Review Round 6, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor Jarred copping flak for one mistake . He was one of our better players .
Not one mistake and more came and very un-Jarrod like. While a number of people like to judge the quality of a player’s game by their number of disposals, I like to judge it by the content of their performance. Jarrod will hate many of the highlights.

I know I'll get slammed for saying this but its true. There is not a game played by Brisbane that J.Berry isnt selfish at least 2-3 times in a game. The thing that really irks me is that he doesnt seem to get pulled up by Fagan unlike others who might do the same.
Am a fan of J Berry, but he could have hit (his good mate) Clugga at one point straight in front and took (yet another) running miss. The break a tackle thing is not selfish, but he has to realise he is not the best finisher.

After such a strong powerful win last week - we looked flat after the first 30 mins and when Geelong lifted the tempo and starting bashing us about in contested footy we had no answers. Dangerfield relished not having someone tag him and destroyed us. Almost looked like he has been going through the motions this year but really set himself for this match against an upcoming team with the current best mid fielder.

Also looked like a game where we had played the top team the week before and had a 5 day break and while the Cats also had a 5 day break they paced themselves against the Suns and looked to have more in tank even with a couple players ruled out early.

I was looking at the stats at HT and said to my son not sure we are going as well as we think - apart from Neale and Zorko no other Lions player had more then 10 disposals and the Cats had a heap of players who had won the ball. The signs were already there and Charlie Cameron had a stinker a night.

McStay after playing his best game last week was quiet and Hippy just fumbles too much. Need to get more from them when we are doing it tough and they need to stop going for the same ball - need separation some times.

The mids got beaten up big time and we had to take Lester off Rohan who exposed Froggys pace. Gardiner looked banged up to me. Thought Ah Chee probably played his best game so that was a positive.

Stef is struggling but could have got a few free kicks but umps were waiting for Ablett - Danger and Selwood to tell them what to do. No team does it better in the AFL than the Cats when it comes to this stuff. Always in umps ears and Dangerfield is an expert and holding onto the ball for a few extra seconds when its other teams free kick. Special mention for the Dangerfield effort to hold the ball up and push and shove a few of our players and then turn to umpire and say its my free kick right, knowing full well it wasn't. Should have been 50m every time.

Am a fan of J Berry, but he could have hit (his good mate) Clugga at one point straight in front and took (yet another) running miss. The break a tackle thing is not selfish, but he has to realise he is not the best finisher.
I like him backing himself to be honest. He's kicked some important goals over the last few weeks because of it.

I also think you'd find J.Berry would be our leading assist getter over the last three years, so that doesn't scream selfish to me. He is allowed to make mistakes.

After sleeping on it, a couple of thoughts.
Four games at the GABBA with the cricket centre, 5 day break and Stef looked like he was wearing concrete boots.

During the 2nd period we were running the ball through the centre towards another inside 50, when a player was pinged for holding. Didn’t see it as I think the incident was just off camera and Geelong took the ball forward for the first of the two goals they kicked before halftime. The momentum changed then.

Hawkins off contract at end of year, anyone interested in getting him to the GABBA for a couple of seasons?

Playing like rock stars in the second started it.

Berry being selfish and surely not doing the team thing and it was from that very point that the whole thing went to crap and the scoreboard shows it did.
Are you referring to Berry going for goal, and missing.
Was it late in the second? and not hittting someone up, if so I felt at the time that was complacency or thinking we've won this , time for a few glory shots. He'll learn from that, no doubt, he'll be a great player.
Pretty sure it was Charlie in the square so unsure whether he didn't lead or what , but that was a momentum shifter.

We simply need to play a bit smarter when we move the ball or getting bodies in motion to create space and avenues.
Again , bombing not only into forward 50 , but around the ground.
We look better when we can handball out of trouble and get to the free man, banging the ball onto the boot will only get you so far.
Last season was evidence to that.

I can believe that too. In one of the recent Locker Talks the boys openly joked that Jarrod Berry is Fagan's "pet". Even if its subconscious, I reckon Fagan wouldn't pull up Berry as he would a Mathieson or a Cox.
We don't know what goes on behind closed doors D12, from what I have seen in player clips one of Fagan's strengths is his honesty, IMO Jarred would be getting honest feedback in their coaches player performance reviews, Fagan is not the type of coach to give ANY player a public whack.

They got a sniff when we wasted an opportunity to go ~30 points up in the 2nd. I think that's why a few get frustrated we haven't buried a team yet despite opportunities to do so in most games. A better team would have ended that by half time, knowing Geelong had much more to give. Geelong were great in the 3rd. When they stop throwing their hands up at the umpire like entitled little pricks and play football they're very good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it late in the second? and not hittting someone up, if so I felt at the time that was complacency or thinking we've won this , time for a few glory shots. He'll learn from that, no doubt, he'll be a great player.
Pretty sure it was Charlie in the square so unsure whether he didn't lead or what , but that was a momentum shifter.

Charlie was well-manned. McCluggage was apparently free around the 50? I couldn't see that as I was on the opposite site of the ground. Either way I would've expected a shot on goal there from any player who had the range - he was pretty much straight on and wasn't under particular pressure. It's a high percentage shot other than being on the run, and a set shot from a worse angle is probably a similar percentage shot.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors D12, from what I have seen in player clips one of Fagan's strengths is his honesty, IMO Jarred would be getting honest feedback in their coaches player performance reviews, Fagan is not the type of coach to give ANY player a public whack.
Of course I have NFI what goes on behind closed door, but its obvious that the one person on the inside that does is saying that's the case, that's the point.

I had no issue with Berry having the shot on the run. I have an issue with the fact that he only just managed to get a point - in his first two years he was one of the most reliable kicks for goal but the last couple years he has digressed like a lot of our players when in front of goal.. Charlie you almost expect to miss from any set shot 40metres out. Snaps he is excellent.

I do think we have an issue in that a lot of our shots are from the boundary line or severe angles. It's probably a reason for the poor conversion. We don't create/ kick enough easy goals against the good sides.

Are you referring to Berry going for goal, and missing.
We were 22 points up at the time and obviously would've gone 28 points up and McCluggage was 45m directly in front with no one in eons around him, so he could've ran in another 15m and kicked it. The boys were well and truly up and about after Lachie's goal and had Berry converted or passed minutes later, we would've been flying and may not have conceded those two goals before half time or even built on the lead.

Jarrod's disastrous error at such a critical time was a classic "coach killer" albeit Fagan is safe as houses.

Brandon Starcevich is another that wouldn't want to see a replay of this game either. That kick in the third quarter was appalling and was on the back of a good 3-4 errors in the first half.

I must be slow on the uptake, who is that one person?
The person that laughed at your post (#135) has inside knowledge. Well to me at least they do because they are pretty much spot on every time even if at times we've had our run ins.

Then again, who haven't I had a run in with? ;)

We were 22 points up at the time and obviously would've gone 28 points up and McCluggage was 45m directly in front with no one in eons around him, so he could've ran in another 15m and kicked it. The boys were well and truly up and about after Lachie's goal and had Berry converted or passed minutes later, we would've been flying and may not have conceded those two goals before half time or even built on the lead.

Jarrod's disastrous error at such a critical time was a classic "coach killer" albeit Fagan is safe as houses.

Brandon Starcevich is another that wouldn't want to see a replay of this game either. That kick in the third quarter was appalling and was on the back of a good 3-4 errors in the first half.
Yes Starcevich's kick was a shocker. My dog jumped of the couch and out the front door when I reacted but he is still learning his craft and pressure games like this is where he will do just that. He has heaps of upside. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

You forgot the ‘isn’t he?’ at the end of that. Bruce is forever asking nobody in particular to quantify his thoughts.
IMO, the commentary of all games has regressed to new lows this year. Bruce is just a terrible commentator and has been past it for the better part of a decade. Who seriously employs these clowns?

Aside from Hudson, who also seems to be regressing this year and Brenton Speed (don't really know who he is, but haven't heard him in a while and is one that you know, just calls the actual game without banging on about anything or a particular player).

Yes Starcevich's kick was a shocker. My dog jumped of the couch and out the front door when I reacted but he is still learning his craft and pressure games like this is where he will do just that. He has heaps of upside. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

Some people have thrown out the actual bathtub as well and are now chipping away at the bathroom tiles with a chisel and hammer.

IMO, the commentary of all games has regressed to new lows this year. Bruce is just a terrible commentator and has been past it for the better part of a decade. Who seriously employs these clowns?

Aside from Hudson, who also seems to be regressing this year and Brenton Speed (don't really know who he is, but haven't heard him in a while and is one that you know, just calls the actual game without banging on about anything or a particular player).
I have Foxtel so I now just match up a radio commentary with the game and life is good again. Cannot listen to their dribble.

Starcevich needs to be omitted for last night's display. A message needs to be sent particularly given we aren't short of players to play his position. I'd add Birchall to the list of omissions. Just no words.

Back