2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

. "I welcome it. It's the best city in the world", we should have a few second-rate events. That's no problem."

Low class motormouth V'Landys speaking about the prospect of the AFL GF at ANZ Stadium just cant help himself.
Personally I would prefer Perth Stadium if its not at the MCG!

. "I welcome it. It's the best city in the world", we should have a few second-rate events. That's no problem."

Low class motormouth V'Landys speaking about the prospect of the AFL GF at ANZ Stadium just cant help himself.

I would say a second rate event is one that has a:
Smaller attendance
Smaller tv audience
Struggles to sellout the game each year

But that's just me.

who cares what he thinks. he dreamt up a trashy horse race and then sold NRL's family farm to boost his own ego. AFL honchos aren't perfect, but this bloke is an obvious Sydney spiv: ignore.

Last edited:
2K short of another million last night...

Probably score blowing out past 5 goals before 3QT cost it

Smashed the NRL again

Metricon capping/expecting 4-5k for essendon vs north and carlton vs bulldogs, the other games played there this weekend will not be open to the public. Also at the Gabba the west coast v Crows game will be closed and the Richmond vs Sydney game will have some public tickets available, unsure on attendance cap. I think the AFL are really missing an opportunity here to turn this into a football festival. There is absolutely no promotion.

Metricon capping/expecting 4-5k for essendon vs north and carlton vs bulldogs, the other games played there this weekend will not be open to the public. Also at the Gabba the west coast v Crows game will be closed and the Richmond vs Sydney game will have some public tickets available, unsure on attendance cap. I think the AFL are really missing an opportunity here to turn this into a football festival. There is absolutely no promotion.
i do hope they stop with the double headers at metricon - as you say they are not selling the full (available) capacity tickets (6000 pax) for the two day games this weekend as they cannot clean the stadium in time for the two night games. so hopefully they in future do the 3 or 4 games over 3 or 4 days.

we always wanted friday night footy on the gold coast hopefully we get some!

i do hope they stop with the double headers at metricon - as you say they are not selling the full (available) capacity tickets (6000 pax) for the two day games this weekend as they cannot clean the stadium in time for the two night games. so hopefully they in future do the 3 or 4 games over 3 or 4 days.

we always wanted friday night footy on the gold coast hopefully we get some!

I'm really not sure what the go is with crowd sizes, the government has stated 50% is now allowed in, but i was at a sellout Gabba on the weekend and it was only 10kish. Im guessing there is alot of hurdles to go through to get approval etc

2K short of another million last night...

Probably score blowing out past 5 goals before 3QT cost it

Smashed the NRL again

And beat the NRL on Fox by 13,000 216.000 to 203,000 on "TV Tonight" figures!

Killed the NRL pre and post game as well.AFL pre match comes in at #17 for the night

The NRL Match is not even in the top 20 FTA metro figures!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thumping.

Under 1 million again though. I reckon more than 5 goal lead for most of the second half knocks a fair chunk of the average
I think you are right We haven't had very many close matches this season.

Still CH 7 overall beat CH 9 33.5% to 25.3% on the night. Seven would be very happy with that.

I got tickets to both sat night and sun night Metricon games 👍
Seemed like a good atmosphere there last night. Great to see the passion from fans actually in the stadium. Sounded like they didn’t actually need artificial TV crowd noise. How was it out there at Metricon? Anyone know what the official attendance was?

Seemed like a good atmosphere there last night. Great to see the passion from fans actually in the stadium. Sounded like they didn’t actually need artificial TV crowd noise. How was it out there at Metricon? Anyone know what the official attendance was?
I havent seen attendance but if it was 5500 it would have been 4000 Ess and 1000 NM and 500 neutral.
it wasn’t the most awe inspiring game but atmosphere was good. Small crowds can be good if noisy and up and about.
tonight with carlton and bulldogs should again be about same one sided this time carltonS way. I think they again are after about 5500 or so.

They obviously don't mean a lot due to restrictions, very limited ticket availability and the fact that no teams played in their home state, but here are the crowd figures from this week:

Thurs - Geelong vs Brisbane - SCG - 1,311
Fri - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Showground - 1,772
Sat - Fremantle vs St Kilda - Metricon - 638
Sat - West Coast vs Adelaide - Gabba - 210
Sat - Essendon vs North - Metricon - 4,271
Sun - Port vs GWS - Metricon - 368
Sun - Richmond vs Sydney - Gabba - 3,606
Sun - Carlton vs WB - Metricon - 2,178

I couldn't find any figures for GC vs Melbourne but there was a very small crowd there too.

They obviously don't mean a lot due to restrictions, very limited ticket availability and the fact that no teams played in their home state, but here are the crowd figures from this week:

Thurs - Geelong vs Brisbane - SCG - 1,311
Fri - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Showground - 1,772
Sat - Fremantle vs St Kilda - Metricon - 638
Sat - West Coast vs Adelaide - Gabba - 210
Sat - Essendon vs North - Metricon - 4,271
Sun - Port vs GWS - Metricon - 368
Sun - Richmond vs Sydney - Gabba - 3,606
Sun - Carlton vs WB - Metricon - 2,178

I couldn't find any figures for GC vs Melbourne but there was a very small crowd there too.

I just dont understand how all the QLD games sold out yet they only let that many in. Its really disappointing. I went to the port v gws and the carlton v dogs game and both had people begging for tickets outside the gate. The hunger is there for footy in qld.

I just dont understand how all the QLD games sold out yet they only let that many in. Its really disappointing. I went to the port v gws and the carlton v dogs game and both had people begging for tickets outside the gate. The hunger is there for footy in qld.
For whatever reason, they sold less tickets for the Blues /Bulldogs game as opposed to the Bombers / Roos game. There were about 13-14 bays behind the goals not opened for the game last night that were being used on Saturday night. I don’t know if that was due to less demand or simply a decision to sell a lot less tickets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back