Review Round 6, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions learn your lessons from this. Getting done like we did is piss poor. What was the deal with dropping off like we did? Are we honestly that intimidated by the likes of the cats? The only champion players they have are Danger, Selwood, and (sort of still) Ablett. That's a measly 3 players out of 22!

Berry being selfish and surely not doing the team thing and it was from that very point that the whole thing went to crap and the scoreboard shows it did.

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc.

We needed to get the ball in the third and just play keepings off for a few minutes to slow their momentum. Got to hand it to their snr mids of gablett, selwood and danger. They halted our momentum, created their own and then the third quarter was just a precession.
centre clearance > mark > goal and repeat.

Was a hard game to watch, my heart skipped a beat every five minutes as a new player of ours would hobble off.

That was a weird one. I'm not sure how we go from doing so many things right one week to doing almost the complete opposite for most of the game this week. The bomb into the forward 50 is only effective if the crumbers can crumb, and on a slippery pitch where the opposition is wearing you like a jacket it's just not the strategy.

Without intentionally going into singling players out I'm really perplexed at how McStay played two totally different games in the space of 5 days. Last week he was being applauded for doing everything perfectly - and this time he was 3, 4, 5 players back in a pack mark, or not even jumping for it. A guy that size should be splitting the pack with pace and making defenders piss blood for a week from a knee into the kidney.

J.Bez had some untimely misses on goal but his work rate around the ground was still decent. He put in 7 tackles and got 3 frees out of them.

So good to see McCluggage back on the field after the shoulder thing. He's just too key to go down at the moment.

Lucky for us grand finals aren’t played on Thursdays, can’t get stage fright on the big day!
So despite not winning one of these big games in front of a national audience in years, we're just going to turn up and do the business on GF day.

I'd say we won't even get close to that given how much stage fright we get.

Not surprised.

None of the games we’ve won have we consistently made good decisions in the forward 50 for a whole game. We’ve given ourselves the opportunity to bury all the teams we played at home and we beat them with short bursts of brilliance. We play one team who knows how to take advantage of their opportunities and we get slammed.

Martin was awful. If he doesn’t get involved in the stoppage then he doesn’t add much to our team.

Didn’t take chances.
Got a contested lesson in the middle.
Rucks got dominated.
Backs looked very slow and very vulnerable.
Forward 50 entries/cohesion just not there.

Geez that Jarrod Berry miss in the second 1/4... that’s not your go dude.

You just knew they’d peg us back once they got 1 or 2 late in the second.

We soil the bed prime time with a national audience.

We’re gonna look back at this game in 10 weeks and view it as one bad quarter of footy. It happens to the best of teams. Wouldn’t be worried at all, Cats make you pay because they’ve got such a good midfield. They’re the last team you’d want to give any bit of momentum to.

Our goal kicking is The biggest issue facing the club currently. Granted some of the shots are difficult but still need to tidy it up.

we looked very slow tonight and didn't outnumber Geelong at the contest much at all.

third quarter terrible. Oscar, Linc and Birchall all played their worst games for the season. Charlie dropped some sitters.
Hopefully we can respond for next week.

Struggled for clean possession for much of the night. Feel like we haven't adjusted to the new holding the ball interpretation and seem a bit panicked/hesitant to take possession.

Inaccurate first half. Two absolute gifts with the Starcevich turnover and Gary Rohan uncontested mark in the goal square. The last quarter could have had a completely different feel to it, despite how poor we were in the 3rd.

No answer for Dangerfield. Rucks turned in their worst performance in a long time, and another half dozen well down on usual output. Lots to learn from the game.

On a night where a few players turned in a couple of average contests, loved what McCluggage showed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call. I agree.
Also agree with this. I remember feeling that last year against the cats, even though we won, they were able to turn it up in the middle when required. And again, tonight, they were able to weather the storm and we were totally smothered in the middle. CEY would've just given as a battering ram against their seasoned stars.

Really struggled to find five. Went for Neale, Ah Chee, McCluggage, Zorko and Rich. We lost the game in the midfield, but geez our forwards were rubbish.

McCarthy - five disposals / 0.0
Cameron - six disposals / 1.2
McStay - seven disposals / 0.0
Hipwood - eight disposals / 1.0

Rayner - twelve disposals / 2.0 was the only forward who could hold his head up.

We are the most inaccurate team in the competition and it is clear that Fagan must address the problems we have in our forward line. We have been able to kick winning scores because out midfield scores heavily and papered over the cracks, but when they don’t we are screwed.

For reasons that are impossible to fathom, particularly after last week, our forwards played from behind for almost the entire game and often made zero impact at the marking contests inside 50. Pathetic.

I said after last game and through last season we won’t win the flag if we are not disciplined. Selfish acts, giving away needless frees when we are streaming downfield are examples of not being disciplined. When we learn to be completely disciplined in all aspects of the game we will then be a real contender.

Birchall must be the first player to ever have had a shocker with 100% disposal efficiency.

It might be new recruit cognitive dissonance affecting me but I really am struggling to see what Birchall and Ah Chee are currently offering to justify their spot in the 22.

It might be new recruit cognitive dissonance affecting me but I really am struggling to see what Birchall and Ah Chee are currently offering to justify their spot in the 22.

Ah Chee performed quite well today, but didn't think he should have played this week.

I think Birch is passed it and we'd be much better placed getting games back into Witho.

Back