Workshop 2021 Jumper Ideas thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having white on the guernsey doesn't make it an official club colour
So... You guys are red and black then? Or, red and white? Or, black and white? 🤨

Sure, we could use that logic for North. They had black numbers for a majority of their history before their jumper switch-around. Hawks had a white number panel on their guernseys.
We're different. Our emblem, the main part of our identity is a white logo on a navy base. All the trimming on the shorts and socks is white. That makes it a club colour.
Proves my point. Sure, orange may have been used in 1870, but if we didn't have white as a traditional club colour for our emblem, we wouldn't have cared about using orange for our clash jumpers or anything like that (like the orange-outlined CFC on the rumoured clash found by magpienato and caloschwaby 🤮)

So... You guys are red and black then? Or, red and white? Or, black and white? 🤨

Sure, we could use that logic for North. They had black numbers for a majority of their history before their jumper switch-around. Hawks had a white number panel on their guernseys.
We're different. Our emblem, the main part of our identity is a white logo on a navy base. All the trimming on the shorts and socks is white. That makes it a club colour.

Proves my point. Sure, orange may have been used in 1870, but if we didn't have white as a traditional club colour for our emblem, we wouldn't have cared about using orange for our clash jumpers or anything like that (like the orange-outlined CFC on the rumoured clash found by magpienato and caloschwaby 🤮)

St Kilda's official club colours are red black and white, and are also on our guernsey. colours and guernsey are 2 different things. West Coast had a white panel on their for years, but isn't a club colour

St Kilda's official club colours are red black and white, and are also on our guernsey. colours and guernsey are 2 different things. West Coast had a white panel on their for years, but isn't a club colour
... What?
The guernsey is another important part of the branding. Of course white was a club colour. It may not have been on their logo (hah, orange was back then - that's a whole 'nother convo) but now it wouldn't be considered a club colour.

Last edited:
... What?
The guernsey is another important part of the branding. Of course white was a club colour. It may not have been on their logo (hah, orange was back then - that's a whole 'nother convo) but now it wouldn't be considered a club colour.
C'mon mate, don't get stirred up by this bloke. Gotta rememeber, some people are very simple in the head.

FWIW, white was an official club colour up until the rebrand and I have the branding guide (somewhere) to prove it.

navy, royal, gold, white and ochre.

C'mon mate, don't get stirred up by this bloke. Gotta rememeber, some people are very simple in the head.
What on earth is wrong with you to make a comment like that? we are having a discussion, go take your discrimination somewhere else

... What?

It is common for club constitutions to state what the official colours of the club are. They could wear a guernsey of a different colour entirely but it doesn't mean that the guernsey represents the official club colours.

E.g. North constitution:

"the colours of the Club shall be blue and white and the uniform of the Players shall be the uniform which is from time to time registered with the AFL. "

Exactly!
It is common for club constitutions to state what the official colours of the club are. They could wear a guernsey of a different colour entirely but it doesn't mean that the guernsey represents the official club colours.

E.g. North constitution:

"the colours of the Club shall be blue and white and the uniform of the Players shall be the uniform which is from time to time registered with the AFL. "
Yes, and I accept North's main colours are Royal and White. But they have been that way for 100s of years, much like the Blues' white CFC on the guernsey, and all their logos for that matter. We may call ourselves the navy blues, but that's because the majority of our kit is navy. White is still an important part of it, otherwise you'd start looking like Norwood in the SANFL (who for the record are red and navy blue, despite only having the collar, cuffs and socks red!) :)

I was watching highlights from last year's Grand Final and realised that the Giants' clash guernsey has grown on me quite a bit. I found an old idea for a Giants clash guernsey I had done a few years ago on Paint. Reimagined it in a way like the old Planet Teal jumpers Port had in the late 2000s. I was going to place names across it as it could be needed to financially assist the Giants this season, however, at the moment I neither had the patience nor the skills to do so.

GWS-Orange-Army-Guernsey.png

I was watching highlights from last year's Grand Final and realised that the Giants' clash guernsey has grown on me quite a bit. I found an old idea for a Giants clash guernsey I had done a few years ago on Paint. Reimagined it in a way like the old Planet Teal jumpers Port had in the late 2000s. I was going to place names across it as it could be needed to financially assist the Giants this season, however, at the moment I neither had the patience nor the skills to do so.

View attachment 907284

I like it, could you do an inverse of this please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 907284

A bit of Western Suburbs Magpies vibe to it, along the lines of this that they wore on and off between 1909 and 1960 (2012 heritage pictured)
1594044519681.png

Though I think GWS should take a look at Wests Tigers 2014 heritage and adapt a version of it as their home jersey with their alternate also based off it. Sydney teams across many sports usually wear either hoops or vees so from a tradition standpoint, it'll work well both in Sydney as well as in AFL heartland
1594044588935.png

View attachment 907679
Not sure where to post this. But is this something that's known on the board?

I think the consensus was it’s more than likely a Magpies Netball jacket, as Nike are doing the apparel for that team and they recently shifted to using the same logo as the football club.

Adelaide Home Full Kit.jpg Adelaide White Clash Full Kit.jpg

For the home jumper I decided to drop the yellow cuffs as they did in 06-08. The top hoops have been brought around to the back of the jumper like the 16-19 clash jumpers. I've also made the hoops thinner to add a blue hoop at the bottom which I think it neater than having some guernseys end on a red hoop and others end on a gold hoop. Personally, I would alter the hoop width on a size by size basis so that it always looks like this but I doubt suppliers want to bother with it.

Personally, I'd like to see Adelaide adopt a red version of their home jumper as a clash and a gold version as an alternate clash but they seem to be happy with white so I made this which is about as close to their home guernsey as possible, while still being mostly white.

View attachment 907720View attachment 907722

For the home jumper I decided to drop the yellow cuffs as they did in 06-08. The top hoops have been brought around to the back of the jumper like the 16-19 clash jumpers. I've also made the hoops thinner to add a blue hoop at the bottom which I think it neater than having some guernseys end on a red hoop and others end on a gold hoop. Personally, I would alter the hoop width on a size by size basis so that it always looks like this but I doubt suppliers want to bother with it.

Personally, I'd like to see Adelaide adopt a red version of their home jumper as a clash and a gold version as an alternate clash but they seem to be happy with white so I made this which is about as close to their home guernsey as possible, while still being mostly white.

Those are awesome man! I've well and truly hitched my wagon to the red and gold clash variants horse, but if we had to go white, I'd be more than happy with that jumper. Only small change I'd make is to alter the order of the hoops to have navy first (I consider the navy chest the first "hoop" of the Crows home jumper). The classic crow at the base of the neck is a nice touch too.

West Coast had a white panel on their for years, but isn't a club colour
Yes, it was at the time.

White was listed as an official club colour until we reverted back to the wings guernsey in 2016, the club colours were navy white and gold (and ochre, if you want to be super technical).

Here's an idea that I've had for a while, which I'd implement if I was in charge.

Imagine if each year, the AFL forced each club to wear its training strip, just for one match, in the game which is that club's worst clash.

In addition to helping clash issues, it would place much-needed attention on the design of training jumpers, while driving sales, and introducing a touch more adventurousness with away colours, as in other sports.

It would be like every team doing the Port all teal (2002 v Collingwood) or Saints yellow crusader (2002 v Essendon), once a season.

Polish up designs like these and put them out on the field!

swans.png lions.png hawth.png ess.png

You could also use the colour chosen as a subtle tertiary merch colour for that season and change it every year.

Here's an idea that I've had for a while, which I'd implement if I was in charge.

Imagine if each year, the AFL forced each club to wear its training strip, just for one match, in the game which is that club's worst clash.

In addition to helping clash issues, it would place much-needed attention on the design of training jumpers, while driving sales, and introducing a touch more adventurousness with away colours, as in other sports.

It would be like every team doing the Port all teal (2002 v Collingwood) or Saints yellow crusader (2002 v Essendon), once a season.

View attachment 920543 View attachment 920545 View attachment 920546 View attachment 920547

You could also use the colour chosen as a subtle tertiary merch colour for that season and change it every year.
So basically a third kit like soccer, but worn only once a year?

So basically a third kit like soccer, but worn only once a year?
Sort of, although I think of an AFL third kit as using existing jumper elements (wings, stripes, etc), and a third would only be seen once on field. Hence for me it's the training strip, seen every week in training, and with more abstract/modern design possibilities.

View attachment 920543 View attachment 920545 View attachment 920546 View attachment 920547

I'm not big on the idea as a whole but I do wonder why more thought isn't put into training guernseys as a promotional item and I also wonder why St Kilda couldn't wear their red training jumper as an away jumper.
It would make more sense as a clash jumper against Collingwood than their current clash jumper that also has black and white stripes (not that it was really a clash, it just could have been better).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back