Preview Swans vs Tigers in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

They obviously think his upside is good enough to be patient with him. I suspect he'll be dropped this week anyway, but I'm okay with them trying him in the backline to try to get the football in his hands.

He was tried there last week. How did that go ? Sorry he has either lost all confidence, has got to far ahead of himself or mysteriously lost his huge ability he showed in his first year.

Damn, spewing about Brand not getting up
That's a bummer. We seem to have a bunch of "almost" ready talls. Do you know why Brand didn't get up ? I'd prefer McLean ruck with someone like Fox as backup, leaving Aliir in defence. Trouble is Aliir works best without an opponent and often struggles in a one on one. Brand and Melican out is a lot of pressure on Rampe and Mills. Dawson needs to step up this week. I thought it was worth a gamble to try him forward but we can't afford it this week.

We really do need some of our young talls like Knoll, Amartey to become consistent players soon. McLean looks good but we've had too many talls out the door or injured over the last few years and bugger all tall talent coming through.

Let's hope the effort is there this week. We need to avoid losing 3 games on the trot. The Tigers have some good young guys who given a sniff of confidence could get up.

He was tried there last week. How did that go ? Sorry he has either lost all confidence, has got to far ahead of himself or mysteriously lost his huge ability he showed in his first year.
His first time playing there. There's no point playing him there for one week and dropping him if that's the approach they elect to take. Maybe playing in the backline over a month or so will increase his defensive pressure when he's playing in the forward line.

Which of Lynch, Riewoldt, Dusty and Chol/Soldo would you have him on?

Against a forward line which contains the players I listed above? Who would you have take each of those players?
The back six named plus Allir, its all about team defence not match ups. I just cant see Fox adding anything to the rotation. McInerney will give you a better defensive effort than Fox. I cant see any reason to name him. Lynch is carrying an injury and Reiwoldt is out of touch as well so the order is not as tall as normal. Richmond are not rating us much given their ins and outs. Dusty ...it doesn't matter who lines up on Dusty, lets be frank, he will burn whoever that is (maybe that's where Fox fits!!)

Damn, spewing about Brand not getting up
Yep, he has been solid to date and we need solid!! Assume he will be cherry ripe for next game?

The back six named plus Allir, its all about team defence not match ups. I just cant see Fox adding anything to the rotation. McInerney will give you a better defensive effort than Fox. I cant see any reason to name him. Lynch is carrying an injury and Reiwoldt is out of touch as well so the order is not as tall as normal. Richmond are not rating us much given their ins and outs. Dusty ...it doesn't matter who lines up on Dusty, lets be frank, he will burn whoever that is (maybe that's where Fox fits!!)
Richmond's outs are all due to injury and players staying in Melbourne for family reasons. Let's say, hypothetically, Rampe takes Riewoldt, Mills takes a crippled Lynch, and Aliir takes the resting ruckman. Martin is far too strong for Lloyd or O'Riordan, and we can't afford to lose Dawson's rebounding by putting him on Martin. Fox seems like the most logical option out of the players we have available to go to him, even if it is far from ideal.

Richmond's outs are all due to injury and players staying in Melbourne for family reasons. Let's say, hypothetically, Rampe takes Riewoldt, Mills takes a crippled Lynch, and Aliir takes the resting ruckman. Martin is far too strong for Lloyd or O'Riordan, and we can't afford to lose Dawson's rebounding by putting him on Martin. Fox seems like the most logical option out of the players we have available to go to him, even if it is far from ideal.
So its kinda my point, why name him if he is going to simply be a sacrificial lamb. I would prefer Hewett plays a tag on Martin and you throw Clarke in the middle rather than play Fox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So its kinda my point, why name him if he is going to simply be a sacrificial lamb. I would prefer Hewett plays a tag on Martin and you throw Clarke in the middle rather than play Fox.
I'd rather Hewett in the midfield and forward of centre. Playing on Martin is already difficult enough. I don't want him playing on Martin out of position. "Sacrificial lamb" is also a pessimistic way of looking at it. The best way to have a functional team defence is to have suitable match-ups. Fox is the most suitable match-up for Martin of our remaining defenders IMO.

I'd rather Hewett in the midfield and forward of centre. Playing on Martin is already difficult enough. I don't want him playing on Martin out of position. "Sacrificial lamb" is also a pessimistic way of looking at it. The best way to have a functional team defence is to have suitable match-ups. Fox is the most suitable match-up for Martin of our remaining defenders IMO.

fox on Martin? no thanks

It's probably the kind of challenge & matchup he would thrive on. He has a good game when least expected & then disappoints the next game when he drops his concentration.

when has fox played on and thrived v someone like Martin though?

Put Hayward on Martin.
Hayward can then see first hand how a great player gets his hands on the footy.
Martin will lead him to the ball and hopefully Hayward will get a few touches and some confidence.

The irony that Horse used to go in with so many talls it become a joke is not lost on me.

If you put this team up at the start of the year as "best available" I would have fallen off the chair laughing.

Amazing how it has worked out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back