Autopsy vs * - Rd 6, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies if this has been raised earlier. Does Shaw have a mentor? He is essentially a first year coach with a weak list and significant injuries.
He would benefit from some support to weather this period.

Apologies if this has been raised earlier. Does Shaw have a mentor? He is essentially a first year coach with a weak list and significant injuries.
If he does he might want to look a new one?

His last two weeks have been shocking. First the bad call on Cunners and then deciding to give an immobile Ruckman a run down forward in slippery conditions against a team that likes to springboard from defence.

Lot of people saying if we had player XYZ is the team then things would be better.
I say BULL$H!T.
Its the fundamentals that lacking right now.
Bring the ball to ground in the forward line if unable to mark.
Don't let the ball out the back of the pack in the backline.
Don't give opposition players space at stoppages in the backline.
Look then kick the ball into the forward try and kick to the forwards advantage.
Forward pressure to stop the ball coming out of our forward line with ease.
Basic foot skills, hit the target.
Work rate, Work rate,Work rate,watching Atley run around chasing at half pace is galling.
A lot of these can be addressed quick and make the team better, just changing personal with the current levels of basics will not.

BigRed

Interesting to note in the four games, the opposition has had a premiership coach at the helm, same again this weekend. Hopefully Shaw has learnt from this, in particular what those coaches demand from their players to adhere to a game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the basis that if you have more than one top 20 player in the AFL you are doing very well I think we could definitely have three or four top 40 players in that group. Here is how I view them:

Simpkin - emerging superstar of the game. If he is not already top 20 he is kicking the door down. Could be a legitimate top 10 player by 2022.
Thomas - elite skills, great decision maker with ball in hand, abundant X-factor. Could be anything. How high he goes will depend on his ability to stay involved in games. TT getting 20 touches in a game will be hugely influential. Definitely potential top 20.
LDU - I think we have seen enough from LDU to know he has the attributes of an elite midfielder and that if he can go through a similar process to Jy where body, tank, and confidence all come together then by 2022 we could be talking about him in the same way we are now talking about Jy. Definite A grade potential if not top 20 AFL player.
Taylor - has great attributes and seems to be working really hard on his game given the improvement we have seen over the past twelve months. I would back him to become an elite high half-forward who pushes into the mid-field by 2022 when he has 40 odd games under his belt.
Zurhaar - another with X-factor and a genuine hard edge. Probably never going to be a top 20 player in the AFL but one we love in our team. If all he did was reduce the amount of time he goes missing in games by 30% to 50% that would be a great outcome.
Scott - I can see him becoming a really solid contributor on the wing for us in a couple of years. Like most young players he is struggling to have big numbers and therefore impact at the moment, but looks composed and skillful when he does get the opportunity. Could be at least a B+ type of AFL player.
Larkey - hugely important for us structurally and can become extremely valuable in his position as a key forward. I think we are already missing him a lot this year.
Hayden - again he is a player I could see becoming a really solid part of our best 22. Not top 20 in the AFL potential but a really solid B to B+ AFL player.

Comben, Mahoney, And Flynn - way too early to tell on these guys but they all look to have some elite qualities.
Very wishful thinking, but that's what footy is all about. Hope.

I watched the game with no sound on last night.....couldn’t listen to JB fellate another side all night again. Take a long hard look at yourself JB, you are undoing all the good work you did and sound like a *ing flog.
on another note, I never realy noticed Hibberd last night for *, but just saw he had 19 p’s.
Was he actually any good?

Anyone seen the mini controversy of LMac putting his hands over his face in an exchange with Conner in the melee?

Got shown on Sunday FS and it was a topic of conversation on ABC a few minutes ago
View attachment 910872
Fair dinkum - if the AFL do anything about this but not take action for the sling tackle on Zurhaar, of the diving of other players like Zaharakis who cheat for goals then they are truly ****ed.

De
This has made me realise how well Brad Scott did with what he had. Seriously, I don’t think we had a top 8 list in any of the seasons he was at the helm, but we made two prelims in that time. Kudos to him for that.
Decent shout. Shall we start up the bring back Brad thread? He's only working at the AFL, surely he could be coaxed out of retirement. What's Cam Joyce up to? Maybe we could get the band back together?

Play the kids every match and get a good draft pick. No point playing certain players and finishing respectably but out of finals. Would be an absolute waste of a season in every way possible

Play the kids every match and get a good draft pick. No point playing certain players and finishing respectably but out of finals. Would be an absolute waste of a season in every way possible

Not to pick on you specifically, as plenty of others have been saying it, but this "play the kids" mantra and draft pick fixation is far too shallow. Giving younger players exposure to football at AFL level is a valuable step in their development, but its worth depends largely on learning to play a useful role in a sound structure and system, not on just building up a games tally; likewise, picks are worth very little in the abstract.

No doubt there are plenty of other players on our list whose age profile and relative contribution doesn't really merit their being selected over a younger alternative with greater potential; with our list where it's at, giving our 'kids' some experience is a sensible move. But I don't think it's worth much if we continue to play a game style that's so utterly flat and stagnant, or show so little energy and effort for four weeks running. Might be controversial when we're all so thoroughly sick of mid-table mediocrity, but I'd much sooner finish 9th again with an approach that suggested we were moving in the right direction mid- to long-term, rather than finish bottom four doing what we're doing now but just with a slightly younger side.

Realistically tho if he hadn't have brought in Polec and Pittard we'd have lost pick 10 when the Crows nominated Tarryn. The only difference would have been that we didn't get Polec and Pittard, who like it or not, improved our list.

I had mentioned after the Gaff F/A thing fell through then we should have pulled out of the Polec trade, Saints were still interested in him. Geelong wanted a top 10 pick for Kelly and they had 2 late first round picks, we could have traded it to West Coast and then on-traded those two first round picks for two second round picks. Given what Melbourne was offering Preuss in terms of contract, we should have asked for a second, even if wasn't a great second pick. What they were paying him justified a second and Tyson should have been considered an equivalent value, the player just wasn't a good match for us so it was a bad trade to make.

It would have given us enough currency to pay for Thomas and Scott (who i was expecting to go higher than he did), and still have 4 second round picks or so. Considering we got Scott at 49 and Taylor at 46, both in the third round, we could have had a look at a fair few more good quality kids as that draft was super strong.

Tyson is a bit of a surprise but Hall was worth grabbing. Worth sfa at the time and plenty of upside. Even after yesterday his issues with skill and decision making are upstairs right now. We shouldn't be relying on him.

Was bad trading for Tyson simply because he was a bad fit for our midfield AND Dees had already offered Preuss a ludicrous contract so we had the over a barrel to pay what we asked, he was contracted. There is a reason our club gave almost everyone involved in recruitment the arse after that year.

Hall was fine as he cost nothing but unless he had a Higgins-like turnaround after he was taken as a free agent then he should make way for a kid who is showing something, like a Scott or Taylor.

I see those recruits (Hall and Tyson) as opportunistic. Tyson only played when the inside mid cupboard was bare. Not topping up just taking an opportunity.

Hall I agree, Tyson no. He isn't a pure inside midfielder, he can't replace Cunnington, at best he was a depth player for a Dumont who doesn't really excel at any facet of the game and you don't need that kind of depth unless you are contending and you need to be making the top 8 to think you are contending. Our coach thought we should rebuild and we didn't make the top 8, not sure how that justified our strategy we went with during the trade period.

Same with Campbell. He assumed he'd be playing VFL and aiding our development in the VFL when he signed his extension didn't he? That is hardly topping up the senior team.

He didn't cost anything either and he was a short-term option while we still had Goldstein and we thought highly of Xerri.

The only youth we haven't played yet are Crocker, Murphy and Bonar and only one hasn't had a game.

Our issue is our forward line. That is it.

Well, we haven't been picking the team based on form, that is our major problem. Some kids get a good look despite form, others get dumped at the drop of a hat. If you bring in a kid you should really be expecting them to play a 4-6 week block unless they get hurt, it is going to take them time to adjust to the pace each time you bring them in.

Our major issue is the lack of consistency and lack of on-field leadership, there is a lot going wrong on-field and there doesn't seem to be any leadership from the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Well, we haven't been picking the team based on form, that is our major problem. Some kids get a good look despite form, others get dumped at the drop of a hat. If you bring in a kid you should really be expecting them to play a 4-6 week block unless they get hurt, it is going to take them time to adjust to the pace each time you bring them in.

Our major issue is the lack of consistency and lack of on-field leadership, there is a lot going wrong on-field and there doesn't seem to be any leadership from the outside looking in.
Just higlighting the areas that somebody from the club needs to read.

Anyone seen the mini controversy of LMac putting his hands over his face in an exchange with Conner in the melee?

Got shown on Sunday FS and it was a topic of conversation on ABC a few minutes ago
View attachment 910872

Apparently Floggard didn't like it.

He'd know about it given that he is a very special kind of 'wit'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back