Autopsy Eagles defeat Swans by 34

Remove this Banner Ad

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
We are going around in circles, we havent lost our 3 best tall forwards - we lost buddy- McCartin hasnt been forward f all this year and reid we went over but whatever

i conceded we lost out best ruck but he isnt nic nats a-hole , brand is unproven

im only as stubborn as you, we keep going back over the same sh*t, i think the injuries are being used as an excuse, you think they are an excuse

put that aside i think you and I are actually both similarly pleased with yesterday and the season considering where the list is at, we just disagree on whats missing and its impact would that be a fair summary?

positives to me are and obviously all have work to do but i have florent mcinnerney rowbottom i feel i can look at and see a strong future

ive still got parker at 27, i have hewett if he signs on as a good run with player who can kick a goal

lloyd i kmow what i get, he can find it
mclean looks at least serviceable

i have papley as great small forward

still have heeney and mills at worst are b grade 200 gamers at either end

blakey is a tease but geez theres something there

i just have a few i could go either way on aliir, hayward - who have looked good but concern me more at times

then i have some dead wood, but tries hard and older guys
Round in stubborn circles we go..
I reckon we have lost our best three tall forwards. Buddy, Reid and McCartin. Name someone on our list who is better. (McCartin plays much better with one or both of Buddy and Reid in the team,, and is a young developing tall that has shown a lot of potential)

Yes we lost our best Ruck and Naismith would've competed with Nic Nat. We also lost our 2nd best ruck in Sinkers who would've competed better than Allirr and McLean did, and The only other true ruck on the list is Knoll (how he would've gone is anyones guess - probably would've been smashed)

We lost Brand (who is favoured above Melican) and during the game we lost Melican. That leaves the back 6 under all sorts of pressure and playing out of position. Someone has to cover the oppos full forward.

Yesterdays game was heart breaking because of the injuries to key players in key positions.. The small forwards didn't get a go (lack of talls), the mids were under constant pressure (lack of ruck) which in turn took more opportunity away from the forwards and put the defence under huge pressure..
A bad day for development

I agree with all the positives you say,, all the Names you mention. My point is that all those players are under the pump at the moment and the team is in a terrible state for developing the young guys. - mainly due to the injuries to key positions. Id imagine a McInerney would show his speed more if the team was winning.. Heeneys start to the game was ace.. but then he had no more opportunity.. the same can be said about most of the players.
Theres 4 x 2019 draftees, + Foot, Ling and OConnor who I have hi hopes for, plus others I have no judgement on (Rowles, Amartey etc)
Lets not talk about dead wood, I'm sure we'll disagree on a few. But a lot of that dead wood is necessary to add a bit of experience to a young list. Im sure they won't still be here 2-3 years from now.

Round in stubborn circles we go..
I reckon we have lost our best three tall forwards. Buddy, Reid and McCartin. Name someone on our list who is better. (McCartin plays much better with one or both of Buddy and Reid in the team,, and is a young developing tall that has shown a lot of potential)

Yes we lost our best Ruck and Naismith would've competed with Nic Nat. We also lost our 2nd best ruck in Sinkers who would've competed better than Allirr and McLean did, and The only other true ruck on the list is Knoll (how he would've gone is anyones guess - probably would've been smashed)

We lost Brand (who is favoured above Melican) and during the game we lost Melican. That leaves the back 6 under all sorts of pressure and playing out of position. Someone has to cover the oppos full forward.

Yesterdays game was heart breaking because of the injuries to key players in key positions.. The small forwards didn't get a go (lack of talls), the mids were under constant pressure (lack of ruck) which in turn took more opportunity away from the forwards and put the defence under huge pressure..
A bad day for development

I agree with all the positives you say,, all the Names you mention. My point is that all those players are under the pump at the moment and the team is in a terrible state for developing the young guys. - mainly due to the injuries to key positions. Id imagine a McInerney would show his speed more if the team was winning.. Heeneys start to the game was ace.. but then he had no more opportunity.. the same can be said about most of the players.
Theres 4 x 2019 draftees, + Foot, Ling and OConnor who I have hi hopes for, plus others I have no judgement on (Rowles, Amartey etc)
Lets not talk about dead wood, I'm sure we'll disagree on a few. But a lot of that dead wood is necessary to add a bit of experience to a young list. Im sure they won't still be here 2-3 years from now.

Let’s just agree to disagree because Reid is useless as a bull with **** so yeah..

We have both made our points repeatedly I’m sure yours is more popular

I am not doom and gloom on the list don’t get me wrong, it’s a process

But I do like your passion and clear love for the team

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Let’s just agree to disagree because Reid is useless as a bull with **** so yeah..

We have both made our points repeatedly I’m sure yours is more popular

I am not doom and gloom on the list don’t get me wrong, it’s a process

But I do like your passion and clear love for the team
Yep .. agree to disagree
Most of what you say makes complete sense to me and isn't caught up with unrealistic optimism (I try to not get caught up aswell)
Its a process, and a process that'll be good to watch over the next few years

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Aliir a clogger. Ridiculous.
Really poor second half, decent first half.
unfortunately we are probably the worst side in the comp right now. the forward line is a disaster, the midfield is weak, ruck none existent and the backline disorganised and lacks penetration trying to exit.
we have 5-6 lost cloggers getting games right now, Aliir, Gray, Cunningham, Melican, Ronke to make a few.
I think we need to play our brightest young stars right now and try and generate a half decent brand because right now we don’t have a brand at all.
Horse is shuffling around players providing players with no certain role and rendering players like Heeney Mills, Dawson ineffectual.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

As usual, GWS media way ahead of ours.

From photos you can see Wicks, Thurlow, Taylor x 2, Foot, Stephens, Maibaum played.

Is that ling in the second photo?

Our media department is so useless, i barely even know what he looks like.

From photos you can see Wicks, Thurlow, Taylor x 2, Foot, Stephens, Maibaum played.
What a terrific report, someone needs to send that to the Swans media team as an example of what fans really want to read.
That and a reminder that we'd like it within a day not a week of the actual game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Forwards are a shambles. Two words Steve Johnson. One of the worst coaches in the business.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Always had my doubts about him as an appointment. Such a maverick player, which was his strength. Not sure the qualities that made him so good are very usable for more conventional players.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
watched this game. made a long post at half time and my computer crashed so you and the match committee failed to get my very valuable insights.

In truth the match was like a division 1 team playing against a div 2 or 3 side in soccer. The lower class can often jag a goal early and if thigns go right the stress of being better but not winning can make for a tight contest. Unfortunately we were always 1 or 2 tiny mistakes would mean if they capitalised and got a lead we'd never be able to pull it back.

We simply dont have the firepower to kick 10 goals at the moment and absent some really bad kicking by opponents we simply can't compete.

The problems begin with the ruck. We are absolutely threadbare in this area and once they worked out that they could tap it in any direction in a largely uncontested way we were forced to defend repeatedly.

Secondly we need some help in the inside mids. JPK was amaziong as was parker and florent (as has been said elsewhere) got his hands on it lots but simply turned the ball over. I think he simply needs to be told to look up and kick to space - not to try and hit players but make it a ball on the ground and trust our forwards.Apart from those three the cupboard is bare.

The forward line is a completely dysfunctional mess. Heeney is playing as a tall who flies for everything. If this is his lot for the next decade he will be even more broken down than Dermott by 30. Ronke is a poor man's Rohan and that is what it is. Hayward who is actually good for a goal a game has basically struggled ever since he got the kicking yips and yesterday was no different. But precisely why we are playing him off half back is a mystery to me.

Defence is not much better. rampe, mills and allir are frequently under sized and mismatched,

On the other hand we saw a very fast attacking style - one which haven't mastered and led to us conceding goals It perplexes me that the anti horse brigade dont or wont concede this readily. I'm not in that camp so was reasonably pleased to see a different style of play But not being pro Horse either I've go to say that we dimply didnt look like we believed that we could manufacture goals with this team and this style. We need about 3 papleys and heeneys and we dont have them and accordingly we have no chance of beating these other top teams.

We're a fair bit finally we cannot be relying on recruiting persons other than 25 year old list cloggers. 25 year old superstars dont grow on trees and we have nothing to offer - no money and no realistic flag ambitions

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
watched this game. made a long post at half time and my computer crashed so you and the match committee failed to get my very valuable insights.

In truth the match was like a division 1 team playing against a div 2 or 3 side in soccer. The lower class can often jag a goal early and if thigns go right the stress of being better but not winning can make for a tight contest. Unfortunately we were always 1 or 2 tiny mistakes would mean if they capitalised and got a lead we'd never be able to pull it back.

We simply dont have the firepower to kick 10 goals at the moment and absent some really bad kicking by opponents we simply can't compete.

The problems begin with the ruck. We are absolutely threadbare in this area and once they worked out that they could tap it in any direction in a largely uncontested way we were forced to defend repeatedly.

Secondly we need some help in the inside mids. JPK was amaziong as was parker and florent (as has been said elsewhere) got his hands on it lots but simply turned the ball over. I think he simply needs to be told to look up and kick to space - not to try and hit players but make it a ball on the ground and trust our forwards.Apart from those three the cupboard is bare.

The forward line is a completely dysfunctional mess. Heeney is playing as a tall who flies for everything. If this is his lot for the next decade he will be even more broken down than Dermott by 30. Ronke is a poor man's Rohan and that is what it is. Hayward who is actually good for a goal a game has basically struggled ever since he got the kicking yips and yesterday was no different. But precisely why we are playing him off half back is a mystery to me.

Defence is not much better. rampe, mills and allir are frequently under sized and mismatched,

On the other hand we saw a very fast attacking style - one which haven't mastered and led to us conceding goals It perplexes me that the anti horse brigade dont or wont concede this readily. I'm not in that camp so was reasonably pleased to see a different style of play But not being pro Horse either I've go to say that we dimply didnt look like we believed that we could manufacture goals with this team and this style. We need about 3 papleys and heeneys and we dont have them and accordingly we have no chance of beating these other top teams.

We're a fair bit finally we cannot be relying on recruiting persons other than 25 year old list cloggers. 25 year old superstars dont grow on trees and we have nothing to offer - no money and no realistic flag ambitions

So in summary

#eco

:p

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
No no no, don't be stupid guys, this isn't a match report, it's a Melbourne teams shopping list.

The reason why we don't have one is because Melbourne doesn't like shopping from us...

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

While it would be nice to have some more info on the guys not currently in the AFL team, reading through those reports on the GWS players you get:

"really strong inside and continues to produce an AFL-level product at this level"
"Another strong performance... ready to go when called upon"
"relished the new role inside... tackled unbelievably well... some great run on the outside."
"just brimming along and he’s AFL-ready for when the call comes"
"covered the ground really well... he hasn’t missed a beat. He had a bit of a jump in the ruck and was great"
"really strong again... He’s covering the ground as well as we’ve seen"
"His case for AFL just keeps getting stronger and stronger... He’s going to be a great inclusion when it comes.”
"He’s just becoming a really strong and consistent winger for us... his ball use is as good as we’ve seen"
"A really strong performance"
"definitely his best game for the year... really strong defensively today... on the right path in his development to get back to AFL level."
"He was good two weeks ago, better last week and then even better today...He’s another one pushing his case"
"He couldn’t be going much better... his running is so strong and he’s clean."
"didn’t look like he missed a beat. He was strong, he was quick, he was clean"

It would appear that every GWS player is strong, great, covering the ground well, doing as well as ever, clean, hasn't missed a beat and ready to play AFL.

I just want to be able to watch the footage so I can make my own judgements rather than reading purely positive PR copy.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
While it would be nice to have some more info on the guys not currently in the AFL team, reading through those reports on the GWS players you get:

"really strong inside and continues to produce an AFL-level product at this level"
"Another strong performance... ready to go when called upon"
"relished the new role inside... tackled unbelievably well... some great run on the outside."
"just brimming along and he’s AFL-ready for when the call comes"
"covered the ground really well... he hasn’t missed a beat. He had a bit of a jump in the ruck and was great"
"really strong again... He’s covering the ground as well as we’ve seen"
"His case for AFL just keeps getting stronger and stronger... He’s going to be a great inclusion when it comes.”
"He’s just becoming a really strong and consistent winger for us... his ball use is as good as we’ve seen"
"A really strong performance"
"definitely his best game for the year... really strong defensively today... on the right path in his development to get back to AFL level."
"He was good two weeks ago, better last week and then even better today...He’s another one pushing his case"
"He couldn’t be going much better... his running is so strong and he’s clean."
"didn’t look like he missed a beat. He was strong, he was quick, he was clean"

It would appear that every GWS player is strong, great, covering the ground well, doing as well as ever, clean, hasn't missed a beat and ready to play AFL.

I just want to be able to watch the footage so I can make my own judgements rather than reading purely positive PR copy.
Positively North Korean, isn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back