Autopsy vs * - Rd 6, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Well obviously they don’t, otherwise the two dickheads that have a big say in him playing wouldnt have picked him to play as a forward?

I get this feeling that Tom is one of those great clubman that is well liked by the group and gives it his all. Maybe they feel obliged to give him a game because of what he brings to the group? They won’t play him in the ruck, because we have one of the best in the comp, so they stick him up forward, cross their fingers and hope something will happen. Well its been tried twice now and if there is a third time god help us, we have just employed a dud.

Surely after tonight Campbell is only ever break glass in case of emergency.
Look at our forward structure.

Pretty sure the emergency already happened last weekend.

agree; the one we have who is showing a similar ability is Kyron Hayden
That butcher who had too many chances already and is destined for the scrap heap?

(Yes I'm joking. Hayden... There are about six players in front of him who need a slap. And then seven others who need a boot up the backside to go with it.)

Been following North for more than 40 years.
Never been so flat about us.
Almost unwatchtable over last month. The same mistakes over and over again such as the last minute goals. The inability to have a small pressure forward have an impact. Brown failing to compete in the air. Hall burning his teammates. Atley trailing his opponent to a contest. And then to pick Campbell.
I know we have injuries but all teams have injuries, and not once in last four games have I felt like we were a winning chance.
Where's the excitement?
Simpkin and Goldstein are about it, with the odd highlight from Zurhaar. Other than that why would you watch us. Tragics like us on here will but anyone else won't bother.
I remember a couple of years under Laidley where we just hung on game after game, hoping to snatch a win, and never genuinely looking a chance. This feels like that again.
Sadly we've largely been mired in mediocrity for 20 years and it continues.
If we are to bottom out, which is really what we need to rebuild the list, then we can't make mistakes like picking Campbell and playing Hall. I acknowledge that Shaw is playing several kids, something Scott always feared, but players like the two mentioned earlier must not take games off others any more.
I can't remember the last time we lost four on trot, and it's hard to see where next win comes from.
We need to play Adelaide, and it's hard to believe that's where we are at after the way we finished last year.
To cap it off my young fella is thinking of a switch to GWS.
Just a sh*t sandwich.
I’m actually scared of playing Adelaide.

Begs the black hat question, was Scotts right about a whole rebuild?

And let's stick to that rebuild concept before launching into his career

The issue is not with the concept of a rebuild, it’s the audacity of it coming from a bloke who brought in Tyson, Hall, Pittard, Polec on long term deals and signed Campbell to a 2 year deal.

The issue is not with the concept of a rebuild, it’s the audacity of it coming from a bloke who brought in Tyson, Hall, Pittard, Polec on long term deals and signed Campbell to a 2 year deal.
The very definition of topping up.

He was 100% right. Should have happened Avery the Dusty and Kelly chases. Hell, maybe after the 16 season.
This is who is gone since the 16 season:

Bread McKenzie
Hansen
Wells
Spitta
Spud
LT
Clarke
Dal
Hunter
Fishy
Spammy Wright
Dish
Nielson
Boomer
W80
Aaron Black
Joel Tippett
Hibberd
(That is 18)
Wags
Mountford
Gibbo

Then rookies

Nahas
Preuss
Fordham
Fazz Razz

That is 25 players or over half the list.

So how else would we have done this rebuild?

Have we not commenced a rebuild ? I thought that was what we did with the player exodus in 2016? Another clean out this year and some higher draft picks will be what we need
We have been rebuilding since summer 2016/7.

Our first player from the 2016 draft is just coming into his own now.

Is Larkey going to make our forward line function? Tonight we were shocking up forward
Yes. He straightens us up. and rarely misses. Apart from that its an old story, we were given more than enough chances to win last night and continually blew it. I agree with Shaw in that we had the chances they took theirs, we didn't, game over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been rebuilding since summer 2016/7.

Our first player from the 2016 draft is just coming into his own now.

I think this is spot on. We have a really solid list of under 23's. It is probably the 2022 season when our list will really start to come into its own with Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Hayden, Taylor, Larkey, Zurhaar, Scott and a few others all being in the zone where they have enough experience to be very consistent AFL footballers. I have high hopes for our 2019 draftees too and all three of Flynn, Comben, and Mahoney could be established players by then.

I think this is spot on. We have a really solid list of under 23's. It is probably the 2022 season when our list will really start to come into its own with Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Hayden, Taylor, Larkey, Zurhaar, Scott and a few others all being in the zone where they have enough experience to be very consistent AFL footballers. I have high hopes for our 2019 draftees too and all three of Flynn, Comben, and Mahoney could be established players by then.

How many of those do you think will be top 20 AFL players. Maybe Simpkin. Too early on Thomas.

Geez it was laughable watching Campbell last night and how far off from it he is. Shocking selection. Playing a 20% fit Maj wouldve been better.

I couldn’t get my head around so many inside 50s going to Brown, Campbell and Zurhaar within 2m of each other. It was almost like Campbell was tagging Brown he was that close. Never seen it so dysfunctional.

time to mix things up Rhyce

Been following North for more than 40 years.
Never been so flat about us.
Almost unwatchtable over last month. The same mistakes over and over again such as the last minute goals. The inability to have a small pressure forward have an impact. Brown failing to compete in the air. Hall burning his teammates. Atley trailing his opponent to a contest. And then to pick Campbell.
I know we have injuries but all teams have injuries, and not once in last four games have I felt like we were a winning chance.
Where's the excitement?
Simpkin and Goldstein are about it, with the odd highlight from Zurhaar. Other than that why would you watch us. Tragics like us on here will but anyone else won't bother.
I remember a couple of years under Laidley where we just hung on game after game, hoping to snatch a win, and never genuinely looking a chance. This feels like that again.
Sadly we've largely been mired in mediocrity for 20 years and it continues.
If we are to bottom out, which is really what we need to rebuild the list, then we can't make mistakes like picking Campbell and playing Hall. I acknowledge that Shaw is playing several kids, something Scott always feared, but players like the two mentioned earlier must not take games off others any more.
I can't remember the last time we lost four on trot, and it's hard to see where next win comes from.
We need to play Adelaide, and it's hard to believe that's where we are at after the way we finished last year.
To cap it off my young fella is thinking of a switch to GWS.
Just a sh*t sandwich.

My old man went to lots of games through the '60s and early '70s when we were often shite. His mate that he went to games with was this lovely Irish fella. It would of been around 1968 and his young bloke, who was about 8, was thinking of jumping ship to either Carlton or * as his mates barracked for these teams and they were both doing well.

The conversation went as follows:

THE SON: (nervously) er, umm, Dad I've got something to tell you. I'm thinking of changing teams.

SILENCE

THE DAD: (in a quiet but serious tone) Well, that's fine son. But where are ye going to live?

SILENCE.

He told this story at his Dads funeral, there was a North scarf on the coffin. He stayed a North supporter and his kids are staunch North as well.

If we get a few players back in form and a few back from injury (Larkey, Daw, LDU) then some green shoots will definitely start to show.

He's got an ordinary team with a long injury list and some players in career worst form so he's got the cards well and truly stacked against him, but Rhyce has to step up.

For the last four weeks the ball movement has been awful, the game plan is either bad or not being followed and team selection bafflingly poor. All things Rhyce can control. Losing is one thing but doing it consistently and having a sameness about it each time is the frustrating bit. Feels like we're marking time until a difficult year is over.

He's a young coach with a mountain of problems but Rhyce needs to be better.
Yep. The injuries, lack of structure and form slump aren’t Rhyces fault but to continue with the same mundane gameplan every week full knowing we won’t win is ludicrous.
I have no doubt playing direct football would see us score more frequently as our forwards operate best in space.
Then go into lockdown for the last five minutes.

I can’t understand why we continue playing this restrictive style. Makes zero sense.

Come in peace.

Just want to acknowledge your stalwart in Goldstein. Deadset gun needs to be talked more in the same category as Grundy and Gawn.

Dont know what special awards NMFC has but needs to be recognised once he does finish up!
Thanks. Seemed like he was winning every clearance on his own. I can't think of a better ruckman in our clubs history, and I saw everyone from Dempsey onwards.

Not sure anyone noticed but this was the possession heatmap for both clubs at HT:

View attachment 910612

No surprises there, they got a a lot of drive and carry from the back line with our bomb and hope and run through the corridor from time to time to win the territory battle.

We are stagnant down the line with no contested marks. No drive at all from our back line. No lead up forwards and statues like Campbell and Brown. We would have to smash a team in clearances to have any hope of winning.

Insert Majak and Larkey and we would defend and transition better between the arcs.

Unlike Essendon our smaller backs are horrendous. JMAC is not only vanilla but invisible and the only time you notice him now is when his opponent kicks another goal. Williams, crickey what has happened to him? Atley - road runner in a scarecrow's body. Hayden - Jayson Daniels had better foot skills.

Look you would have to insert say Majak to intercept mark and get a defensive liability like Polec or Ahern to run around the back of him Ablett at the Gold Coast style to change the way the team is playing at the moment.

Our small defenders are woeful in every aspect of the game. All 4 might as well be deck chairs on the titanic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back