Autopsy vs * - Rd 6, 2020

On my television, the commentators went ballistic over the Zurhaar decision. Overall though, the umpiring kept us in the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Like the way the umpiring kept us in their forward 50 when an * player reached out and knocked the ball as one of our players threw it to Jy to take a kick.

That should have been an automatic 50m penalty. He reached out and knocked the ball when it was being returned to our player for a free.

If it's not Brown or Goldy it seems the umps can't be bothered adjudicating decisions for us. That 50 and the physical abuse of Zurhaar was a classic example. Cos they don't pay the frees the opposition don't a top doing the illegal acts. We might get more frees paid than other sides but I reckon we get infringed more too. Prove me wrong umpire lovers.

Sticksphat

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2018
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Schroe
The conundrum is do we look at 2020 as being the year it is, a mess, and give players the benefit of the doubt?

Or do we say there are 17 other Clubs with 8 playing very well, and 1 being a Premier, so our List isn’t up to scratch so Trade/delist?

Difficult decisions coming up because on the strength of this Season we have some not up to it.

All the goodwill of the back half of last year has disappeared without a yelp

Schrodinger's trade season. Those on contract (with no trade value) are in fact still alive, others I think are dead even as we speak. Regardless of what we show from here on on I think there will be major changes at the end of the season just to address our curent weaknesses.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Geez it was laughable watching Campbell last night and how far off from it he is. Shocking selection. Playing a 20% fit Maj wouldve been better.

I couldn’t get my head around so many inside 50s going to Brown, Campbell and Zurhaar within 2m of each other. It was almost like Campbell was tagging Brown he was that close. Never seen it so dysfunctional.

time to mix things up Rhyce
The one time Brown made a hard spoil it was to punch the ball from the grip of Campbell. That was the only time it seemed that BBB saw the necessity to create an opportunity for forward line crumbers.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No argument from me. He did things that season that were incredible, but i think Goldy for his entire career wins out as a pure ruckman. Corey never won the most hit outs in a season, or hit outs to advantage. But at his best he was the equal of Carey in importance.
Mate, rich mans dom tyson on Curtis was worse! Appalling.. ALL of those clear as day decisions lead to * goals in the next play.. so even if we are s**t, and that we are.. * are just as s**t

The one time Brown made a hard spoil it was to punch the ball from the grip of Campbell. That was the only time it seemed that BBB saw the necessity to create an opportunity for forward line crumbers.
There was another time when he deliberately tried to palm it down to two guys we had front and center. But unfortunate it was the only time he got his timing right and he thumped it past them, straight through the middle of them to a * player. I just LOL’d.

We know what we get with BB. He won't mark in a contest but will bring the ball to ground and he works hard up and down the ground. However his bread and butter is lead, mark, goal. This where there is a major disconnect. The mids simply have to be drilled to kick it 15-20 metres in front of him so he can use his attributes instead of on top of his head EVERY time. This is a basic coaching and application issue that is a regrettable pattern.

You can say that, but the ball would have spilled and may not have resulted in a goal. Therefore no red time goal..

More to the point, all Atley had to do was use his much vaunted pace to get to the ball first. Any possession would have stopped the goal. But of course, as usual he hung back behind his opponent, waiting to react to what his opponent does, as he is the antithesis of the attacking half back.

Situation reversed, Saad or McKenna would have won the ball or, at very worst, killed the contest.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
More to the point, all Atley had to do was use his much vaunted pace to get to the ball first. Any possession would have stopped the goal. But of course, as usual he hung back behind his opponent, waiting to react to what his opponent does, as he is the antithesis of the attacking half back.

Situation reversed, Saad or McKenna would have won the ball or, at very worst, killed the contest.
Lol it wasnt an in the back free kick and shouldnt have been rewarded.. should have been play on.. how about that carol baskin bitch slapper pilchard, that wasnt a free kick, he stopped and tiny dick tippa waltz in to an open goal..

I understand the point you are trying to make. I agree with it but also see this side of the issue. Either I don’t understand the rules or this game has changed so much in 9 months I cant keep up

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Anyone know who the top 5 kids in this years draft going to be? Honestly, it's time to play the kids, experiment and work out who should and shouldn't be on the list going forward.

Does anyone have a list of the players out of contract at year end so we can start putting lines through names?
I've got Mason, Ben60, JMac, Durdin, Xerri, Turner, Murphy, Ahern, EVW, Jacobs, Garner, Will Walker, Jed, Majak, Marley, Curtis and Bailey; 17 in total. Have I missed anyone?

Lol it wasnt an in the back free kick and shouldnt have been rewarded.. should have been play on.. how about that carol baskin b*tch slapper pilchard, that wasnt a free kick, he stopped and tiny dick tippa waltz in to an open goal

I agree it was a poor decision from the umpire, but it was technically a light touch in the back.

But a decent half back with pace absolutely would not have been behind and exposed to the possibility of giving away such free.

Are you sure we don't have an issue with transition and delivery into the forward line?

Not really. I'm sure it's an issue but it's a (lol) synergy issue. The delivery is bad cos there is nothing up field to work into quickly. Well obviously that's opinion but there you go.

Our forward structure is pus. Every now and then it happens with us and everything looks horrible. WE don't move right on the forward line. Dunno if you remember but in 2016 when we were about 6 and 0 someone put up some video analysing ou forward movement. It was complex, constantly opened space and was mostly driven by W80. He had a great mobile forward IQ.

Larkey is very similar. He's smart and creative enough to open space for us.

It's Been obvious this year I reckons. Very little creative movement on the forward line.

The quarters being up to 10 minutes shorter if you include time on probably is huge too. Brown is still running while the ump calls time on so that counts as game time he can use to work over his opponents. Those four minutes of clock time are worth a lot more than four minutes for that alone (to us anyway), not to mention they are time spent with fatigued opponents. Which helps our forward line find space.

You can add to that that in the last two week we lost Thomas for the nearly whole game last week and a period last night and Taylor last night as well tho he eventually came back on.

No Ziebell, or even Wood, which means a line that was settled earlier is now having to learn how to play together again and (tho no one will want to hear it) no Kayne Turner.

So not only is our offensive forward set up crap, our defensive forward set up has Zurhaar as our most experienced small defender! And it shows when we struggle to defend in our half.

I hope we have the line coaches back cos honestly that is what stands out to me at the moment. It's almost a case of bring back Rivers. But especially the forward line. There is no movement, the structure is terrible and it's very inconsistent in terms of personnel being able settle into their roles or get a consistent run of games. Only Zurhaar and Brown have had a long uninterrupted run, Taylor did Tillman as the Ishtar ute he is brand new.

That should read "Taylor did till last week but he is brand new" btw.

(The auto correct has been doing that s**t all morning, I actually typed it out properly and the autocorrect changed it to that afterward. It's about the only worth smiling at right now.)

Anyway that is how unsettled our forward line is and on top of that all this virus related chaos is making it worse.

And that is where we have been falling down. It's not just that Brown is out of form and other teams play off him. Everything else is new and different and so there are no fall back positions for players to default to.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like the way the umpiring kept us in their forward 50 when an * player reached out and knocked the ball as one of our players threw it to Jy to take a kick.

That should have been an automatic 50m penalty. He reached out and knocked the ball when it was being returned to our player for a free.

If it's not Brown or Goldy it seems the umps can't be bothered adjudicating decisions for us. That 50 and the physical abuse of Zurhaar was a classic example. Cos they don't pay the frees the opposition don't a top doing the illegal acts. We might get more frees paid than other sides but I reckon we get infringed more too. Prove me wrong umpire lovers.
I actually thought last night was one of the better umpired games. They binned the stupid holding the ball rule and didn’t penalise players trying to win the ball.

For the most part they were not really noticeable. The Atley free at the end of the first was pretty soft, but what do you expect when he is that stupid to put his hand in the back of a player already going to ground.

If you want to complain about the umps complain about how many times Jy got away with throwing it.
Everyone gets away with throwing it in every game. It's a blight on the game at the moment but at least he is smart enough to have worked out that he can get away with it.

So it's one other thing the umps have ****ed up.

How about not paying that 50 tho? Keeps us locked in their half when we shouldn't be. There were at least two against Hawthorn that should have been paid too. These things change the game as much as you'd like to say the don't. Especially when the comp is so even as it has been for the last five years.

I actually thought last night was one of the better umpired games. They binned the stupid holding the ball rule and didn’t penalise players trying to win the ball.

For the most part they were not really noticeable. The Atley free at the end of the first was pretty soft, but what do you expect when he is that stupid to put his hand in the back of a player already going to ground.
There were a few blatent dives after that Atley free. One that made us crack up laughing. He looked like a swimmer on the blocks. Till it was paid.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Everyone gets away with throwing it in every game. It's a blight on the game at the moment but at least he is smart enough to have worked out that he can get away with it.

So it's one other thing the umps have f’ed up.

How about not paying that 50 tho? Keeps us locked in their half when we shouldn't be. There were at least two against Hawthorn that should have been paid too. These things change the game as much as you'd like to say the don't. Especially when the comp is so even as it has been for the last five years.

yes. Umpires have too much influence in the result of a game. More so in the shorter quarters as a couple of goals due to bad decisions are hard to make up.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Realistically tho if he hadn't have brought in Polec and Pittard we'd have lost pick 10 when the Crows nominated Tarryn. The only difference would have been that we didn't get Polec and Pittard, who like it or not, improved our list.

Tyson is a bit of a surprise but Hall was worth grabbing. Worth sfa at the time and plenty of upside. Even after yesterday his issues with skill and decision making are upstairs right now. We shouldn't be relying on him.

I see those recruits (Hall and Tyson) as opportunistic. Tyson only played when the inside mid cupboard was bare. Not topping up just taking an opportunity.

Same with Campbell. He assumed he'd be playing VFL and aiding our development in the VFL when he signed his extension didn't he? That is hardly topping up the senior team.

The only youth we haven't played yet are Crocker, Murphy and Bonar and only one hasn't had a game.

Our issue is our forward line. That is it.

All good points, Ferbs, and I don’t necessarily disagree with any of it. My point is that it’s a bit rich from a coach to bring those blokes in then 6 months later claim we need a rebuild.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There were a few blatent dives after that Atley free. One that made us crack up laughing. He looked like a swimmer on the blocks. Till it was paid.
I reckon four were paid against Atley alone. All as soft as each other. The divers are still being rewarded. Zara of whatever his name is... definitely is one.

Apart from the 50 you already mentioned, there was another occasion where a * player had the ball in hand when (I think it was Taz got a free). He went to throw the ball back, but then grounded the ball between his feet and entered into a bit of pushy-pushy while our bloke went to pick it up. I wouldn’t pay 50 for it myself, except exactly the same was paid against Taz a couple of weeks back.

I get it that umps don’t always see what is shown on the telly, but surely at the elite level, the AFL could make use of technology to see that the most clear-cut infringements are officiated correctly?

Oh - on the Zurhaar headlock and sling - I can recall Richo referring to it. Actually, he was probably more critical of umpiring than most of the other sycophants on C7 generally are, and he is positive in his comments on Cam in general. I think I was just losing it at the time and I had a mental blank.

Sticksphat

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2018
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've got Mason, Ben60, JMac, Durdin, Xerri, Turner, Murphy, Ahern, EVW, Jacobs, Garner, Will Walker, Jed, Majak, Marley, Curtis and Bailey; 17 in total. Have I missed anyone?

I've got easily six from that list that I think should go ( Balsa, JMac, Durdin, Ahern, Jacobs, Garner) six that should be re-signed (Ben, Xerri, Will Walker, Jed, Curtis and Bailey) and the rest (?) - trade to upgrade or persist with at this point.

Back