VFL Our VFL team - whats the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

A comment popped up in the match day thread that the club has ditched many of the the VFL folk and we will go back to the affiliate model for 2021. Anyone know if that is true and/or have more detail?

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A comment popped up in the match day thread that the club has ditched many of the the VFL folk and we will go back to the affiliate model for 2021. Anyone know if that is true and/or have more detail?
Hopefully not true but if is true that will be the end of our club.
What club do there merge with?
Who will be the coach?
Will they wear our colours?
Where will the games played at?
If this does this happen surely it must be the end of the VWFL and AWFL teams as well.
You think they would have learnt they lesson last time with Port Melbourne,North Ballarat and Werribee who’s agenda was there own success while the North Melbourne Football Club was made to suffer with development of our players going backwards.
Time to put a VFL/EAFL levy on the membership across the board and if doesn’t happen as a club we will go no where as atm we already have been surpassed by Gold Coast ,Fremantle,Carlton and the Red and Blue draft cheats and how long before the rest of the clubs pass us.
As atm we are in a position to finish the lowest position on the ladder in the history of this club.

There’s talk of neafl and vfl being scrapped and moving to an eastern afl reserves league

10 of the vic afl clubs plus the 4 clubs in Queensland and syd
I would suspect the AFL and clubs would be looking for every opportunity to cut costs at all levels. Sadly some things will suffer the cuts more than others.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I said in the other thread, the club should be open with the members if this is on the cards.

I would legitimately contribute significantly to any funding drive to keep the VFL side. In fact if we have to go into further debt to keep it, so be it.

We just finished a multi million dollar upgrade of Arden St so we can host VFL matches there.

Id rather lose the AFLW license before than the VFL side if we absolutely had to cut costs.

I would suspect the AFL and clubs would be looking for every opportunity to cut costs at all levels. Sadly some things will suffer the cuts more than others.
Yep I’m hoping by cutting vfl and neafl League costs, that the (eastern) afl reserves league can be started instead

Would love a north reserves team which is what we have now but this league makes it more official by calling it an AFL reserves league and only playing against other afl reserves teams (as opposed to shitkicker teams like coburg)

I said in the other thread, the club should be open with the members if this is on the cards.

I would legitimately contribute significantly to any funding drive to keep the VFL side. In fact if we have to go into further debt to keep it, so be it.

We just finished a multi million dollar upgrade of Arden St so we can host VFL matches there.

Id rather lose the AFLW license before than the VFL side if we absolutely had to cut costs.
Every and any thing is on the cards, right now.

The AFL are still sorting out what happens in the next few weeks in terms of matches. Yet, you think they have made a decision on the VFL for next season and simply aren't being open about it? Please.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Every and any thing is on the cards, right now.

The AFL are still sorting out what happens in the next few weeks in terms of matches. Yet, you think they have made a decision on the VFL for next season and simply aren't being open about it? Please.

Im not saying anything at all.

Im responding to a rumour posted last night that the entire VFL department, coaches and players were made redundant yesterday.

This has nothing to do with the AFL, we simply might deem ourselves unable to finance any stand alone scenario next year.

I'd rather lose neither cos the AFLW side will interest young girls like my daughters. They will be more likely to stay involved and pay as adults if we keep it.

But im with you on the fund raising and everything else.

Im not saying anything at all.

Im responding to a rumour posted last night that the entire VFL department, coaches and players were made redundant yesterday.

This has nothing to do with the AFL, we simply might deem ourselves unable to finance any stand alone scenario next year.
I think it does have something to do with the AFL. It is possible the VFL dies and then the AFL steps in and funds a reserves comp. It is possible the AFL props up the VFL. I would be surprised if any decision has been made on this, other than "nothing in 2020".

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The club be open with the future of the VFL side with the members - LOL
The BOYS CLUB with do what it dam well likes and won’t care what the membership thinks.
Yes we have a great facility at Arden Street which the members partly funded but the BOYS CLUB don’t care about the members.
As for the AWFL or VWFL Licence going instead of the VFL licence going that won’t happen either.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Night grand final down at SkyBus Stadium looks like a possibility in the near future...

20200726_123052_HDR.jpg

The new lights being installed currently. The local residents will be sporting glowing suntans when these babies light up the neighborhood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hotham

NMFC 1869
North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jan 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eels
Looks like you were right GoKangas. This news makes me sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back