Review Round 5, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches' votes are interesting:

Brisbane v Port Adelaide
9 Lachie Neale (BL)
5 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
4 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
4 Harris Andrews (BL)
3 Daniel Rich (BL)
3 Zak Butters (PORT)
2 Daniel McStay (BL)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/462474/coaches-votes-r5-bomber-makes-his-move-jack-steals-perfect-10

One coach has given Lyons BoG, the other didn't think he was in the top 5.

It reflects my own feelings a bit. I thought he was clearly our best player, and was a bit surprised to find he wasn't comfortably winning our poll.

In other news, not only is Lachie Neale leading the votes, but he is paying just $3 to win the Brownlow at the TAB.

If these things (when they are aggravated) are better off snapped? Because they are not really needed.
Can they go in and just cut them. To save the hassle and ongoing pain.

I think the low incidence of them ever becoming a problem makes it unnecessary. No surgery is without risk. Could damage nerve or other tissue, or pick up an infection.

I think the low incidence of them ever becoming a problem makes it unnecessary. No surgery is without risk. Could damage nerve or other tissue, or pick up an infection.
I wonder if that is what snapped in my calf a few year ago?
I had been struggling with a sore Mid calf area progressively getting worse.
Stepped backwards one day and Literally felt something snap in that area, bloody hurt and was very sore for a week or so but it was the best thing that happened because it was then fine and never had a problem with it since.
I was doing it pretty tough at the time and couldn’t afford to have any time off work, so just kept working through it.

One coach has given Lyons BoG, the other didn't think he was in the top 5.

It reflects my own feelings a bit. I thought he was clearly our best player, and was a bit surprised to find he wasn't comfortably winning our poll.

In other news, not only is Lachie Neale leading the votes, but he is paying just $3 to win the Brownlow at the TAB.

Lyons is blitzing it this year, absolutely flying.

Some curated 2020 league-wide rankings: (i hope correct)

Ranked 2nd in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 4th in Score Involvements Per Game
Ranked 9th in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 9th in Total Contested Possessions
And Lions leader for Clangers too ;)

Best thing is we've generally got Neale,McCluggage or someone else beating him or hovering just behind in many of those stats. Best example is Neale being 2nd for score involvements, with Lyons/McCluggage tied for 4th.

I think his gameplay intertwines with Neales nicely (also McCluggage and Berry too while i'm at it)

A perfect 4 weeks.

As a born and bred Sandgroper beating both WA teams is beautiful, but beating Adelaide (the Umpires Flagrantly Cheated game against Fitzroy) And Port (2004, I was close enough to jump the fence and clean up Chocco - would’ve missed like Lynchy) made it perfect.

Alexandra Daddorio would top it off perfectly.

Anyone notice their runner (Cornes) on the field during the second quarter when no goal had been kicked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this has been mentioned already.

I’m not a fan of us shutting up shop and trying to slow the game down when we believe we have a game winning lead.

We came out in the fourth quarter with no intention of playing how we did in the first three quarters.

It’s not the first time we’ve done this either.

Personally, it ruins the game for me. Yeah we win. But I leave feeling flat.

I can understand running down the last couple of minutes, but to shut up shop with more than half a quarter to go annoys the crap out of me.

I’m not a fan of us shutting up shop and trying to slow the game down when we believe we have a game winning lead.

We came out in the fourth quarter with no intention of playing how we did in the first three quarters.

I can understand running down the last couple of minutes, but to shut up shop with more than half a quarter to go annoys the crap out of me.
If you walk away feeling flat after a game like that, then you are a hard man to please.

I think there might've been a bit of self-preservation at play in the last quarter, knowing that we only have a five-day break before paying Geelong in Sydney.
Also a man down for nearly the whole match. Probably out of gas and just unable to sustain their style of play from the first 3 quarters.

Also a man down for nearly the whole match. Probably out of gas and just unable to sustain their style of play from the first 3 quarters.
Both teams were out of gas half way through the 3rd quarter imo.

I looked at Robbo after he ran half the length of the field to kick that goal whenever it was and thought he looks totally exhausted.

The key in footy is to capitalise when you have the upper hand and nullify the opposition when they do.

It's not possible to keep playing the level we did in the 2nd quarter unless your opposition is hopeless which Port Adelaide aren't.

We were also a man down and kept them to 2 goals - Port had to try and win and we didn't let them - it's smart football.

I thought it was actually Rayner's best game for the club - great energy and involvement and definitely is improving his endurance. No way they will drop T Berry. Straight swap of Zorko for CEY. After 4 wins on the trot, there will be no other unforced changes. That's Fagan's philosophy and nothing Geelong has to offer should cause him to do otherwise. Definitely prefer Cameron playing more up the ground - Bews blanketed him last time and he won't have the pace to cover Charlie if he keeps moving like he did against the Power.

I thought it was actually Rayner's best game for the club - great energy and involvement and definitely is improving his endurance. No way they will drop T Berry. Straight swap of Zorko for CEY. After 4 wins on the trot, there will be no other unforced changes. That's Fagan's philosophy and nothing Geelong has to offer should cause him to do otherwise. Definitely prefer Cameron playing more up the ground - Bews blanketed him last time and he won't have the pace to cover Charlie if he keeps moving like he did against the Power.

Charlie kicked 5 last time against Geelong although Chris Scott didn't rate his game.

Charlie kicked 5 last time against Geelong although Chris Scott didn't rate his game.
Yeah.

Would throw him a curve ball if Charlie played a bit more up the ground . T Berry has added an x factor imo in that no one sees him coming and playing a defensive role as he does frees up Rayner , Charlie and to an extent McCarthy who all seem to be playing with a bit more freedom.

I'm probably over analysing. Improved fitness levels of all of the above also a big factor.

Yeah.

Would throw him a curve ball if Charlie played a bit more up the ground . T Berry has added an x factor imo in that no one sees him coming and playing a defensive role as he does frees up Rayner , Charlie and to an extent McCarthy who all seem to be playing with a bit more freedom.

I'm probably over analysing. Improved fitness levels of all of the above also a big factor.
IIR T Berry put a handball over a pack when in the sth forward pocket into the arms of Bailey who squeezed a goal. Loved it.

Back