Preview Round 7 – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday 18th July 2020, Giants Stadium, 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
What a disappointing afternoon against Port.

And I’m starting to hate these milestone matches. Toby’s 150th, Heater becoming the most capped player for the Shaw family…whatever the occasion, making a fuss about milestones seems to become millstones hanging around the neck of the players. They’re distractions we don’t need.

How about we just focus solely on playing contested footy, and leave it at that? Make a fuss of the milestones AFTER they’ve occurred, not before. Make it club policy moving forward.

Rant over.

Look at the faces of Leon, Davis and Ash, who all fronted up for post-match interviews. I think Leon summed it up perfectly, when he said “We didn’t want it, they did”. Says it all, really, but why does it keep happening? I’m questioning why our motivation is so inconsistent. Technically, the problem is our lack of penetration into the forward line; our efficiency is good when we get there, but when you’re getting done in the hit-outs, clearances, centre clearances, and stoppages, it becomes much harder for the forwards to make the most of whatever supply they get.

Moving on to next week, Saturday against the Lions will probably be match of the round, although with both teams coming off losses, the build-up will a bit subdued. Brisbane were being written up as premiership fancies before this round, only to fade really badly against Geelong at the SCG. They won’t have forgotten it was us who sent them out in straight sets last season, so the motivation will be there for them. We handled it well against Collingwood a couple of weeks ago, so there's no reason we can’t handle it again.

But I think it’s time to kick a few backsides. Jye Caldwell is said to be “AFL ready” after another consistent performance in the scratch-match yesterday, so how about we bring him back to the seniors? Jackson Hately can have more practice in the 2020 version of the seconds. As for the ruck, I don’t know, I thought Jacobs would have had more of an idea against Port; Mummy spent a lot of time man-handling Lycett for little return. We need our best big man against Brisbane. Mummy, Jacobs, Flynn, Briggs...it will probably be Mummy again.

We will probably lift for this game, so I hope I’m successful in the ballot. Who knows with this virus, if the second wave hits Sydney, it could be the last live game we see this season.

Come on, Giants. Lift your game.

There's so many blokes who could be axed given their "on one week, pissweak the next" form (eg Josh Kelly) but you just can't keep throwing the kids in.

DeBoer should really be on thin ice as he offers nothing through the midfield if he's not applying a hard tag. However Neale looms so he will escape the noose.

At least Mumford can now be "rested" given they lost. The side looked so much better when Jacobs played in Rd 1.

There's so many blokes who could be axed given their "on one week, pissweak the next" form (eg Josh Kelly) but you just can't keep throwing the kids in.

DeBoer should really be on thin ice as he offers nothing through the midfield if he's not applying a hard tag. However Neale looms so he will escape the noose.

At least Mumford can now be "rested" given they lost. The side looked so much better when Jacobs played in Rd 1.

“Can’t keep throwing kids in”? With respect we haven’t yet.

I say give it a shot.

if DeBoer isn’t tagging neale he shouldn’t be selected. He doesn’t offer enough as a pure midfielder
It likely won't happen but a great option would be to replace DeBoer with Taranto and put Coniglio into DeBoer's old role as a lockdown player (which I think would suit him well).

Cogs incessant fumbling and rushed shanked kicks out of stoppages are making him a real centre square liability at present.

And really need at least one of Toby or Caldwell in that centre square at present to add some much needed burst out of stoppages.

Agree with some thoughts there. Our whole midfield has underperformed this year - individually and as a group. Apart from probably one game, de Boer has not tagged sufficiently to warrant his spot, and his pure midfield output is below an acceptable level. I'd have no hesitation in bringing TT back in for him (provided the medical opinion warrants it). Also agree that Cogs moving to a run with role on Neale might help get him back in form.

Lloyd may well come up for the game as it seemed a fairly minor head knock, but equally I'd be happy for Bobby Hill or another mid such as Caldwell to come in and add some zip whether he's OK or not. Solid contributor is Dan, but at this point I think we need some spark.

I'd probably agree with Mummy swapping out for Sauce. He's had a few games, but the ruck setup for Brisbane is such that Sauce I think would be OK.

I wouldn't really agree on changing the 3 tall set up - I just don't think that Leon will because he likes it, and we tend to use all 3 roaming down the field, so removing one of them negates that tactic.

I don't think taking out Hately will do anything much - he's pretty solid with fairly safe approach in his play, albeit he's being used entirely as an outside mid.

I think Tom Green has continued to be great for a first year. A number of times on the weekend he dodged Port tacklers, got his arms free and passed the ball out to someone in a better position - who then (with more time and space) proceeded to turn it over to Port. Frustrating to the maximum!

Last edited:
I think Tom Green has continued to be great for a first year. A number of times on the weekend he dodged Port tacklers, got his arms free and passed the ball out to someone in a better position - who then (with more time and space) proceeded to turn it over to Port. Frustrating to the maximum!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed.

What’s Ian Hill’s progress? Any chance he plays again this year?
Hope so. I think he's a bit of a victim to us wanting to try out Tom Green, Ash, Hately & Caldwell. While not in direct positional opposition, i think we don't want too many youngsters all at once, so we have gone with the more experienced options as Dan Lloyd and Zac Langdon. But i hope Bobby gets a chance soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have to get in Caldwell, from all reports has been a standout in the scratch matches when he hasn't been in the 1's and his burst+attack around stoppages is something we really need, even just for something different. I'd look at resting Green or even Ward to get him in (call me crazy)

Lloyd needs to be dropped, even without the knock he's been disappointing this year, maybe a Xavier O'Halloran comes in as someone thats equally versatile but idk.

Stormy has been pretty average this year imo, I think Langdon or Hill coming in for him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at the moment

Not enough has been made of our turnover coming out. Shaw and Corr between really gave away a lot of ball, many of which resulted in scores. We often go back to Shaw given historically he has been a terrific user, but over the last 3 years he has started to make more and more errors coming out. I think structurally others might need to go forward once they have possession rather than looking for Shaw to get it going. It gives defence an extra kick to get set up behind the ball, and Shaw isn't has good as hitting that difficult kick as he used to be.
Also Im not sure why Corr is taking so many of the kick in's, if Perryman or Whitfield or Williams is in the back 6, they should be taking alot more of th ekick ins, all much better kicks with much better vision than Corr.
As for changes, I'd rest Mumford, bring in TT and Caldwell for Lloyd and either of De Boar or Hately. Green is going well but may need a break as well.

We've all got opinions, here's mine. We got used to playing without Cal Ward last year, and this year the mid-field hasn't gelled with him back in so far. Ward, Hopper, Coniglio, and De Boer all down. (De Boer has 1 trick)
We all thought we'd solved the eternal ruck problem by recruiting Jacobs, but it turns out the problem is still there.
& the 3 tall forwards are just right on the days they can get clear space, and all wrong when the footy comes ricocheting out on the bad days.
Leon will persevere with his preferred format, and we'll do the same as last year, apply ourselves at Finals time, but probably start from a fair ways back.
I too think we need Hill's zip and dash.
& can Cogs and Binga wear longer stops to reduce the slipping please?

Can everyone wear longer sprigs. I lost count of the number of slips and tumbles we took at exactly the wrong time. Didn't see too many Port players do it.

With Ward out, I'm guessing TT straight back in for him if he gets medical clearance. That is probably going to stop too many other changes to provide a backup in case he's not quite game ready. But I'd still like to see Caldwell get a run somewhere, and/or Bobby. Two may be too much, but at least one of them please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back