Autopsy Round 5, 2020: Hawthorn falls in a heap against the Giants

Nah ceglar was well beaten to the ball but ran straight through smiths space. If he hasn’t worked out which way smith is going to go then he never will.
If Smith had kicked with his right, Ceglar wouldn't have been an issue. He got the ball and had a shot he could have taken with his right, but got self-conscious and proceeded to wheel around on his left.

It's like blaming a parked car because you drove into it when there was plenty of room on the road to drive past.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its about where we are at tbh . Since return we have played 2 sides near the top who both have beaten us comfortable .

North look average and although we controlled most the game we barely got through.
Richmond was a great scalp but reality is they were way down on form .

The results are there to see , a month in I think is a pretty good indicator .

I don't really understand the logic where everyone decent we beat (Brisbane, Richmond) are down on form, but when we lose to good teams, its because they are good and not just because we had a bad day.

We've lost two games, one the first back from lockdown at a ground we haven't played at for 13 years, where we stayed with Geelong in the first half, and fell away badly in the second half, and another where the umpires made an example of Clarko, we had 1 on the bench, and the opposition converted their inside 50s better than any team has ever done in the history of inside 50 efficiency being tracked. Why make form excuses for the likes of Richmond, and not look at the factors surrounding our own losses?

We've beaten two of last year's top 4 , including the premier and lost to two of last year's prelim finals, both on grounds where they enjoy a very significant home ground advantage, and one where a team put on a statistical freak show in front of goal. Reckon season is going ok, and I can see us being able to win against those teams if we play them again, especially if that meeting ends up being on the MCG during finals.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Giants chose to tag Worps over Mitch. Thoughts? Do you think they considered Worps more damaging by foot?

I think Mitch is harder to tag, because it can be hard to tag a player who is that good in close without risking giving away a bunch of holding frees. In the past tags on Mitch tend not to impact his inside work much, and only curtails his spread. Mitch probably spreads less than Worps, so they might have figured they'd be better off going after Worps. Whatever the reason, the decision certainly seems justified by the result.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
GWS didn't monster us. They arsed it in front of goal. You aren't going to get a team kick so accurately ever again from so few entries. Even in our accurate days of 2013-15 We went about 60%

As for the game;

Smith appeared to be a man on a mission, and looked a little selfish. Tried way too hard

Lots of potting obrien, but simply, he was really well held by I think it was Davis. He was made accountable. And it took him until halfway through the last quarter to figure it out. He had a poor game for sure, but itbwasnt entirely his own doing.

Puopolo has lost his pace. Provides no defensive pressure any more.

Henderson hasn't looked right since coming back from lockdown - rd 1 he was good

3 injuries certainly didn't help our cause

Nobody with kids has come out of lockdown the same person 😂

Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't really understand the logic where everyone decent we beat (Brisbane, Richmond) are down on form, but when we lose to good teams, its because they are good and not just because we had a bad day.

We've lost two games, one the first back from lockdown at a ground we haven't played at for 13 years, where we stayed with Geelong in the first half, and fell away badly in the second half, and another where the umpires made an example of Clarko, we had 1 on the bench, and the opposition converted their inside 50s better than any team has ever done in the history of inside 50 efficiency being tracked. Why make form excuses for the likes of Richmond, and not look at the factors surrounding our own losses?

We've beaten two of last year's top 4 , including the premier and lost to two of last year's prelim finals, both on grounds where they enjoy a very significant home ground advantage, and one where a team put on a statistical freak show in front of goal. Reckon season is going ok, and I can see us being able to win against those teams if we play them again, especially if that meeting ends up being on the MCG during finals.

I understand where you’re kinda coming from with the form thing - I think the only thing separating us and Richmond And the way the losses are judged is the fact they won 2 of the last 3 flags.
This group as a whole we have unfortunately havent proven anything besides a handful of wins over genuinely opposition.
We’re a hard team to judge, sometimes I think bottom 4, sometimes I think top 6.
who knows hahaha

This has really annoyed me also. Cats have snuck in 3 genuine home games at Kardinia since the restart (out of 4 possible) while we have had zippo. Cant count our home game at Marvel against a Marvel tenant. That is as good as a genuine away game.

We've had not a single home game at the G since R1 and now with the travel issues wont get one for half this season at absolute best. We will probably end the season being the side that has had the least number of home games at their actual home ground.

No crowds. No emotion. Each ground is a piece of grass with line markings and goal posts at each end. These guys are paid good money to play and coach the game. Home ground / crowd advantage means next to nothing in Victoria this year.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox

Depends how you want to view it . How long do we look to last season as a guide on teams and form ? Its a very long time ago now

I personally think a month in after break is long enough to get a guide on how we are playing .
We have looked very good in patches , ok in patches and very poor in patches.

Its a crazy season anything can happen but everything to me is pointing at us being an ok team , like about 8 others going around.
If people think we are better than that , thats fine too .

Think we will be a better side next season IMO

Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Before Scrimshaw got injured, we were right in that game- even after a poor start. If Haynes or Davis got injured for them, may have been different result.

Before the season started, everyone here would have taken 3-2 after 5 games given our fixture. People need to relax a little.

Also I'm hearing a lot about how we should have gone the rebuild route using our picks. Really? Just look at Carlton. That does not guarantee success as we have seen.

At least we have been thereabouts over the last decade and had our chances. I for one don't want to be cellar dwellers with a remote chance of success in 5 years time. Our top 5 pick may not work out, then what? One thing I'm spewing about is missing out on certain players we could have got with our top pick- hartung over Merrett for example.

I think we will get a couple of handy players in the off season, as per usual. Then we try again. My two cents. Everyone have a great day, go the Hawks.

spotthedot

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2006
scarborough
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
subi - wafl
pops hendo out (done like dinners) scrimma injured
we need some mongrel, toughness and some x factor i think...greaves for scrimma, finn and cj maybe?
scully skating on thin ice also...could not tackle a paper bag
the game is as boring as bat s**t in my view...predictable, slow etc.
in a crazy year why not throw caution to the wind and actually try something different and exciting...for all the footy world's sake!
ps please come back soon mr impey!

Larry G!

Rookie
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had had two major concerns since 2016 and both seem to be coming to fruition simultaneously. First is going the top up route. I don't begrudge the club doing this - how could you when we jagged TOM and JOM in the same draft? Wingard is a all class but cost us a shitload as JOM did. Prior to that though we wasted a first round pick on JOR a complete bust. Anyhow as mentioned previously by other posters the club was looking to compliment these players with free agents namely TL and Coniglio - bothfailed to come through which essentially derailed our overall strategy. These things happen and again I don't begrudge the club for trying this.

What I do begrudge is the corrupt AFL doing everything and anything for GWS and GC to succeed. GC is now the GWS - they have a plethora of first round draft picks and an embarrasment of riches at their disposal. Whats worse is the sychophant media cheering them on at any opportunity they get. How the hell can we compete with that? GW has been brilliant with his draft picks but you do get a sense that we have been patching up holes before the dam wall eventually bursts. Making things even worse has been poor performing poorly run clubs like Melbourne also eating up very high draft picks simply because they are $hit year in year out

We all know that the overall financial state of the AFL is in peril because of the tens of millions of dollars poured into both franchise clubs. It was arrogant and unnecessary, GWS may succeed but GC never will. They know it and we know it.

Just to prove the greed of the AFL, my local football club is STILL being pressured by the AFL to get Auskick up and running in these perilous times. It is just not worth the time, hastle and stress with all the COVID restrictions that are currently in place. They are doing this because they pocket around 80-90% of all Auskick registrations.

Final rant, umpiring against us this year is so obviously biased for the opposing side. Just speechless over what they have and haven't paid. Commentators were even joking last night about how were being screwed- you just couldnt make this stuff up. Im over it

AFL can GAGF - Go Hawks!
Dear Noel

I completely concur with your point of view. Its not a competition but a construct of the fiendish mind of that diabolical AFL house. The best thing about the virus is that no one cares much anymore AND we can live without going etc.

Think it's been said before, but Scully's main strength, his endurance, has been heavily quelled by the shorter quarters.

With full-length games, he's the one that's still able to bust a gut at the ends of quarters where others have dropped off.

Whereas now he is brought back to the pack with everyone else capable of running out games.

Harsh to judge him on this year.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Think it's been said before, but Scully's main strength, his endurance, has been heavily quelled by the shorter quarters.

With full-length games, he's the one that's still able to bust a gut at the ends of quarters where others have dropped off.

Whereas now he is brought back to the pack with everyone else capable of running out games.

Harsh to judge him on this year.

Agree with that, also thought Scully had a crack all night. One of his better efforts this year.

We are more an endurance team than a burst team. But with our best burst players Impey on the backline and Bruest on the forward line out we are scratching a bit to find someone. Smith is perhaps it. Not sure who we have that's young with speed, CJ? Glass? perhaps even having Nash as an in as he's big but also quick 16 minute quarters may help his impact. But we are a bit thin on the ground especially with Scrimshaw out as well and he was our best line breaker Sunday from down back.

In saying that the Pies have a few key injuries too so we don't have too many excuses.

The issue with Scully isn't work rate or endurance, as he still churns up and back all game, but is a lack of zip. There's nothing dynamic. He appears to be running on the spot and doesn't use the ball particularly well.

Obviously with his serious injury there has to be some allowance but it would be good to see him 'streaming' down the wings and then hitting up targets.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
So, basıcally what im reading here is that Scully is only good for running in longer form of the game so let's not judge him on anything else ???!!! Right? He has been poor/vanilla pretty much from the start as a hawk which is a shame , as he was brilliant in the two years at Giants before coming to us. 10 disposals a game just doesn't cut it for a player of his skill set , can't remember him been top 3 in any game for us

Sep 22, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
HAWTHORN
I’ve noticed that Scully, in his time with us, rarely one grabs the ball and collects it cleanly. He almost always has a fumble or double grabs it, meaning he’s often under immense pressure. He doesn’t seem to cope under pressure skills and decision making wise. I think it’s his touch that is letting him down the most.

Back