121,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smashing the nrl for ratings this year, just shows the difference when you have a rolling fixture and more tv friendly timeslots like they've always had. Plus the 80k that would have been at a game like last night's at home watching instead.

Don't think they are publicising them this year.

Queensland clubs would be current leaders
Yeh not really interested in who is winning any race. More so how many are actually attending. Are stadiums getting what they are allowed to? If not why not? Ticket prices? Unavailability?

Any details of attendances so far?
Don't think they are publicising them this year.

Queensland clubs would be current leaders

Nah, they are being posted.
Round 5 Crowds
Brisbane vs Port - Gabba - 10,161
GWS vs Hawthorn - Showground - 5,674
Sydney vs West Coast - Metricon - 2,238
Adelaide vs Fremantle - Metricon - 418
The Rest - 0

Yeh not really interested in who is winning any race. More so how many are actually attending. Are stadiums getting what they are allowed to? If not why not? Ticket prices? Unavailability?

I have to say they're not doing a great job of publicising ticket sales. Plenty of complaints online about people not knowing about how to get tickets.

The derby goes on sale tomorrow, but still no news about the Geelong v Collingwood game 3 days earlier. Which is the game they really need to promote if they want a decent crowd there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back