Our next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenac

All Australian
Apr 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some will say this is premature but whether you want a new captain in 2020, 2021 or 2022 the question is actually the same. Our next captain is already on our list, we simply won't hand it to anyone picked in the next 2 drafts and we won't trade in anyone fit to be our captain. By 2022 we should absolutely have a new captain at the very latest. If it were me it'd be sooner but that's a matter of opinion.

Bonus points if we can pick someone whose spot in the side isn't under question each week.

Doedee has already had his name thrown around.

Fog just looks like a man you would follow.

Could it be a Jones?

I think if Hamill asked I'd say yes because I'm so smitten.

Anyway enough about my dreams, who is it?

Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some will say this is premature but whether you want a new captain in 2020, 2021 or 2022 the question is actually the same. Our next captain is already on our list, we simply won't hand it to anyone picked in the next 2 drafts and we won't trade in anyone fit to be our captain. By 2022 we should absolutely have a new captain at the very latest. If it were me it'd be sooner but that's a matter of opinion.

Bonus points if we can pick someone whose spot in the side isn't under question each week.

Doedee has already had his name thrown around.

Fog just looks like a man you would follow.

Could it be a Jones?

I think if Hamill asked I'd say yes because I'm so smitten.

Anyway enough about my dreams, who is it?
Talia is the man to lead us through the s**t of the next 2 years. Doedee can take over once we have crawled through the sewerage.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Talia is the man to lead us through the sh*t of the next 2 years. Doedee can take over once we have crawled through the sewerage.
I agree Talia would be a better captain than Sloane. Don't want to sound harsh on Sloane but I have always found him to come off as a rather selfish person. A captain can't be that. The other part is he is cooked as a player and would have no hesitation trading him. Talia for a year or two then Doedee Captain unless a natural leader comes forward next couple of years. Feel Schoenberg may make a good leader at some point.

Last edited:

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree Talia is a much better captain than Sloane. Don't want to sound harsh on Sloane but I have always found him to come off as a rather selfish person. A captain can't be that. The other part is he is cooked as a player and would have no hesitation trading him. Talia for a year or two then Doedee Captain unless a natural leader comes forward next couple of years.
Tex obviously was a better skipper than Sloane. Unfortunately Rory goes missing too often for a mid.

Doedee looks the one, but I think ROB has some leadership characteristics

Greenac

All Australian
Apr 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like Talia as an option because he does lead the troops down back and his selection isn't in question week to week but I don't see the sense in giving him two years. I'd go straight to the long term option, nothing develops your leadership like experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
Sure you can, but I'd rather an inspiring one than a conservative leader

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s not what you said though is it? You said you need a gun player as your captain.

A role player can lead by example and be inspirational by doing all the little things, all the time, by putting their body on the line at every contest. Shannon Hurn is a great example.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s not what you said though is it? You said you need a gun player as your captain.

A role player can lead by example and be inspirational by doing all the little things, all the time, by putting their body on the line at every contest. Shannon Hurn is a great example.
Sure they can if you would rather be conservative

Up to you I suppose

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I said in another thread, would love to see Talia as our captain. Just seems like a guy that doesn't take any s**t, has high exceptions on himself and those around him and isn't going to feed us all bs when we've been poor.

Think when he won our B&F he really showed it and has been unlucky to have been overlooked from that point on. I loved the Tex appointment but feel like Talia should have been the one, not Sloane - I love him as a player but just doesn't have that captain vibe, doesn't help that he seems to be really struggling.

Looking past Talia, outside of Doedee I don't really see any other stand out options. Those saying names like Jones are crazy imo, he's played 14 odd games with a few nice patches. Maybe down the track but he's first got to cement his spot in the team with strong performances (which he's starting to move in the right direction) first before leadership/captaincy comes into consideration.

Back