2020 VFL season - standalone focus only

Remove this Banner Ad

I know plenty of people at Coburg who'd take Preston for the year over WH regardless of rivalry. Supporter base skewed much closer to Preston out of the two. Also ground is enclosed unlike WH.
Eh, fair enough. Hopefully crowds will be allowed at some point.

Eh, fair enough. Hopefully crowds will be allowed at some point.

With nearly all local footy (including VAFA where players also weren’t being paid) now cancelled, I very much doubt crowds will be permitted at an VFL game (if they actually proceed.

Casey Demons have withdrawn from 2020 VFL Season citing medical and health grounds

I Understand the remaining 7 clubs are still keen to play a season talks continue with clubs and AFL

Coburg vs Sandringham to start season on August 1. Full fixture out in coming days.

Attachments

• 485A371E-CD8D-4F39-92EC-10A68D37B651.jpeg
    485A371E-CD8D-4F39-92EC-10A68D37B651.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
With nearly all local footy (including VAFA where players also weren’t being paid) now cancelled, I very much doubt crowds will be permitted at an VFL game (if they actually proceed.

This is the reason Outer East pulled the pin.
basically only people allowed at the ground are those essential to the game.

I said years ago, it would have been best for the VFA/VFL standalones to 'jump ship' before they were pushed.

By jumping ship (especially as a block of clubs) you have a little power to neogitate outcomes, then when you are shown the door (like North Ballarat).

I know some favour Port going to the Southern league, Williamstown to the WRFL, Coburg to the EDFL, etc, but personally I would prefer if the likes of Port, Willi, Coburg, Frankston, Sandy and Werribee neogitated a 'merger' into the VAFA.

Merge those 6 into the VAFA Premier A, have a 16 team division for one year, relegate the bottom six into Premier B after the first season (with 2 allowed up from Premier B), then relegate the bottome 4 the second season (with 2 allowed up) until you smooth out the Divisions to equal numbers.

Those old VFA clubs with the bigger VAFA clubs would provide great rivalries.

Sorry but Willy v Old Scotch / Xavier etc. doesn't do much for me.

No offence to those great old school teams, they are very good, but they have nothing in common, culture or structure wise with Willy, Port and the rest of the old VFA.

Sorry but Willy v Old Scotch / Xavier etc. doesn't do much for me.

No offence to those great old school teams, they are very good, but they have nothing in common, culture or structure wise with Willy, Port and the rest of the old VFA.
I agree with this. The old VFA sides are community clubs, while the bulk of VAFA sides are private school old boys. The two comps have virtually nothing in common other than the fact they play the same code.

Box Hill signed Matt Hammelmann. Will be interesting to see how he goes, probably his last chance of getting drafted over the next 2 years.

How are Weribee going to play given the lockdown in Western suburbs?
Coburg and Willy next most affected I would imagine.

If things in Western suburbs and some northern continue to have cases, AFL Victoria will probably pull the pin on this by start of August.

2020 VFL Season has been cancelled expect an Official announcement in the coMing hours

First time since 1944 no vfa/vfl season to be played

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back