The rest of the season - What do you want to see?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I started a thread last year after Brad got fired asking who we would trade out to improve draft position. Many of you derided the thread and also the premise that North needed to bottom out. Surely you now see that it’s the mediocre list that is the problem not the coach. But in typical north fashion not only did we not improve our draft position, we hindered it with the possibility of maybe, possibly doing better in 2020. So clearly 2020 is rock bottom, a bottom we have avoided tooth and nail for ever. Well it’s here now and I hope it’s embraced as the list is massively lacking for young star power in important positions (sure we look ok in slow flankers) and overly reliant on old players (possibly the worst position a list can be in).

So......... what do you want to see for the rest of the year?

1: finish with a draft pick capable of getting the best mid in the draft. Pure mid, not part time mid. Our midfield is so utterly pedestrian and bland it’s frightening. Sure Goldy, cunners and Higgins make it average when they are up and about. But that in itself is scary. The mid field needs years of work and talent injections.

2: see if we have anyone other than Simpkin on our list at present that can be apart of the midfield in 3 years time. Obviously LDU will be played in there when he’s fit, but I’d also like Bonar, Ahern, Thomas, Zuhar given lots of minutes for the rest of the year. Taylor on a wing maybe.

3: I dont want to see half fit senior players stinking up the place. I want ziebell, Brown, and any others ready for day one of pre season, not taking pre Xmas off because they have had surgery in October.

4: play Goldy forward more, and play xerri for the rest of the year. Maybe get creative in other areas too. Play cunners forward more so Center square chances open up for others.

5: Hall, jmac, atley, Williams aren’t part of the future, so they should be played at a minimum.

6: no trades, no free agents. Invest in the draft, invest in development.

Everything we do for the rest of the year has to be focused on making us better in 3 years time. No quick fixes, no false dawns. Sure there is no guarantee with bottoming out, but FFS, the last 15 years have shown there is no guarantee with finishing mid table either.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I started a thread last year after Brad got fired asking who we would trade out to improve draft position. Many of you derided the thread and also the premise that North needed to bottom out. Surely you now see that it’s the mediocre list that is the problem not the coach. But in typical north fashion not only did we not improve our draft position, we hindered it with the possibility of maybe, possibly doing better in 2020. So clearly 2020 is rock bottom, a bottom we have avoided tooth and nail for ever. Well it’s here now and I hope it’s embraced as the list is massively lacking for young star power in important positions (sure we look ok in slow flankers) and overly reliant on old players (possibly the worst position a list can be in).

1: finish with a draft pick capable of getting the best mid in the draft. Pure mid, not part time mid. Our midfield is so utterly pedestrian and bland it’s frightening. Sure Goldy, cunners and Higgins make it average when they are up and about. But that in itself is scary. The mid field needs years of work and talent injections.

2: see if we have anyone other than Simpkin on our list at present that can be apart of the midfield in 3 years time. Obviously LDU will be played in there when he’s fit, but I’d also like Bonar, Ahern, Thomas, Zuhar given lots of minutes for the rest of the year. Taylor on a wing maybe.

3: I dont want to see half fit senior players stinking up the place. I want ziebell, Brown, and any others ready for day one of pre season, not taking pre Xmas off because they have had surgery in October.

4: play Goldy forward more, and play xerri for the rest of the year. Maybe get creative in other areas too. Play cunners forward more so Center square chances open up for others.

5: Hall, jmac, atley, Williams aren’t part of the future, so they should be played at a minimum.

Everything we do for the rest of the year has to be focused on making us better in 3 years time. No quick fixes, no false dawns. Sure there is no guarantee with bottoming out, but FFS, the last 15 years have shown there is no guarantee with finishing mid table either.

Get as much games into LDU, Scott, Hayden, Mahoney, Taylor, Thomas, Larkey & Walker as possible.(depending on fitness).

Leave Boner in the 2’s till he gets numbers.

Get a look at McKay, Murphy & Durdin because a call needs to be made.

It’s too early to tank but it’s not far off. Only problem is the draft is so compromised because of this bloody virus. Of all years to have 2 first round picks ffs! Bat eating *s 🤬

Yep.

Our two firsts can seriously set us up so long as we nail them.

Ok with this but let's not get lost in the experimentation.

It needs to be thought out and staged.

Yep, if they need surgery they finish early. No exceptions.
Goldy is having about his best year ever. While I understand the desire here I am not as sold on moving him out. It is one of only two shining lights this year. If he's consistently played forward I'd only be watching games for Jy's continued improvement.
I think he's a pretty good shake for AA this year. Moving him forward denies him that.
I'd take a look at Williams.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
I'd include jmac and Josh walker as shining lights.

If we can get the midfield fit (Cunners) and support for BBB (Larkey), then we aren't far off.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1) Clear direction on game plan: Need to introduce a less predictable plan that gives our forwards a chance. The defend defend defend and maybe attack will not win a flag. Emphasis on contested ball and contest is great, but when you rely on just that you’re in trouble.

2) Kids first: Get multiple games into all our 19-23 year olds. Not 1 game, drop, 1 game drop, we need to see if they’re worth persisting with. I’d like to get 5-10 games into Scott, Hayden, Bonar, Murphy, W Walker, Mahoney, LDU, Ahern.

3) Find a solution to HBF ball use: If we don’t have one on the list currently (Higgins, TT, Murphy, Ahern) then we need to address it as a priority (behind only midfielders) in the draft.

4) Stop rewarding mediocrity for short term benefit: Jmac, Atley, Williams, Pittard, Campbell, Hall, Tyson. Do I need to say anymore?

5) Draft: Get some talented users FFS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Good post Dude.

If mid to senior players stink it up for 3 weeks out of 4 then I would like see them dropped - no more guaranteed games to the ol' boys network.

Also getting consecutive games into the youngsters. It's inconceivable that 5 years in we still dont have a definitive read on BMac.

I want to see a starting midfield of Goldie, TT, LDU, Jy given plenty of time to gell.

But do I want to really want to see - North beat Caaarrrrllton by 10 goals!

I would like u

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Hayden - Tarrant - Walker
HB: Perez - Daw - McDonald
C: Polec - Davies-Uniake - Scott
HF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Taylor
F: Thomas - Brown - Cunnington
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - Higgins
I/C: Comben Anderson Walker EVW.

I want to see that side be prepared for round 1 2021.

Don’t mind it. Though it’s early calls on Comben & Perez. We’ve barely seen them. We’ve got two first round picks this year so if we trade them or nail one (or even both 🤭)in the draft they’ll be in the mix too.

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
-Probably a good idea for the rest of the season to ‘play the kids’. 2 top 5 picks would be a decent get. If someone offers a good deal for an ‘in form’ Brown then seriously think about it as well. We desperately need speed, class and skill. Too many plodding types on our list. Too many comfortable players just collecting a pay cheque.

What would truly s**t me is if we made a late run to the finals, just miss out and end up with pick 12 and if the D’s do a similar thing as well. We need top end quality not good honest types.
Honestly I’m just happy to watch footy on weekends at the moment for distractions sake. Winning and losing isn’t meaning too much for me at the moment.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
run and carry, meaning get the youngsters in their best position and let them play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back