Review AFL R6 v Melbourne @Giants Stadium 6:05pm Saturday 11th July

Remove this Banner Ad

LeverPuller I saw on the Melbourne board you mentioned you were able to attend the game last night.
Seems like Suns fans didn't have the opportunity. Can you shed any light? Did you access tickets through your club?
Got a funny feeling games in NSW are still limited to 350 odd people - probably just corporates and fat cats

They have a great ruckman and a lot of ball winning mids so not really surprised they did well there.

All the talk this week was the struggle the Demons have had actually scoring. And that struggle continued against us. For me, those handful of un-pressured D50 turnovers was the biggest difference.

We gave them about 5 good opportunities to score goals directly from our unforced errors. If we tidy most of those up we are a big chance to win. The good thing is that, as Dewy said in the presser, those are in our control. We can reduce those, and if we do we can win games like these.

It would help if we got the ball inside 50 more often. Only 28 last week and 35 this week. The forward line is dangerous but needs more opportunities. The midfield without Buzz is solid, but we need Weller and Swallow to have more impact around the contest. Not sure Touk and Hugh can do much more than they are now.

Ando looks like he needs a spell.
Yeah spot on - signature of our game in the first few rounds was pressure inside our fwd 50 til we get a goal - works well when we have good centre clearance Numbers, doesn’t work well when it’s stuck in our back 50

Need to fill the clearance hole that Rowell has left and fiorini ain’t the guy for that.... think Brodie would have been straight in if it wasn’t for the border issues

LeverPuller I saw on the Melbourne board you mentioned you were able to attend the game last night.
Seems like Suns fans didn't have the opportunity. Can you shed any light? Did you access tickets through your club?
Was an email direct to Melbourne members in the week. To get it you had to be a NSW/ACT interstate member. You then had to enter a ballot using your membership barcode. It was only open to members in NSW/ACT - one of the other people there tried to use a SA interstate membership for his wife but it wouldn’t let him.

And for what it’s worth there were some Suns supporters there - maybe a dozen? Had their own separate area.

There would have been maybe 200 Melbourne supporters there tops in two separate sections. Plus a third area for Suns supporters that was much smaller.

Also worth noting that at least for MFC no one paid for tickets - it was your membership plus luck.

If they do it again this week for Hawthorn I will try and ring the club to get a second ticket but I don’t like my odds.

Was an email direct to Melbourne members in the week. To get it you had to be a NSW/ACT interstate member. You then had to enter a ballot using your membership barcode. It was only open to members in NSW/ACT - one of the other people there tried to use a SA interstate membership for his wife but it wouldn’t let him.

And for what it’s worth there were some Suns supporters there - maybe a dozen? Had their own separate area.

There would have been maybe 200 Melbourne supporters there tops in two separate sections. Plus a third area for Suns supporters that was much smaller.

Also worth noting that at least for MFC no one paid for tickets - it was your membership plus luck.

Good to hear we had some fans there. I wonder how they were allocated.

Good to hear we had some fans there. I wonder how they were allocated.
No idea but it was their own corporate section - everyone was in the corporate areas. They were one section down from the main MFC section on the middle tier.

If they do it again this week for Hawthorn I will try and ring the club to get a second ticket but I don’t like my odds.
Thanks for the info.
supernova_ seems like there may be a way to watch next weeks match.

Disappointed yes, frustrated absolutely, disillusioned no.
Honestly believe we have a list of players if we can keep together will one day take us to the top of the tree.
How long that takes is anyone guess.
Observations from yesterdays game.
NEGATIVES
1 Turnovers killed us in the end; unfortunately young teams this does happen.
2 A number of senior players really struggling for form .Witts Sexton Hanley etc
3 Am surprised we are not prepared to give Macpherson and Ainsworth at least some time in the mid field.
Last year both had time there with some success.
4 Macpherson needs to be in the play he is not a permanent forward type.
5 Really disappointed in our two big men Witts and Day three marks for the game nowhere near good enough.
Not providing good enough targets down the line.
POSITIVES
1 Our ability to stay in the contest right to the end despite some shortcomings was admirable.
2 Collins and Ballard outstanding in defence.
3 Izak Rankin . Been following AFL/VFL for the best part of 60 years that is the most exciting debut that I have ever witnessed.
We should be so lucky that we will have the opportunity to witness him live for at least the next decade.
4 Texts from friends saying how lucky we are to have Matt Rowell Ben King Noah Anderson and Izak Rankin in the same team.

The hardest/easiest job for the Suns administration will be to keep this list together to guarantee long term success.
Have a good week all and stay safe.

Need to fill the clearance hole that Rowell has left and fiorini ain’t the guy for that.... think Brodie would have been straight in if it wasn’t for the border issues
Just on Fiorini, he only had 1 inside start last night - the lowest (when he's playing midfield vs. HBF) since Rd 16, 2017. Rd 23 2017 was also the last time he predominantly played as a wing at AFL level - everything since has been almost solely inside or a 50/50, 60/40 split between wing and inside.

Just on Fiorini, he only had 1 inside start last night - the lowest (when he's playing midfield vs. HBF) since Rd 16, 2017. Rd 23 2017 was also the last time he predominantly played as a wing at AFL level - everything since has been almost solely inside or a 50/50, 60/40 split between wing and inside.
Strange - wonder why they didn’t throw him inside?

Strange - wonder why they didn’t throw him inside?
I thought they got the team balance a bit wrong last night
MacPherson Sexton Ainsworth and Rankine are essentially the same player and I don't think you need more than 2 goal sneaks in a team
That means Ainsworth and DMac should be spending more time on-ball or upfield, bu the stats don't suggest that They also seem to point to Fiorini being a direct replacement for Powell on the wing
All a bit strange

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is fast - he needs to try and get more action leading up to the ball.
See how many shots at goal King gets from marking on the lead. No reason Sexton can't do this as well.
He isn't a great lead up fwd imo, he's an excellent crumber and snap, and is electric streaming into an open goal but I don't expect him to be a lead up fwd. But one of thing he is really good at, he's not been given that opportunity, and now with rankine in the team, I dont think he will get as many opportunities as he did last year, to get those over the top goals

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

He isn't a great lead up fwd imo, he's an excellent crumber and snap, and is electric streaming into an open goal but I don't expect him to be a lead up fwd. But one of thing he is really good at, he's not been given that opportunity, and now with rankine in the team, I dont think he will get as many opportunities as he did last year, to get those over the top goals

Yeah agree,
But I don't see why he couldn't develop a lead up aspect. Has decent hands, is fast - just hasn't played that way so far. Losing. the opportunity for the over the top goals, he needs to develop other ways to be involved.

I thought they got the team balance a bit wrong last night
MacPherson Sexton Ainsworth and Rankine are essentially the same player and I don't think you need more than 2 goal sneaks in a team
That means Ainsworth and DMac should be spending more time on-ball or upfield, bu the stats don't suggest that They also seem to point to Fiorini being a direct replacement for Powell on the wing
All a bit strange
MacPherson isn't. Despite him looking like one, DMac isn't really a natural forward. The reason he's there is because he's applying forward pressure, which he's been doing (it's one of the main reaons the team has become one of the best forward pressure sides in the comp this year). I don't think he's playing bad; he's just been made to play a role that doesn't really suit him. Sexton and Ainsworth however, I was actually thinking during the game that coaches should throw one of them into the midfield or the wing. Sexton has played as a tagger before, and although I don't he's done it in a proper AFL game, I remember once during a pre-season game he played inside mid and was BOG, as the opponents couldn't keep up with his speed bursting out stoppages, and I think the coaches should try it again at least once. Ainsworth played stints in the middle last year, but for some reason he hardly leaves the forward 50 this year.

He isn't a lead-up forward in the traditional sense, but he actually does take a few marks inside 50 by using his speed to very quickly seperate from his opponent at the last moment. He did a couple of times in the pre-season match when he kicked 6. Honestly, I wouldn't surprised at all if he hasn't fully recovered from his injury, and isn't really able to fully accelerate as much, cause I haven't really seen him use his speed that much this year. And even if he is 100%, he's probably still adjusting to the new forward set-up, so I'm sure the goals will come back eventually. One positive for him this year though is that he's lifted his forward pressure considerably.

He leads sideways to the fat side, or running back into the 50 to take marks and use his pace, but he does generally run at the guy kicking the football. I think he could do with a bit more time rotating on the week, or at least push way back into defence and then start streaming towards goal. I dunno, he's class, our fwd 6 just needs to get some continuity, work out what dmac is going to do and introduce Flanders at some point
He isn't a lead-up forward in the traditional sense, but he actually does take a few marks inside 50 by using his speed to very quickly seperate from his opponent at the last moment. He did a couple of times in the pre-season match when he kicked 6. Honestly, I wouldn't surprised at all if he hasn't fully recovered from his injury, and isn't really able to fully accelerate as much, cause I haven't really seen him use his speed that much this year. And even if he is 100%, he's probably still adjusting to the new forward set-up, so I'm sure the goals will come back eventually. One positive for him this year though is that he's lifted his forward pressure considerably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back