Review Round 5, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apologies if this has been mentioned already.

I’m not a fan of us shutting up shop and trying to slow the game down when we believe we have a game winning lead.

We came out in the fourth quarter with no intention of playing how we did in the first three quarters.

It’s not the first time we’ve done this either.

Personally, it ruins the game for me. Yeah we win. But I leave feeling flat.

I can understand running down the last couple of minutes, but to shut up shop with more than half a quarter to go annoys the crap out of me.
This aspect came into our game last year and i am pleased it did.
You can practice this at training but nothing beats doing this in a real AFL game.
I believe it started in the third quarter against Port and continued in the last.
But it only lasts for patches of each quarter during the game.
With the shortened quarters this will be important going forward if you have a reasonable lead or just want to slow the game down a bit.
I commented about this to my daughter at the game.
She wanted a big win and kept looking at the live ladder %.
I said a win is more important than % in the long term.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
She wanted a big win and kept looking at the live ladder %.
I said a win is more important than % in the long term.
lol so was I, from late in the 3rd quarter.

And my thoughts at the time we’re, Fagan wouldn’t care about percentage, just be happy to get the win and move on.

Personally, I wanted us the bury Port and send a bit of a message.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Clearly, to my eye at least, the forward coaching experts [is it Hudson?] have been at work with Hipwood, seeing his ramrod straight run in.

Again, just me I'm sure, but he always looks far more comfortable when he does the Buddy Franklin ark swing onto the left thing. As when he did the play-on and kicked a 50m plus. Far more natural, as with most left footers.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
lol so was I, from late in the 3rd quarter.

And my thoughts at the time we’re, Fagan wouldn’t care about percentage, just be happy to get the win and move on.

Personally, I wanted us the bury Port and send a bit of a message.
Yes big wins are great for us fans.
Especially if it is against a club we don't particularly care for.
I feel sometimes when teams are looking like they are going to slaughter the opposition all players like to get in on the action.
In other words any game plan they had goes out the window.
This could have a negative affect in the following weeks.
So i am quite happy to have a good win and back up the form the following week

Just about to watch the Port game replay.
Happy to be at the game but my seats were awful. I need to see us win again.
Stuck next to a concrete wall which completely blocked the goals at my end of the ground
My daughter and i spent the whole game leaning forward to get a better view
Planned to move after quarter time but by then no spare room with social distancing and every second row had to be vacant according to the attendant.
So stuck their for the whole game.
First photo while sitting in the seat normal position
Second one leaning forward

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_192936[1].jpg
    IMG_20200704_192936[1].jpg
    632 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20200704_192954[1].jpg
    IMG_20200704_192954[1].jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 133

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I'd like to see Dan replicate last Saturday night this Thursday night...please.
Dan needs to bottle that first quarter and replicate it every quarter. IMO, it was the most commanding quarter by a Lions key forward, along with Hipwood’s 4 goal quarter against Melbourne, since the Jono Brown era. As a strong supporter of Dan’s, it was a beautiful sight seeing how involved he was.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Yes big wins are great for us fans.
Especially if it is against a club we don't particularly care for.
I feel sometimes when teams are looking like they are going to slaughter the opposition all players like to get in on the action.
In other words any game plan they had goes out the window.
This could have a negative affect in the following weeks.
So i am quite happy to have a good win and back up the form the following week

Just about to watch the Port game replay.
Happy to be at the game but my seats were awful. I need to see us win again.
Stuck next to a concrete wall which completely blocked the goals at my end of the ground
My daughter and i spent the whole game leaning forward to get a better view
Planned to move after quarter time but by then no spare room with social distancing and every second row had to be vacant according to the attendant.
So stuck their for the whole game.
First photo while sitting in the seat normal position
Second one leaning forward
mmmmm there were definitely empty seats across the aisle from me on Saturday night.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
mmmmm there were definitely empty seats across the aisle from me on Saturday night.
I was not about to leave my section and wander around the ground to find seating.
Probably would not be allowed to move anyhow as the attendant in my section was onto anyone moving around
From where we were placed i could see our section was basically full allowing for social distancing in rows that had people.
My sister and family sat in i think was section 43 in top tier opposite side to interchange bench and they froze because lost of spare seating and no body heat.

I think they messed up badly in regard to getting 20K into stadium anyhow.
If you have every 2nd row empty that reduces it to less than 20k straight away
Allowing for social distancing in occupied seat rows no wonder only 10K turned up.
Have no idea how many tickets they had for sale but would be interested to know.

I felt sorry for the family group of about 6 in our row.
They have followed the Lions for some time but decided to purchase 11 game membership this year
Decided to pledge anyhow.
Port game the only ballot tickets they won.
Stuck in same row of horrible seats
Because of the low overhang and being in the back row it was like everything was so much further away than it really was.
No wonder this section is given to opposition supporters
After the game we went out into the open area awaiting the players.
Just being in this open area some 9 rows down opened up the whole ground and would be okay seating.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Apologies if this has been mentioned already.

I’m not a fan of us shutting up shop and trying to slow the game down when we believe we have a game winning lead.

We came out in the fourth quarter with no intention of playing how we did in the first three quarters.

It’s not the first time we’ve done this either.

Personally, it ruins the game for me. Yeah we win. But I leave feeling flat.

I can understand running down the last couple of minutes, but to shut up shop with more than half a quarter to go annoys the crap out of me.

Honestly, that's the way I felt about our last quarter against Freo,

We got far too focused on eating up time and far too early. A lead of 3 goals at 3/4 time is not a reason to shut up shop and we nearly blew that match.

But it's horses for courses. We had a lead of 7.1 at 3/4 time against Port and they were never coming back from that to actually stand any realistic chance of winning. Despite that, they had a real crack in the last and full credit to them.

I thought we did what we had to do in the last quarter and personally I was very happy with the final margin. It's hard to totally dominate for an entire match in modern footy and last quarter "comebacks" by badly beaten teams now seem to happen as often as not.

I'm taking a 37 point win over a contender any day

The very happy supporters leaving the ground at full time didn't seem flat to me

Last edited:

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did anyone else notice how devastated CEY looked when he was on the bench after his injury? Poor bastard, he was hoping moving here would be the cure-all but he’s back to the rehab group.

Tough.

Yes looked crushed . Do we have a rough idea when he'll be back? Tough luck for the Lions too, looked very good in the few games he played

Yes looked crushed . Do we have a rough idea when he'll be back? Tough luck for the Lions too, looked very good in the few games he played

Won't miss more than a few weeks by the sound of things.

Apparently CEY had busted his gut to get his fitness up to the level over the COVID period and that showed I think in his recent couple of games. Shame, we'll miss his big body in the clinches, but he'll be back soon enough.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn

And bad luck for Lachie Neale as well. One of the commentators [might have been the Derminator] remarked on him regularly getting banged up. He needs a protector [I'd envisaged this would be CEY's role]. Nothing too obvious of course. Suggestions?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
And bad luck for Lachie Neale as well. One of the commentators [might have been the Derminator] remarked on him regularly getting banged up. He needs a protector [I'd envisaged this would be CEY's role]. Nothing too obvious of course. Suggestions?
Ely Smith is a beast.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Neale is getting banged up, and also playing massive game-time (95-95%, and also super high last year). Does he ever rest forward? Honestly if I try recall it I only remember him in the guts generally :O

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Neale is getting banged up, and also playing massive game-time (95-95%, and also super high last year). Does he ever rest forward? Honestly if I try recall it I only remember him in the guts generally :O
I will say this is the year to play more game time. Just had a quick look to compare the distances players covered in the weekends game compared to the game against port last year. Last years game distance covered by the top 5 was approx 15kms each, on the weekend lachie covered the 2nd most distance of 12km. Would almost be a leisurely Sunday jog for him.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I will say this is the year to play more game time. Just had a quick look to compare the distances players covered in the weekends game compared to the game against port last year. Last years game distance covered by the top 5 was approx 15kms each, on the weekend lachie covered the 2nd most distance of 12km. Would almost be a leisurely Sunday jog for him.
Shorter quarters would be the reason for that. He's still going "balls out" when on the ground at all times.

Back