Changes v. Suns - Jetta, Bennell, Weid, OMac IN / Spuds Out

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hoping we see Harley, has been just about my favourite sun of all time to watch.

should see the debut of rankine this week who may be the favourite sun to watch going forward!

looking forward to the match, both teams have strengths and weaknesses think it’ll be close.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bennell as a straight swap for Vandenberg is a no-brainer.

I'd honestly like to see us put Weideman AND Brown into the forward line. Just go really tall instead. McDonald has been getting into the game more when he has been doing work on the wings, so he can play further up the ground and let Brown play out of the square.

It might not work but what we're currently doing isn't working either.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Bennell as a straight swap for Vandenberg is a no-brainer.

I'd honestly like to see us put Weideman AND Brown into the forward line. Just go really tall instead. McDonald has been getting into the game more when he has been doing work on the wings, so he can play further up the ground and let Brown play out of the square.

It might not work but what we're currently doing isn't working either.
Yah I agree, not necessarily with the changes but they need to shake it up bigtime and try something different.
Salem and Harmes in the middle. Hibberd as a defensive forward, Brown and Weid as the keys. Tmac as a roaming winger. Petracca one out in the square etc. Try some s**t.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yah I agree, not necessarily with the changes but they need to shake it up bigtime and try something different.
Salem and Harmes in the middle. Hibberd as a defensive forward, Brown and Weid as the keys. Tmac as a roaming winger. Petracca one out in the square etc. Try some sh*t.
The lineup I'd like to see least as an opposition fan this week

Hibberd - May - Jetta
Salem - Lever - Jones
Langdon - Viney - Tomlinson
Bennell - Brown / Weideman - Hannan
Fritsch - Mcdonald - Pickett

Gawn Oliver Petracca

Harmes (midfield) - 3 other smalls/runners ?Rivers/Vandenburg/Melksham/ANB/Hunt take your pick.

We only play 2 tall forwards so you don't need to Smith, May and Lever in - drop Smith, or play May forward if you want to keep Smith.
Harmes is pretty damaging in the midfield - got to play him there
Bennell can actually hit a target inside 50 - must play
Or tall defenders are relatively immature other than Collins - need to play more than 1 tall forward to keep them accountable.

knackers29

Senior List
Jun 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's the point? :(
I dunno, wasn't he a big reason why Luke Ball walked (i.e. not getting enough of a run?). Dawson was also guaranteed games throughout his time under Lyon (although aside from an aging Hudghton I don't think he was keeping anyone of note out).
He did turn Walters into a gun and got the most out of crabs like Dean Polo and Brett Peake.
What was his fetish with Dawson?? followed him to Freo and kept getting games. One of the worst footballers ever to play AFL.

knackers29

Senior List
Jun 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bennell should be played in the midfield, swapping forward with Petracca. Tell Oliver and Viney to get the footy and hand off to them every time. At least they're capable of making a good decision AND executing it.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Try some sh*t.
Our last decent win was 2018, no need for drastic measures just yet.

Maybe the problem is the players haven't had a chance to learn the game-plan yet. Give it time.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The lineup I'd like to see least as an opposition fan this week

Hibberd - May - Jetta
Salem - Lever - Jones
Langdon - Viney - Tomlinson
Bennell - Brown / Weideman - Hannan
Fritsch - Mcdonald - Pickett

Gawn Oliver Petracca

Harmes (midfield) - 3 other smalls/runners ?Rivers/Vandenburg/Melksham/ANB/Hunt take your pick.

We only play 2 tall forwards so you don't need to Smith, May and Lever in - drop Smith, or play May forward if you want to keep Smith.
Harmes is pretty damaging in the midfield - got to play him there
Bennell can actually hit a target inside 50 - must play
Or tall defenders are relatively immature other than Collins - need to play more than 1 tall forward to keep them accountable.
I reckon that we probably need Oscar to take one of Day/King and May to take the other, that way Lever can be free to intercept. Collins is a fine player, we definitely need another tall to make him accountable otherwise he’ll just mark ******* everything.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
At a minimum I'd like to see:

Out: Hunt, Melksham (or AVB), Smith
In: Bennell, Weid, Jetta

Could probably make a case to drop another 3 or 4 players but I don't think we have further personnel worth bringing in.

There's an argument to be made for another tall defender but * I don't want OMac back in the side.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Looking at the Melbourne website, it looks as though Weid and Bennell will come in. It's just about all they can do to stem the rage at this stage.

If Bennell is not named, the only thing to stop supporters from burning down the headquarters is the fact that we don't have any.
Any supporters or headquarters?

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I reckon that we probably need Oscar to take one of Day/King and May to take the other, that way Lever can be free to intercept. Collins is a fine player, we definitely need another tall to make him accountable otherwise he’ll just mark ******* everything.
and play a spare in defence?
Or would you be asking Lever to play on one of our forwards? If he was spare I reckon Holman would go to him and try to negate him.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would like:

IN: Weid, Bennell, Jetta

Out: Hunt, Viney, Melksham/ AVB - Smith and Lockhart would be very lucky.

We need a 2nd tall and hunt plays as a lead up and not a small. Viney i would drop because of the terrible decision amking and inability to hit up any leads, basically inexcusable and he needs to learn. I think that should be by not getting a game automatically. AVB would also be drooped for not being able to hit targets as well, but i would be more inclided to play him in the guts a bit more with a extremely defensive role. Just * up their mids and block for teammates in centre bounces and destroy some players in the forward 50. I would also switch him with Clarry and get clarry to focus on the same as his tackling last week was shocking. Harmes moves out of defence completely and fills Viney's spot. Melksham needs to tackle more but i wouldn't make it his role, just try and get him more involved and kicking side 50 more often, but if he isn't looking switched on at training he would be a straight swap for Bennell.

Smith stays and we try and play 1 behind the ball and get Lever intercepting again.

No chance Viney will be dropped or any of those changes will happen though.

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
This is what I'd like to see as our standard lineup going forward. If it could be this week's team great, but for it to work TMac probably needs time training as part of the back six. That should have already been happening to provide versatility, but I doubt it has. He was in an all-Australian squad as a key defender and he needs to be back there to free up Lever for his intercept marking. God knows TMac's looked lost up forward since 2018. Get Harmes back in the Midfield where he plays his best footy, but not at the expense of Petracca, who has been a great success in the mids. Keen to keep both Hannan and Melksham in the forward line together. They were the driving force behind our better scoring in 2018 and have been involved in our most impressive scoring moves this season.
Close between Rivers and Lockhart and Lockhart very unlucky. Gone with Rivers as I feel he has the greater future, but for effort Lockhart deserves his spot ahead of a few established "stars".

B: Jetta - May - Lever
HB: Hibberd - TMacDonald - Salem
C: Langdon - Oliver - Brayshaw
HF: Melksham - Weideman - Hannan
F: Pickett - Brown - Fritsch
R: Gawn - Harmes - Petracca
Int: Bennell - Viney - Tomlinson - Rivers
E: Hunt - ANB - AVB - Lockhart

IN: Jetta - Brown - Weideman - Bennell
Out: Hunt - Smith - AVB - Lockhart

wheaters31

Debutant
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Let's just shake things up a little bit:

- Throw Tomlinson in as a KPD, he played some of his best football for GWS there. Will allow Lever to be third man, his best position. Joel Smith out.
- Put T McDonald on the wing left open by Tomlinson move, it's where he played some strong footy in 2018. Article here articulates some of the benefits of the role for him, it might just give him the confidence he seems to have lost.

Nev in for Rivers.
Bennell for AVB
Brown for J Smith
Weideman for Lockhart

HB: Hibberd - Tomlinson - Salem
C: Langdon - Oliver - T McDonald
R: Gawn - Viney - Petracca
Int: Bennell - Harmes - Hunt - Brayshaw

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
We'll win this.

I'd like Melksham should retain his spot. He's been poor (who hasn't?) but he's one of a few that doesn't s**t themselves when they're within 50 metres of goal. Just needs a lucky bounce or an arsey goal and he'll start firing like the Melksham of old.

If Weed comes in "throw him in the ruck!" so Gawn can sneak away and kick some goals.

Harmes tagging whoever. Viney in the middle hurting people.

Can't wait for this one!

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
This is what I'd like to see as our standard lineup going forward. If it could be this week's team great, but for it to work TMac probably needs time training as part of the back six. That should have already been happening to provide versatility, but I doubt it has. He was in an all-Australian squad as a key defender and he needs to be back there to free up Lever for his intercept marking. God knows TMac's looked lost up forward since 2018. Get Harmes back in the Midfield where he plays his best footy, but not at the expense of Petracca, who has been a great success in the mids. Keen to keep both Hannan and Melksham in the forward line together. They were the driving force behind our better scoring in 2018 and have been involved in our most impressive scoring moves this season.
Close between Rivers and Lockhart and Lockhart very unlucky. Gone with Rivers as I feel he has the greater future, but for effort Lockhart deserves his spot ahead of a few established "stars".

HB: Hibberd - TMacDonald - Salem
C: Langdon - Oliver - Brayshaw
R: Gawn - Harmes - Petracca
Int: Bennell - Viney - Tomlinson - Rivers
E: Hunt - ANB - AVB - Lockhart

IN: Jetta - Brown - Weideman - Bennell
Out: Hunt - Smith - AVB - Lockhart
I really like your team. Playing players in their best positions as we should be. Strongest 22 we have imo.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The problem is all these blokes are inside mids and play a very similar style. There's no point of difference. All go in the middle and do the same thing because that's what they do. Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney, Harmes, Jones, Petracca. Our star studded midfield are all the same player. Our recruiting has been so amateur. Salem, ANB and Melksham could go into the middle and do a decent enough job. We only really need Oliver and Petracca(who at least is emerging as a genuine star and can play forward). The rest are expendable in our midfield. Happy to trade all of them except Oliver/Petracca. Bring in blokes who can break away from packs with pace/strength and who can wait off a pack to receive who are also good smart ball users. Don't have to be elite kicks, just smart. Too many 1 demensional dumb mids on our list. I'd definitely be giving Sparrow a run at it in the coming weeks. Hopefully he's got a point of difference..

Some good points, though I reckon Jones will retire this year anyway. Harmes I think should stay as a tagger who pushes forward because he is good around goals, why Goodwin has tried him in defence is beyond me. I think Viney still has a lot to offer, i'm thinking he and Oliver are the two grunt players and Petracca is our attacking mid/forward player, so that probably does leave Brayshaw as surplus and could be looked at trading. I like Brayshaw but you're right, we can't retain all these inside midfielders, at least not unless their skills pick up markedly or the gameplan is changed to suit.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I feel Omac might come in for Smith. Free up our best intercept player to do what we traded out two first rounders for.

Please bring in Bennell Nev and Weideman to. Probably means

Out - Smith Rivers Lockhart AVB

In - Omac Bennell Nev Weideman

Hunt could also be on the outer. Melksham on shaky ground but I’d have him more opportunities.

Back