List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Papley took a mark against the Eagles and it really irked me. Papley did amazingly and took on 3 players to win it but why are we even kicking to our shortest player who was 3-on-1?
Papley playing the Buddy role.

Only similarity between those two players is they both have a b in their name.

Each to their own, both are in and under mids. We need balanced mids ideally rather than one position mids. Rowbottom in the end will take over Parker, etc. Now these balanced mids cost a bucket. However we might have a chance to draft Holland this year and that could be ideal!

IMO what we really lack are smart/natural footballers. A lot of our players (young and old) look like deers in headlights when under pressure or in the thick of the contest. A few who I won't name are serial offenders in this regard.

There aren't a lot of Swans who look composed in traffic, who don't resort to hack kicks, who don't give out hospital handballs, who know how to get themselves in the right places, who know how to get the ball to the right places, who know how to tackle, who know how to read the play, who take the right options.

Things like that are surprisingly uncommon in AFL. They can even compensate for what a player can't bring physically, or skills-wise. They're attributes that I feel have got lost in the way the game has become about athleticism and pressure, and yet the team that wins the flag every year always seems to be the one that has the most of these types.
Mills displayed composure in the congestion in the brief time he was allowed to be a midfielder again v WB. Such a pity.

Mills displayed composure in the congestion in the brief time he was allowed to be a midfielder again v WB. Such a pity.

Unfortunately our coach refuses to play him there even in a year where we are developing. He looked good in there.

Each to their own, both are in and under mids. We need balanced mids ideally rather than one position mids. Rowbottom in the end will take over Parker, etc. Now these balanced mids cost a bucket. However we might have a chance to draft Holland this year and that could be ideal!

What?

Of course they are both in and under mids. You kinda need plenty of guys in there who can be in and under or you will get smashed in the contest.

I have no idea what you're talking about by balanced mids vs one position mids. I've never heard of either of these prototypes before so please enlighten me.

The fact is Constable and Rowbottom have different qualities they offer. Constable is bigger, so can play as a bit of a battering ram and win plenty of contested ball. But he does not have the pace or the evasiveness or the explosiveness of Rowbottom. So if they were in a midfield together, it would be likely that Constable would be getting first possession and getting it out to the more attacking types, like Rowbottom.

You've also conveniently left out Florent, who has plenty of toe and can break a line in traffic; Warner, who is the total opposite of Florent as an inside bull; McInerney, who is the total opposite of Warner as an outside runner; and Stephens, who could be a hybrid of all of them.

So I really don't see how you can look at our future midfield prospects and say there is too much of the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but it feels like you are trying to write off our midfield drafting over the last few years so you can angle for an excuse to go to the draft this year and do it all again.

What?

Of course they are both in and under mids. You kinda need plenty of guys in there who can be in and under or you will get smashed in the contest.

I have no idea what you're talking about by balanced mids vs one position mids. I've never heard of either of these prototypes before so please enlighten me.

The fact is Constable and Rowbottom have different qualities they offer. Constable is bigger, so can play as a bit of a battering ram and win plenty of contested ball. But he does not have the pace or the evasiveness or the explosiveness of Rowbottom. So if they were in a midfield together, it would be likely that Constable would be getting first possession and getting it out to the more attacking types, like Rowbottom.

You've also conveniently left out Florent, who has plenty of toe and can break a line in traffic; Warner, who is the total opposite of Florent as an inside bull; McInerney, who is the total opposite of Warner as an outside runner; and Stephens, who could be a hybrid of all of them.

So I really don't see how you can look at our future midfield prospects and say there is too much of the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but it feels like you are trying to write off our midfield drafting over the last few years so you can angle for an excuse to go to the draft this year and do it all again.

Balanced mids are inside and outside ones, dual position mids. Those are the ideal ones. Ones that can genuinely burst through packs, whilst still being able to get their own ball. Now they cost a fortune in trade...but we may be fortunate with where we will finish that we can get a Holland type anyway. Stephens is one of these it's probably why we drafted him last year, he's not a pure outside runner.

I just question how many pure insides do we need. A couple sure but I don't want us to completely over compensate and get 10 pure insides. I'd rather go after a Jye Caldwell who can do both inside and outside, but again he'd cost more, it's a balancing act.

Balanced mids are inside and outside ones, dual position mids. Those are the ideal ones. Ones that can genuinely burst through packs, whilst still being able to get their own ball. Now they cost a fortune in trade...but we may be fortunate with where we will finish that we can get a Holland type anyway. Stephens is one of these it's probably why we drafted him last year, he's not a pure outside runner.

I just question how many pure insides do we need. A couple sure but I don't want us to completely over compensate and get 10 pure insides. I'd rather go after a Jye Caldwell who can do both inside and outside, but again he'd cost more, it's a balancing act.

The bolded is interesting. Have Florent and Rowbottom not been doing this exact thing?

The bolded is interesting. Have Florent and Rowbottom not been doing this exact thing?

It's a start, we need more though, it's what will improve our midfield. We are getting there.

Just did a very quick hypothetical of the team with the best kicks, only picking players I have heard of and based on their careers

B: Tom Stewart, Michael Hartley, Luke Ryan
HB: Shannon Hurn, Tom Barrass, Grant Birchall
C: Bailey Scott, Bandon Ellis, Adam Tomlinson
HF: Lachie Whitfield, Ben Reid, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
F: Bayley Fritsch, Sam Skinner, Shaun Burgoyne
FOLL: Nathan Vardy, Tom Green, Adam Kennedy
INT: Kade Kolodjashnij, Cameron Guthrie, Mitch Duncan, Daniel Howe

Just did a very quick hypothetical of the team with the best kicks, only picking players I have heard of and based on their careers

No Buddy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Skinner has had 4 career kicks in the AFL

Kicking for goal would be a key aspect of 'best kicks'
Bayley Fritsch stats don't match the eye. 41 goals 35, 57% set shot accuracy since R1 2018 is reasonable but not great.

Without any thought of stats - just by the eye Josh Drummond is one of the best kicks I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back