Toast Welcome to Freo, James Aish!

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just have a feeling this Journeyman will probably finish up in SA when his contract with us expires. Just a feeling.

That being said. He's been great since the first Marsh practice game. Clean disposal, Smart, Courageous and plays team orientated footy.

Would be around 3rd in the doig for us atm right behind Walters and Tucker.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just have a feeling this Journeyman will probably finish up in SA when his contract with us expires. Just a feeling.

That being said. He's been great since the first Marsh practice game. Clean disposal, Smart, Courageous and plays team orientated footy.

Would be around 3rd in the doig for us atm right behind Walters and Tucker.
Journeyman? He’s no journeyman. He’s a bloody good AFL player. Journeymen don’t get moved on because their salary’s are too large. Been in the top 5 players from Freo every game this year. He likes working with JLo too so there’s no reason we can’t retain him if the list manager doesn’t his job properly.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Journeyman? He’s no journeyman. He’s a bloody good AFL player. Journeymen don’t get moved on because their salary’s are too large. Been in the top 5 players from Freo every game this year. He likes working with JLo too so there’s no reason we can’t retain him if the list manager doesn’t his job properly.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the term journeyman doesn’t mean you’re an average player. It’s just that average players are more likely to need to move clubs.

Aish was drafted from South Australia and has played for three AFL clubs in three different states. He’s pretty much the definition of a journeyman.

IlGolf

Rookie
Sep 21, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Correct me if I’m wrong but the term journeyman doesn’t mean you’re an average player. It’s just that average players are more likely to need to move clubs.

Aish was drafted from South Australia and has played for three AFL clubs in three different states. He’s pretty much the definition of a journeyman.

I always thought it just meant someone who had played for multiple clubs.

Dictionary.com wasn't really backing that up though

"1) a person who has served an apprenticeship at a trade or handicraft and is certified to work at it assisting or under another person.
2) any experienced, competent but routine worker or performer.
3) a person hired to do work for another, usually for a day at a time."

This would seem to reflect the idea that a journeyman is a just okay player.

But when I did a wiki search for journeyman in a sports context, it seems there is a difference between US and British English, which backs up that it just means a player who plays for multiple clubs in Australia.

"In American English, a journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete who is technically competent but unable to excel.[1] The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for numerous clubs during their career.[2] In Britain, the term is also used derogatorily, along with mercenary, to refer to players who join various affluent clubs purely in search of higher contractual payouts rather than to further their career; usually clubs which they would likely never join otherwise."

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Journeyman or not, e is the best value trade we have ever doe based on exposed form. Neat with his disposal, brave and and attacking with or without the ball. Composed and good decision maker. All attributes we need from a spare this year. Great pickup by the recruiting team to identify him as a possible salary cap dump by Collingwood and get it done.

He has embraced Freo by all accounts both on and off the field so great respect goes to him for that as well.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watch a lot of premier league football having grown up in Ireland. The term journeyman is an insulting term in the context of PL football anyway and refers to players who have multiple clubs while making virtually no impact on any of the teams they play on. The championship and league one in the UK for example, would be full of your classic “journeyman” types that are average players for several different clubs. Anyone who has watched “Sunderland till I die” on Netflix will see plenty of examples of journeymen collecting exorbitant wages while doing very little to justify them to the passionate fans they represent.
I have noticed that there aren’t many journeymen in the AFL as the salary cap system eliminates the ability to have many average players in their late 20s hanging around on lists not contributing much.

We need him to play with us for five seasons to ensure he gets past the 100 games.

Last I saw he was dating an Olympic middle distance runner.

Dad's clean collection and distribution with mum's athleticism will be amazing father son/daughter pick ups

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need him to play with us for five seasons to ensure he gets past the 100 games.

Last I saw he was dating an Olympic middle distance runner.

Dad's clean collection and distribution with mum's athleticism will be amazing father son/daughter pick ups
they broke up aaaaages ago! We need to find him a perth girl

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think she is a vegan. That would make it hard on a bulking boy
at least she provided the world with this iconic moment
1594548426413.png

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watch a lot of premier league football having grown up in Ireland. The term journeyman is an insulting term in the context of PL football anyway and refers to players who have multiple clubs while making virtually no impact on any of the teams they play on. The championship and league one in the UK for example, would be full of your classic “journeyman” types that are average players for several different clubs. Anyone who has watched “Sunderland till I die” on Netflix will see plenty of examples of journeymen collecting exorbitant wages while doing very little to justify them to the passionate fans they represent.
I have noticed that there aren’t many journeymen in the AFL as the salary cap system eliminates the ability to have many average players in their late 20s hanging around on lists not contributing much.

Sunderland Til I Die definitely had a few of those types.

I’ll give the example of Nicholas Anelka. Played for more clubs than you can count but among them were Real Madrid and Chelsea. I’d call him a journeyman - guess others wouldn’t.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

I’ll give the example of Nicholas Anelka. Played for more clubs than you can count but among them were Real Madrid and Chelsea. I’d call him a journeyman - guess others wouldn’t.
Anelka was a journeyman, he was just much better than most of the other ones.

Journeyman or not, e is the best value trade we have ever doe based on exposed form. Neat with his disposal, brave and and attacking with or without the ball. Composed and good decision maker. All attributes we need from a spare this year. Great pickup by the recruiting team to identify him as a possible salary cap dump by Collingwood and get it done.

He has embraced Freo by all accounts both on and off the field so great respect goes to him for that as well.

I was/am a Huge Aish and that what Annoys me that we just a Salary Dump where we had lot worse players we could of Dumped

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

And the funny thing is the trophies he won....

Played for teams like real Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bolton and Chelsea.

Won an EPL title with Arsenal and Chelsea.

Back