Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

So we're choosing to play him in the role that saw him get 4 games in 3 years and get delisted, instead of the role that basically saw him be the dominant player in the VFL last year?

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
So we're choosing to play him in the role that saw him get 4 games in 3 years and get delisted, instead of the role that basically saw him be the dominant player in the VFL last year?

It makes no sense. None whatsoever. It's not like he's playing inside after the centre bounce. We've actually been pretty shaky in close. Moreso in the first half. We do need someone in tight to absorb some pressure. If Cunnington had been playing North'd have flayed us in close.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Really good last quarter, worked his ring off

In a weird way, and contrary to the reality that he has not been played in his position for a second of his 2 games so far, it's almost like he's trusted as a safe pair of hands. He was the guy behind the ball in defence.

Can't say I see what it is they really like about him in the role he is being played. Happy for it to continue as long as there is some on-ball time in his future at some point.

I don't get it. Should be playing the inside role for us. We have other options for the role he played today.
I thought he did OK in the game and found the ball a bit in general play. Not his strength, but will be good with that other around the ground play added.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought he did OK in the game and found the ball a bit in general play. Not his strength, but will be good with that other around the ground play added.
He played alright (especially the last quarter), but I don't really understand the role they want him to play for us when that isn't the reason why he's on an AFL list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could not really care less where he is playing. He improved from his first game and looked a bit more on the pace of the game. All I want to see is that he is up to AFL level. He looks to be working towards that.

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cricket basketball tennis athletics
Will get a game next week if Shiel is missing. Please play him on the inside next week, not on the outside.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Crispin Glover look a like anyone?

bigstock-LOS-ANGELES-JUN-Crispin-Glover.jpg

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks a bit slow.
Having said that, don't mind him in the team getting a look in, and yes do play him in the guts. Might have a smidge more flexibility than Clarke perhaps?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Wondering if he plays wing/HB as a stoppage player for the throw ins so we can ricochet and have the runners ready to receive.

Either way would think he's in there with McGrath, Merrett & Parish this week and we bring Francis and Redman in for Shiel and McKenna.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I could not really care less where he is playing. He improved from his first game and looked a bit more on the pace of the game. All I want to see is that he is up to AFL level. He looks to be working towards that.

Yeah fair enough. Second half against North was solid. He's still a bit off the pace.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
As an objective third party, was pleased to see Hibbo get a 2nd chance. Thought he'd be in your side as that inside mid from day one. Without Heppell or (now) Shiel, its a no brainer. Throw him in the guts and let him show his wares.

That's what you got him for.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
As an objective third party, was pleased to see Hibbo get a 2nd chance. Thought he'd be in your side as that inside mid from day one. Without Heppell or (now) Shiel, its a no brainer. Throw him in the guts and let him show his wares.

That's what you got him for.

I'm not sure you've seen much of Essendon's team selection policies over the years, but it basically involves recruiting a player because they perform well in one role, playing them at a lower level in that role where they perform well, bringing them in to the AFL side on the back of that performance, playing them in a totally different role, dropping them on the back of performing poorly in that role, then repeating the process over the next 1 - 3 seasons until finally delisting that player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back