"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep hearing how no other team in world sport spends big on defence. That's a lie
Ask 00Stinger what 2 signings changed Liverpool's destiny.
touche

In all fairness I think you could agree that the Liverpool duo are in a slightly better class than May & Lever. It would be similar if we traded in a peak Silvagi and peak Scarlett

In VVD's first year he won the PFA player of the year, UEFA player of the year, UEFA defender of the year and was 2nd in the ballon d'or.

in Alissons first year he was named UEFA goal keeper of the year and Premier league golden glove winner

Plus it helps that Liverpools manager would be the equivalent of Clarkson whereas Goodwin is the equivalent to David Moyes

Last edited:
I would help Trac pack. He deserves better.

IM not sure if he did until this year. Then again, if anybody you cared about landed at the MFC you would tell them to leave ASAP. Our inability to develop players has to rank all time. Wonder what it has to do with Mccarthy leaving

Posted this on main board but probably should go in here too

Putting aside our forward line issues (a symptom of the disease, not the root cause), the thing that has concerned me is the lack of growth we’ve seen list wide.

People saying Oliver is a hack and average inside mid, while correct right now, are dead wrong when it comes to his potential (based off his shown ability in 2018). Like almost every player on our list, his development has gone backwards.
He has a MASSIVE weapon in quick fire handballs that hit targets, but it appears that he has had ZERO coaching put into him and to teach him how to utilise this weapon.
With even a small amount of coaching, his handballs could be huge for attacking setups, hitting guys mid sprint for plays forward.

But nope, he appears to have done no work on this, or his basic skills.

The same goes for almost everyone else on our list. Basic skills have gone backwards, and no one bar Petracca has made themselves a better player.

That table I posted above from The Couch last night says everything that’s needed to be known about the lack of progression and development that has not occurred under Goodwin.
- everyone has up and down years. But what we see below is pretty much statistically impossible. Something is severely wrong at the MFC.

The symptoms are shithouse skills and zero game plan, but the root cause comes back to a coach completely out of his depth, who is void of ideas, and has got his way in creating a lopsided team.

Just watch him on game day. Every time they cut to him in the box, he’s just sitting there in la la land. Never ever touches the phone, never speaks or even sits near any other coaches.

Goodwin just sits there expressionless, looking like he’s about to tear up and cry.

It’s fu(king depressing to watch.

The good news is that we've been smashed in both Melbourne papers today, and on the footy shows last night. That shows that we remain (just) relevant. Also, the manner in which we're being smashed is not in the "Melbourne's ****ed and need a rebuild" fashion, it's in "Melbourne are massive under-achievers and have screwed up some trades." For mine, that's actually positive as it does reinforce our belief on here that there is enough there to be successful - we just don't have the coaches and/or game plan to do it.

"Melbourne has had more losses in games when they have won the inside 50s than any other team in the last three years - and by a big margin. Fifteen times since 2018 they have had more inside 50s than the opposition and lost the game. The next most is nine. Most teams are about six."

Farrrrk

HS reporting that we're going after Daniher to fix our forward woes. Now why didn't we think of that? It's so simple.

Roll on the 2021... the flag is as good as ours!

touche

In all fairness I think you could agree that the Liverpool duo are in a slightly better class than May & Lever. It would be similar if we traded in a peak Silvagi and peak Scarlett

In VVD's first year he won the PFA player of the year, UEFA player of the year, UEFA defender of the year and was 2nd in the ballon d'or.

in Alissons first year he was named UEFA goal keeper of the year and Premier league golden glove winner

Plus it helps that Liverpools manager would be the equivalent of Clarkson whereas Goodwin is the equivalent to David Moyes
Of course, neither are in the same class. However Liverpool got those 2 because they attacked brilliantly and couldn't defend and right or wrong we thought the exact same thing at the end of 2018

HS reporting that we're going after Daniher to fix our forward woes. Now why didn't we think of that? It's so simple.

Negotiating with Essendon isn't something id ever look to do.

Shame we can't give away more first round picks this year 🙄

Last edited:
"Melbourne has had more losses in games when they have won the inside 50s than any other team in the last three years - and by a big margin. Fifteen times since 2018 they have had more inside 50s than the opposition and lost the game. The next most is nine. Most teams are about six."

Farrrrk

It's good article , one that we've all been aware of for a long time now, shame it took this long to be published.

Gaz spot on about Langdon, absolute s**t kicker.

We fixed Harley so maybe we can reconstruct his legs so we can drop him after a week for not being defensive and contested enough.

Negotiating with Essendon isn't something id ever look to do.

Shame we can't give away more first round picks this year 🙄
free agent though

free agent though

Kind of feel we need to just settle the * down and start taking using some of our draft picks rather looking for quick fixes and big name free agents every offseason.

The "premiership window" is well and truly closed, hocking in picks can only keep you semi relevant for so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

touche

It’s the difference between getting the best and just the best available, it was obvious VVD was destined for big things when he was at Celtic, it’s a shame the size of the SPL stops the Bhoys from being the biggest club in the world we wouldn’t have to lose players we develop to lesser clubs down south, since rangers got caught cheating and folded there’s no competition left.

It’s the difference between getting the best and just the best available, it was obvious VVD was destined for big things when he was at Celtic, it’s a shame the size of the SPL stops the Bhoys from being the biggest club in the world we wouldn’t have to lose players we develop to lesser clubs down south, since rangers got caught cheating and folded there’s no competition left.
weren't Rangers relegated for insolvency issues not cheatring?

They were paying players through off shore trusts with no tax, it’s how they were able to afford players who should have never been in the SPL, using other people’s money as it were. British gov eventually asked for their 70 million and surprise surprise they didn’t have it.

Rangers motto for years was for every pound Celtic spend they would spend 10 which they did, problem was only 2 of those pounds were theirs to begin with. Cheats

They were paying players through off shore trusts with no tax, it’s how they were able to afford players who should have never been in the SPL, using other people’s money as it were. British gov eventually asked for their 70 million and surprise surprise they didn’t have it.

Rangers motto for years was for every pound Celtic spend they would spend 10 which they did, problem was only 2 of those pounds were theirs to begin with. Cheats
yeah ok that makes sense

Probably best not to ask a Celtic or Rangers fan for an objective opinion on this.

That said, there’s no doubt that a bunch of financial vandals and tax cheating charlatans got involved with Rangers leading to asset stripping, a liquidation/newco inception run by crooks and subsequent relegation enforced by clubs and the inept SFA that wanted to turn a s**t two team league into a s**t one team league.

Ultimately though the issues stem from Rangers overpaying for a bunch of washed up s**t trucks and Celtic being far more canny with identifying talent and flipping players for a profit. Basically Rangers are like some kind of Melbourne/Essendon/Carlton administrative s**t sandwich and Celtic are like Hawthorn/Geelong by contrast. The SFA is about as functional as Syria.

Probably best not to ask a Celtic or Rangers fan for an objective opinion on this.

That said, there’s no doubt that a bunch of financial vandals and tax cheating charlatans got involved with Rangers leading to asset stripping, a liquidation/newco inception run by crooks and subsequent relegation enforced by clubs and the inept SFA that wanted to turn a sh*t two team league into a sh*t one team league.

Ultimately though the issues stem from Rangers overpaying for a bunch of washed up sh*t trucks and Celtic being far more canny with identifying talent and flipping players for a profit. Basically Rangers are like some kind of Melbourne/Essendon/Carlton administrative sh*t sandwich and Celtic are like Hawthorn/Geelong by contrast. The SFA is about as functional as Syria.
Scottish football was more fun when clubs such as Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were challenging for European Honours . (yes decades ago now) .

Here's my issue, people bitch about May and Lever and sure maybe it's justified. But they are defenders, they aren't gonna look amazing in a poor team

If we thought we could actually challenge after 18 then I don't give a * about hindsight. I'm happy the club did something instead of nothing. I could give a * if I'm alone, the MFC has been shy of pulling the trigger on any sort of trade when we've been good. Everyone in the world said Frost and Omac weren't good enough and rightly or wrongly the club thought fixing that could take us to the next level. Good on them for ******* trying. Every campaigner in the world can recommend great draft choices in hindsight,

If we had played last year with Omac and Frost every campaigner on here would be complaining about our key backs.

Hindsight hero's

Tend to agree.

I just find it amazing that Melbourne could land some big fish players - who do you think we are to turn down gun players that want to come to us?

We are Melbourne. We are used to Chris Judd turning us down for Carlton.

Poaching Lever from Grand Finalist Adelaide was a coup (check the players drafted using the picks we gave up). Using Hogan comp on May was the best thing we could do at the time if we wanted a FB, although Smith or King would look good about now.

I think Lever has been pretty good, despite the knee injury. May just needs to impose himself on the contest physically. Still looks like he's scared of breaking team rules relating to getting suspended. Needs to play on the edge.

this thread has not aged very well for you buddy, i can see why you stopped using bigfooty lol.
LOL true, so true. :$

I still come by now and then, Just haven't bothered commenting on ANYTHING because my interest in the comp has dwindled with real life stuff (Baby on the way, running a business etc...)taking precedence.

:thumbsu:

Here's my issue, people b*tch about May and Lever and sure maybe it's justified. But they are defenders, they aren't gonna look amazing in a poor team

If we thought we could actually challenge after 18 then I don't give a fu** about hindsight. I'm happy the club did something instead of nothing. I could give a fu** if I'm alone, the MFC has been shy of pulling the trigger on any sort of trade when we've been good. Everyone in the world said Frost and Omac weren't good enough and rightly or wrongly the club thought fixing that could take us to the next level. Good on them for ******* trying. Every campaigner in the world can recommend great draft choices in hindsight,

If we had played last year with Omac and Frost every campaigner on here would be complaining about our key backs.

Hindsight hero's

The main issue I have with May is that he's look nothing like the player he was Gold Coast.

Probably just miles down on confidence ATM tho.

Kind of feel we need to just settle the fu** down and start taking using some of our draft picks rather looking for quick fixes and big name free agents every offseason.
I think half the problem is we don't chase big names. We chase potatomen who we overpay in draft picks and salary cap space. Now if some half-decent potatoman wanted to wear nice red and blue, we probably couldn't afford to them anyway.

I think half the problem is we don't chase big names. We chase potatomen who we overpay in draft picks and salary cap space. Now if some half-decent potatoman wanted to wear nice red and blue, we probably couldn't afford to them anyway.

We just don't know how to use the players we are paying for imo. It's fine and dandy to go and recruit them but then have no clue about how to actually get them playing their best footy. It's like with Lever " hE mArK iNtEcPt GuD" .. " Y u No MaRk InTErCPt GuD 4 uS tHo?"

Mule with a spinning wheel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back