Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac Mainwaring played a pre season yesterday in the Colts i see according to the West.

Paywall though.

Late Eagles great Chris Mainwaring’s son Zac debuts for Claremont colts in dad’s famous number three jumper
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Saturday, 4 July 2020 7:00PM
Jordan McArdle

Claremont's Zac Mainwaring kicked three goals in his stunning colts debut.
Claremont's Zac Mainwaring kicked three goals in his stunning colts debut. Credit: Daniel Wilkins/The Sunday Times

Zac Mainwaring did the No.3 guernsey proud in a sparkling Claremont colts debut on Saturday.
Claremont's Zac Mainwaring attempts to scoop up the footy.
Claremont's Zac Mainwaring attempts to scoop up the footy. Credit: Daniel Wilkins/The Sunday Times
The Mainwaring name graced the WAFL again with 18-year-old Zac booting three goals in the Tigers’ two-point pre-season loss to South Fremantle at Revo Fitness Stadium.
The son of Chris, the late West Coast and East Fremantle great who won a flag in his first season in the WAFL to go with two in the AFL, sparked his team's fight-back with a three-goal third term including a snap from the boundary.
“I love playing in the No.3, it means a lot to me, representing Dad. I do it whenever I can,” Zac said.
After starting in the midfield, the 177cm teen moved into the forward line, where he played regularly for Scotch College last year, and looked right at home.
“I don’t normally play a midfield role, I play mainly up forward so it was good to get a run through there and see how physical colts footy really is because this is my first year,” he said.
“I played up forward a lot last year when I was playing for Scotch, so I felt at home down there and knew what to do when I got the footy.
“Maybe if I put on a bit more size and get a bit more knowledge of how to play, it might be a bit different.”
Zac, who is firming for an opening-round berth against Subiaco on July 18, chose Claremont over his dad’s old club because he wanted to play with his school mates.
Claremont's Zac Mainwaring lays a tackle on South Fremantle's Darryl Anderson.
Claremont's Zac Mainwaring lays a tackle on South Fremantle's Darryl Anderson. Credit: Daniel Wilkins/The Sunday Times
“I could’ve gone to East Freo but when I was under-14s I decided to come down to Claremont because all my mates were here and it’s been great ever since,” he said.
While playing in the AFL would be “great”, the West Coast father-son prospect recently started a pre-apprenticeship course with the hope of becoming an electrician and is keen to help the Tigers win back-to-back colts flags.
As for the traits Zac reckons he shares with his dad?
“I guess my running, I’m quick, but I think I can kick a bit straighter than him, he didn’t kick many goals,” he said with a laugh.

Same height as Zac Fisher 177cm, who is also pretty quick. Hopefully, he's as good in traffic. WA had a strong group last year so it's no real surprise he wasn't included in the champs given his size. Might be a late developer.

Ben Evans is eligible for the 2020 draft, wonder if he's close to playing for Claremont.

Last edited:
Speaking of future drafts, wait for 2023. Kid called Tyzreise Clark will come through West Coast NGA (they won't get dibs in draft though). Last year, at 14 years old, he came 4th in the Kalgoorlie Colts best and fairest, which is a fairly competitive non-state competition. Kicked 73 goals in 15 games in his own age group too. Has been breaking athletics records so is incredibly athletic.

Anyone know why we wont get first crack at this kid in 3 years?

Speaking of future drafts, wait for 2023. Kid called Tyzreise Clark will come through West Coast NGA (they won't get dibs in draft though). Last year, at 14 years old, he came 4th in the Kalgoorlie Colts best and fairest, which is a fairly competitive non-state competition. Kicked 73 goals in 15 games in his own age group too. Has been breaking athletics records so is incredibly athletic.

I dont know, if he's tied to our NGA dont we just get first dibs. Isnt that the point? We are due for some luck with NGA; got Cameron but Freo have been on a good run lately with Henry and I think 2 more top 40 prospects this year.

Fingers crossed for young Mainwaring but at that height, he will need some tricks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because if he’s really good the Vic’s will change the draft rules for one season, before changing them back after we miss out on him?

He's indigenous but not from our allocated Pilbara zone.

I dont know, if he's tied to our NGA dont we just get first dibs. Isnt that the point? We are due for some luck with NGA; got Cameron but Freo have been on a good run lately with Henry and I think 2 more top 40 prospects this year.

Fingers crossed for young Mainwaring but at that height, he will need some tricks
Keep an eye out for Lawson Humphries and Ethan Regan who are eligible next year.

Wasn't there an attacking half back we had access to?

I remember he looked really good last year.

Dark Dharks- That would be:

Jordan Berry.
West Perth kid from Ocean Reef.
177 cm 70 kg 26:07:02.

Very speedy player with a raking left foot on him.

Terrific attacking HBF that has scope IMO to play in a few other positions further up the ground.

I have only seen him last year so he may have grown therefore the stats above may well be obsolete.

I thought he was a good prospect and one to definitely keep the monocle on in 2020.

Obviously The China Virus has put paid to that.

Lawson Humphries any relation to Jarrod, who was going to play ressies for us pre-COVID?

Oh, and is Ethan Regan any relation to David?
Not sure to be honest.

As far as football goes, Humphries is a defender with a high level of skill who doesn't shirk the one percenters. Uses his non preferred left as much as his right.

I'd like to see him be more aggressive and take the game on more, when he does the opposition have a hard time catching him.

Regan is tall and rangy. Physically he looks like Isaac Smith out there. Plays wherever they need him basically.

Seen him ruck, play forward, back and on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back