DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agreed. He and Turner 1 2

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not sure what the stats will say. I reckon they both get into some highly contested situations and then let fly with a poor kick or are exhausted by the time they have a bit of space and then let fly.

However I reckon i’ve seen dumont turner and Jed do some really nice entries into forward 50 where they take the weight off the kick. Probably those three have done it better and more consistently than anyone since boomer. That’s a tough kick.

I guess I’m saying hold the faith. It’s tough to play good footy when the team are struggling.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is actually capable of kicking the footy well, he was genuinely a skilful junior.

But for whatever reason he struggles even when in open space. Since he done his hamstring he really stabs at the ball and doesn’t kick through with any follow up.

When you are only getting 14-16 touches per game you have to make them count, and at the moment he isn’t.

I’m not sure what the stats will say. I reckon they both get into some highly contested situations and then let fly with a poor kick or are exhausted by the time they have a bit of space and then let fly.

However I reckon i’ve seen dumont turner and Jed do some really nice entries into forward 50 where they take the weight off the kick. Probably those three have done it better and more consistently than anyone since boomer. That’s a tough kick.

I guess I’m saying hold the faith. It’s tough to play good footy when the team are struggling.

I agree. Apart from the last few weeks Anderson is one of the few players I like delivering the ball to Brown cos it's usually well weighted for him to run onto not on his head in the square or (apart from the weekend) a metre over his head.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Look, I get that Jed's use has been a bit off lately...

..But in a team that features 2x ex-Port guys picking and choosing contests, one of whom despite being arguably our best kick lazily kicks into the mark early in a game, senior defenders who have yet to work out how to execute a tackle, a young "bovine" who starts trying trick shots and one handers in party mode 5 minutes into games as if we were 80 points up with 5 minutes to go in a grand final... or a fast 200 gamer who is actually very slow.. or a collection of gifted footballers who can collectively emerge from a game with less touches than the goal umpire at the North Melbourne end..

..I wouldn't be honing in on one of the few guys actually putting in every game.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you get it 16 times a game and you are playing in the middle, and you give it to the opposition 4 time a game in the corridor, then you should be honed in on. If we continually accept mediocre disposal and decision making then we will absolutely continue to be mediocre in those areas and be well away from competing.

Last edited:

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

..But in a team that features 2x ex-Port guys picking and choosing contests, one of whom despite being arguably our best kick lazily kicks into the mark early in a game, senior defenders who have yet to work out how to execute a tackle, a young "bovine" who starts trying trick shots and one handers in party mode 5 minutes into games as if we were 80 points up with 5 minutes to go in a grand final... or a fast 200 gamer who is actually very slow.. or a collection of gifted footballers who can collectively emerge from a game with less touches than the goal umpire at the North Melbourne end..

..I wouldn't be honing in on one of the few guys actually putting in every game.
Trust me, being critical of ones blokes kicking isn't mutually exclusive of expecting more of others. But the suggestion he has good skills is so far off the mark it isn't funny.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Trust me, being critical of ones blokes kicking isn't mutually exclusive of expecting more of others. But the suggestion he has good skills is so far off the mark it isn't funny.

We can't fix everything at once.

Therefore I'd be looking at team weaknesses related to application and concentration before making an example of a hardworking player who would only be a rotation inside mid/HF when everyone is available who is currently going through some disposal issues.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I think we are putting most of the ones you mentioned on blast already.
There are close to 10 players who are below standard in the side at the moment.
Probably 5 players who bring a very good level of football pretty much every week and then the rest are so so.

Jed, as hard as he tries is currently a terrible kick, along with the likes of JZ, Pittard, Jmac, Lmac, Atley, cant carry them all.

showusyacunningt

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2010
doghouse
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Haleing goals
20200706-085836.jpg

Snap goal

Debutant
Jul 20, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I think we are putting most of the ones you mentioned on blast already.
There are close to 10 players who are below standard in the side at the moment.
Probably 5 players who bring a very good level of football pretty much every week and then the rest are so so.

Jed, as hard as he tries is currently a terrible kick, along with the likes of JZ, Pittard, Jmac, Lmac, Atley, cant carry them all.
Dont forget to add Marley Williams to the list. Kicks mongrel torps more often then drop punts!

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We can't fix everything at once.

Therefore I'd be looking at team weaknesses related to application and concentration before making an example of a hardworking player who would only be a rotation inside mid/HF when everyone is available who is currently going through some disposal issues.
Currently going through some issues suggests it is something new for him

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

billnats

All Australian
Feb 4, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
SMFC & Tottenham
Also leads the old clanger count, ahead of our other butcher JZ.
You’re right, he’s an inside midfielder ranked 32nd in the league. Way below Bont, Yeo, Ablett, Fyfe, Oliver, Selwood and Cripps. Because inside midfielders play constantly under pressure.

Yes, he’s had a couple poor kicks in the last two weeks but the use of his clanger count is misguided. Typically, he’s a great decision maker and as others have mentioned he usually kicks well to a lead.

But let’s making him a whipping boy because he’s kicking action may not look as authentic as others.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I rate Jed but gee he's gotta do something about his kicking. His influence in other areas are really cannibalized by his turn overs.

If he's not capable of improving his kicking he's got one of two options really, become a strict handball first player with limited kicking OR no longer our best 22.

We cannot continue to allow players with poor skills to notch up 200+ games.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You’re right, he’s an inside midfielder ranked 32nd in the league. Way below Bont, Yeo, Ablett, Fyfe, Oliver, Selwood and Cripps. Because inside midfielders play constantly under pressure.

Yes, he’s had a couple poor kicks in the last two weeks but the use of his clanger count is misguided. Typically, he’s a great decision maker and as others have mentioned he usually kicks well to a lead.

But let’s making him a whipping boy because he’s kicking action may not look as authentic as others.
So Jed is better than Bot, Fyfe and Cripps now is he?

It's not about being a whipping boy for me, I don't think his kicking is all that bad in general. What is an issue is that teams are structuring up for him to win the ball and bomb because he's not able or getting the assistance via an outlet in the middle often enough. That's not a kicking issue per se but it is a issue as without Cunnington we're winning plenty of the ball and handing it straight back. I wouldn't be putting that all on him... with 6-6-6 we should not be getting cooked from 9/10 contests following a centre square clearance.

billnats

All Australian
Feb 4, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
SMFC & Tottenham
So Jed is better than Bot, Fyfe and Cripps now is he?
Did you read what I wrote?

You can’t use his clanger count to compare him to others in our team. Just like you wouldn’t judge the others to their teammates because they’re inside mids so naturally will have a higher count.

His value to our team far outweighs one-two dodgy kicks a game.If you stack up his goal involvements and pressure acts, he is so far ahead of others in the team

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I love him and I simultaneously hate him sometimes.

He's an enigma and one that generally good sides are able to mask his short commings, but sometimes they are glaringly obvious in a side that isn't going to well.

He needs to step up as a senior player in the absence of Cunnington and Higgins, especially if someone like Bonar is sent in there more.

He's struggled with that at times in his North career.

I still see him having a potential future as a half forward, despite him struggling with it at times.

Back