Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumont has turned himself into a topline runner and is very defensively dedicated. I basically think of him as being a poor man's Mitch Robinson as that defensive winger. Dumont doesn't impose himself onto the game or hit the scoreboard as much but like him could be a quality part of a functioning machine. Difference is Robinson is surrounded by better quality players. Dumont is one of many limited footballers in the North side.

Don't get me wrong Dumont is definitely AFL quality and would easily get a game on the wing at Essendon (Cutler, Ham, Langford, Zaharakis isn't a great group). It's just not really worth persisting with Mutch when Dumont would be a high level outcome for him.

Shaw: It was a quick turnaround after the Bulldogs game to get up here, but we’ve settled in really well. We’re enjoying bonding more and have had some good sessions.

Shaw: We have to address the way we’ve been playing. We know it’s not at the level we know can produce. We had some very frank conversations this week, and that’s allowed us to move forward quickly.

Shaw: This rivalry (with Essendon) has been going in for a long time. We’re really looking forward to the challenge. They’ve had the wood over us in the last few games, but we’re hoping to change that this weekend.

Shaw: We were of the potential of shorter breaks, so we’re happy to have our full list up here. Having everyone here puts us in a good position.

End of the media conference.

Last edited:
The unknowns are frustrating no doubt, we have no true visibility of the scratch matches to understand why is eg) Hosie not being given a go etc

but what is equally frustrating is the knowns
There is no reason macmillan should be in over Marley, our worst defender kept in over our best lockdown defender. Ludicrous

I hear you Ziebs, but I don't know if Marley has a niggle, was late to a meeting, drank a bottle of whisky and woke up at Dane Swans ;-)
I actually thought JMac was solid in the first half last week.
I do think we are a chance this week, with Larkey in I'd have confidence. Larkey is vital to us I reckon.
Would love Will Walker in and EVW - both looked the goods before injury ...... :-(

Changes thread off the back of 3 straight losses is never going to be all rainbows and soothing back-rubs, H, but some folks around here could definitely do with reining it in a tad. Particularly the ones saying the season is shot already. We win the next couple and we're right back in it. In case people hadn't noticed, we're not the only ones struggling with consistency in this (most ****ed up) season. Hope springs eternal, you sad sacks.

But yeah, Changes threads can tend to highlight the disconnect between supporter expectation and assumption, and footy club reality. Both when it comes to the logic behind the team that's selected, and those who have been left out. Strange that you have to keep reminding some posters of this, but there's a metric shitload of stuff that goes on at a footy club in any given week that most of us just aren't privy to. I'm not saying that people shouldn't air their theories on selection - that's why we're all here - but using assumption as a premise to player bash or lose your sh*t is pretty ****ing weird IMO.

Be useful if some posters tried a bit harder to understand the rationale behind selection, or failing that simply admit their confusion, rather than just defaulting straight to anger and using their own assumptions as a basis to automatically attribute incompetence to Shaw and co. Give the bloke a chance.

While I most definitely advocate a run of bad form being grounds for omission, I see our current issues to be a little more structural and systemic in nature. A case of the collective not functioning properly, rather than some below-par individuals bringing the whole thing undone. (Insert US police force joke here.) Not sure whether that's on the money, but it certainly helps in not getting too overwrought about the current selections being made.

Either way, it's Friday now so shirley it's time to put the 'woe is us' hand-wringing to one side and chuck the game faces on. Time to turn our disgust outward rather than inward. Time to find unity in our mutual, DNA-hardwired hatred for *. Time to pray to the Shinboner Gods that we beat these scumbags.

Dream scenario would be an easy win, with either Atley, Hall, or JMac best on ground. You won't be able to move around here for bumped posts.

Great post TOD, and the part about struggling with consistency, and "the collective not functioning properly" made me think of, and maybe resonates a little with what Ziebs wrote in his most recent post-match letter to the player sponsors:

"We head to Gold Coast this morning so hopefully this is the reset we need after a few poor weeks. We are looking forward to spending some time together as a group because that has been missing lately."

It's been a fractured year in so many ways. As much as I hate to say it, maybe the Gold Coast can serve as a mini-Utah quick double time. We may just be able to pull this one together, like a giant field trip where you're stuck with another *school that you hate. And then you get to fight *them.

I also think Campbell will go okay. I still have a ton of faith in us, and in this weird year.

Changes thread off the back of 3 straight losses is never going to be all rainbows and soothing back-rubs, H, but some folks around here could definitely do with reining it in a tad. Particularly the ones saying the season is shot already. We win the next couple and we're right back in it. In case people hadn't noticed, we're not the only ones struggling with consistency in this (most ****ed up) season. Hope springs eternal, you sad sacks.

But yeah, Changes threads can tend to highlight the disconnect between supporter expectation and assumption, and footy club reality. Both when it comes to the logic behind the team that's selected, and those who have been left out. Strange that you have to keep reminding some posters of this, but there's a metric shitload of stuff that goes on at a footy club in any given week that most of us just aren't privy to. I'm not saying that people shouldn't air their theories on selection - that's why we're all here - but using assumption as a premise to player bash or lose your sh*t is pretty ****ing weird IMO.

Be useful if some posters tried a bit harder to understand the rationale behind selection, or failing that simply admit their confusion, rather than just defaulting straight to anger and using their own assumptions as a basis to automatically attribute incompetence to Shaw and co. Give the bloke a chance.

While I most definitely advocate a run of bad form being grounds for omission, I see our current issues to be a little more structural and systemic in nature. A case of the collective not functioning properly, rather than some below-par individuals bringing the whole thing undone. (Insert US police force joke here.) Not sure whether that's on the money, but it certainly helps in not getting too overwrought about the current selections being made.

Either way, it's Friday now so shirley it's time to put the 'woe is us' hand-wringing to one side and chuck the game faces on. Time to turn our disgust outward rather than inward. Time to find unity in our mutual, DNA-hardwired hatred for *. Time to pray to the Shinboner Gods that we beat these scumbags.

Dream scenario would be an easy win, with either Atley, Hall, or JMac best on ground. You won't be able to move around here for bumped posts.

POTY

Weird selections but I also am putting a lot of faith in Shaw

We will win. Bit of feeling behind this one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow Damo, anyone would think you are a Bombers fan:

IF ...
it was only three weeks ago that some in the media ridiculously and pathetically launched into Conor McKenna for recording a positive COVID-19 test ...

THEN ...
rapt that he gets to play his first game of 2020, against North Melbourne on Saturday night. A crucial component of this emerging Bombers team.

wow Damo, anyone would think you are a Bombers fan:

IF ...
it was only three weeks ago that some in the media ridiculously and pathetically launched into Conor McKenna for recording a positive COVID-19 test ...

THEN ...
rapt that he gets to play his first game of 2020, against North Melbourne on Saturday night. A crucial component of this emerging Bombers team.

Damo didn't earn the moniker Deep Throat because he's a great journalist :sternlook

POTY

Weird selections but I also am putting a lot of faith in Shaw

We will win. Bit of feeling behind this one
I hope you're right. Not to be the typing black cloud, but I'm expecting a loss. I don't have much faith in the team, and the changes this week don't give me a lot of confidence, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong if we somehow manage to roll these pricks.

Damo didn't earn the moniker Deep Throat because he's a great journalist :sternlook

There’s being a fair and balanced journalist and then there’s downright fellatio...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back