Review Round 6, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some of our problem too is a lack of mongrel. An example from tonight's game would be when Lester got taken out by that 23 mutt and none of our boys stepped in. It always bothers me when teams don't have a lot of that get-in-the-oppo's-face moxy. It tells me the players don't play for each other just the game check.

I hope the one thing that comes out of tonight is a little realisation that we have a way to go yet.

And with that realisation I hope we reconsider playing players like Birchall. I'm just lost as to his upside, and yes I don't doubt bringing in a younger tall is going to have issues too but at least they will grow with the team. He's a fine player but he brings nothing that can't be taught to a younger player with time. He wasn't the only one found out tonight but it was get wrenching to watch him get beaten over and over - and then stand there while his man takes a mark on the goal line.

Some of our boys are still yet to learn to impact games when they are having dirty nights. You can't be a by stander, go through the motions, be second to the ball just because you're having a dirty game. There were numerous times when Rich, Cameron, Bailey, Andrews, Robinson, to name a few just looked lost because things weren't happening for them.

It's fair to say that most of our guys had those moments tonight but (it seemed to me at least) just as I was about to lose it at J.Berry, McCarthy and even Lugga for going missing they suddenly inject themselves back into the game. And it showed.

But you cannot have Hipwood, Cameron, McCarthy and McStay combining for 24 disposals and hoping to win. They have to find a way to impact. They've had enough games to know that by now. Being spoon fed by Neale, Zorko and Lyons won't happen week in week out... find a way to affect the game. Last week Charlie was all over the ground... what happened tonight?
100% agree!

Votes for Zork, Rayner and Neale.

Shockers from Birchall, Martin and Cameron. Edit: And McCarthy. Also forgot he was playing.

Ah Chee - a lot of love of here. I like that people aren't just whipping for the hell of it, but i thought he was acceptable mid-range tonight, not actually good.

TBerry - hope they persist. He's coming along. Pressure through the roof.

5 day breaks - gee, this season is going to be rough. Don't think their bodies are geared for the short breaks.

We seem to struggle when teams bring high pressure around the ball, our game seems to fall apart.

Our mids couldn't get their hands on the ball inside the contest and when they did they couldn't find any space. I feel like we really missed CEY's big body around the contest just to create space for the likes of Neale and Zorko.

We lost our structures and they continually found an overlap runner. We were smashed in the middle in that 3rd quarter so I wouldn't be blaming the forwards too much.

Positives were the improved game of Achee, still not sold but happy to give him time to find his feet. I hope we will soon see a similiar improvement in Birchall because at the moment he is a liability defensively with just how slow he is.

Also, I already knew McCluggage was a classy player but great to see the toughness in his desire to get back onto the field after hurting his shoulder.

Matheson will be a must for next week, missed CEY, and we need to fix these set shots. Don't know how a coach would fix that at this point in the season.

Really badly need a tall forward who can take a mark, McStay and Hipwood aren't cutting it right now and are only keeping their spots due to little to no competition/the role they play (chaos balls).

The call of someone who just looked at this year's goal kicking stats. IIRC McStay was 6.0 before this game.
Votes for Zork, Rayner and Neale.

Shockers from Birchall, Martin and Cameron. Edit: And McCarthy. Also forgot he was playing.

Ah Chee - a lot of love of here. I like that people aren't just whipping for the hell of it, but i thought he was acceptable mid-range tonight, not actually good.

TBerry - hope they persist. He's coming along. Pressure through the roof.

5 day breaks - gee, this season is going to be rough. Don't think their bodies are geared for the short breaks.
well we apparently have debt. About 9 days until GWS, so time to rest up, so doubt there will be changes, unless for injuries, but IF GWS do to us what Cats just did in the 3rd Q then Birchall gone, Lester gone, McCarthy gone

Playing like rock stars in the second started it.

Berry being selfish and surely not doing the team thing and it was from that very point that the whole thing went to crap and the scoreboard shows it did.
I know I'll get slammed for saying this but its true. There is not a game played by Brisbane that J.Berry isnt selfish at least 2-3 times in a game. The thing that really irks me is that he doesnt seem to get pulled up by Fagan unlike others who might do the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After tonight are we likely to get another prime time game?
We were doing something right in prime time though for a while. 22 points up at one stage in second quarter and then SHOULD have been 28 points up. We won 3 quarters so i don't think it was complete shambles in relation to Collingwood game last year. As people have been saying lets learn from what happened. We will see if we are good enough or not.

waiting nervously for the medical report. A lot of sore bodies out there it looked.

I need to change my mindset too... when we lose against Cats, Dogs or Tigers I take it much worse. They really did teach us a lesson, and I'm thankful it was now rather than later :)

We were doing something right in prime time though for a while. 22 points up at one stage in second quarter and then SHOULD have been 28 points up. We won 3 quarters so i don't think it was complete shambles in relation to Collingwood game last year. As people have been saying lets learn from what happened. We will see if we are good enough or not.

That pies game was horrendous. As much as I love the Lions I felt acute embarrassment and dare I say, shame, at being a fan of the maroon, blue, and gold that night.

I know I'll get slammed for saying this but its true. There is not a game played by Brisbane that J.Berry isnt selfish at least 2-3 times in a game. The thing that really irks me is that he doesnt seem to get pulled up by Fagan unlike others who might do the same.
I can believe that too. In one of the recent Locker Talks the boys openly joked that Jarrod Berry is Fagan's "pet". Even if its subconscious, I reckon Fagan wouldn't pull up Berry as he would a Mathieson or a Cox.

Yep, he probably should have given that one off, but his game was otherwise impressive. Don’t be too hard on players that want to take the responsibility to kick the goal themselves. Watching 10 blokes flick it around looking for excuses not to have a shot on goal is far more excruciating, believe me.

Quite rightly, Fagan's coaching is being called out on the First Crack, particularly in relation to our forward structure and Charlie Cameron's attitude an desire also questioned. Couldn't disagree with any of it.

I think Fagan's coaching (or his assistants), not his man management and relationship with the boys, needs questioning. Our game plan just doesn't stand up against the good teams.

Finally, our score and accuracy this season needs immediate fixing - 59.77.431 compared to our opposition's 54.46.370 a difference of 5 goals 31 points.

Insipid.

Believed our own hype, which is beyond staggering given how poor we were in the finals series.

Too many players are bruise free footballers who just don't want to do the hard work when its their turn.

There's also quite a few players that looked very tired or are carrying injuries including Rich, Birchall, Lester, Gardiner, Martin to name a few.

We just lost.. every team has had a bad loss or two.

Our form on the big stage is a real issue, as soon as we see Channel 7 we s**t ourselves. Pies Easter last year, Richmond and richmond final.. it's a thing.

I'm interested to see how we bounce back. I was surprised to see us that flat tonight.

Just finished watching. Looked like they came to bully us a little and we didn't try to stand up for ourselves. That 3rd quarter, wtf happened. If it wasn't Geelong getting a clearance, it was them getting a free kick or one of our guys going to the bench as they were injured. Also looked like at certain times they had given up and stopped running, spreading, 2nd to the ball etc. Always seemed to be a spare Geelong player. Lots of players didn't play well but really pissed about the Birchall one where he just let Rohan get an uncontested mark in the goal square

Back