Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Falcons
The stats lie. His second efforts were fantastic. Probably wasn't our best but I give it to him because without him we don't get close. Shits on Bellcho from a great height at this point

The stats lie. His second efforts were fantastic. Probably wasn't our best but I give it to him because without him we don't get close. Shits on Bellcho from a great height at this point
Yup. He spoiled Grundy’s taps, prevented him from getting ‘Hitouts to Advantage’ (I wish that stat was publicly available) and laid the tackle whenever a Collingwood player did manage to receive the ball. His 1%ers are probably through the roof too.

Nullifying their midfield did more for us than pretty much anything else he could have done.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Yup. He spoiled Grundy’s taps, prevented him from getting ‘Hitouts to Advantage’ (I wish that stat was publicly available) and laid the tackle whenever a Collingwood player did manage to receive the ball. His 1%ers are probably through the roof too.

Nullifying their midfield did more for us than pretty much anything else he could have done.

Led the game in 1%ers with 11, next best Ridley & Sharenberg with 8.

His 2nd effort of wrapping up treloar* in the goalsquare that led to Shiel’s sealer is exactly why he stays in the team & TBC is merely insurance from here on end.

How refreshing is it to have a competitive ruckman? Now for goldy this week.
Adams I think, but the point stands

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Talking on Crunch Time about Flip's game & Pickering noted that talk from clubs he's played at is that he's great first up - the challenge for him is to get more consistency in his game when given the chance.

So he did everything the team needed him to do this week, he doesnt have to win the hitouts each week but he must continue to follow up & contest once the ball hits the ground. Looking forward to watching him next week.

Any insight into why he's been hot and cold?

Injuries, fitness, mental, not managed right, other?

Every Blues fan I've asked about him has said the same thing, he'll make you cheer and do amazing things but also make you want to stab your own eyes out at times but they are mostly only causal supporters who shrug when asked why...

I rewatched that game with a bit of focus on him and again very impressive with the second efforts and pressures which is virtually a free skill, whats the catch with this guy. I must know lol

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Watching Cupido4Life's video really showed his impacts. The second efforts were outstanding and a huge part of the reason we were able to win the clearances. Goldstein's bigger body will be a test in the ruck contests, so he'll need to hit them hard.. or higher or from a more lateral angle. Not sure if Phillips can outwork him around the ground.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It will be interesting to see how Phillips backs up.

He's basically tagged Grundy putting in an immense physical effort (and still really broken even). Realistically, he is unlikely to be able to maintain that sort of pressure in every game.

Having said that, he's going to need to bring something similar against Goldstein who I understand is back in form, even if not at his 2013 to 2016 best (or whatever the years were).

The impact of ruckman is a strange thing. What would seem to be the most fundamental part of the role, winning hit outs, is almost the least relevant part of the job. Much more important is the physical impact of a big guy throwing his weight around at stoppages and in contested marking situations. The hit outs are almost the cherry on top.

andon

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Thought he was a powerhouse,fearless, no backward steps, and intimidated the opposition, just what we needed.

Let him play and he will become even better.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Think Philips job is harder this week than last. North are plus 31 in clearance differential and plus 15 in centre clearance differential and I’d put it largely down to Goldys almost career best form

What was this mad man doing. I thought it was a ruckman's job...and only job was to win some taps...amble around the field and get into position to take a couple of grabs per season. Then sing the song at the end if your team mates played well.
I guess that depends on whether or not you can actually win the taps, and if you do, whether your taps advantage your team mates 😛

Will be interesting to see if we rotate Phillips and Bellchambers depending on match ups. i.e. if we think Bellchambers won't win the tap, send Phillips to tag em instead.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I guess that depends on whether or not you can actually win the taps, and if you do, whether your taps advantage your team mates 😛

Will be interesting to see if we rotate Phillips and Bellchambers depending on match ups. i.e. if we think Bellchambers won't win the tap, send Phillips to tag em instead.
Yeah..We will see. Everyone was writing Goldy off a few years ago and he found a second wind.

Hopefully Phillips success fires old Belly up a bit. The club has stuck fat with him for a long time and it must be for a reason. Bellchambers dominates our ruck division at training? We owe him after the saga? My biggest concern seems to be that he has aged real quick and is slow as me. Needs some desperation and hopefully he can find it. If he cannot Phillips has the job until Draper and co challenge him.

I think we would have beaten the Blues if Phillips was ruck and played at the level he did last week.

Last edited:
Back