Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And none of those players you mentioned went at Pick 1.....from the vision of Thilthorpe he is extremely agile and much like M.King.
Where the players went in the draft is sort of irrelevant. I'm just mentioning Pick 1 as we will have the choice of anyone in the draft (with the exception of FS / academy etc). I'm just listing the types of dynamic players I'd prefer to pick up.

His endurance is very good, I think he relies on that and his great smarts and skill to standout. I question his other athletic traits and not having tested at the start of the year hasn’t helped me get a proper gauge haha

Personally think he will end up a Drew Petrie type, very capable ruck/forward with above average smarts and skills for a big man. Would be nice to bank in a potential 300 gamer too
Yep Petrie is probably a good comparison with what I see. And looking back on Petrie's career, I wouldn't want him with pick 1. Endurance is a big tick tough.

His endurance is very good, I think he relies on that and his great smarts and skill to standout. I question his other athletic traits and not having tested at the start of the year hasn’t helped me get a proper gauge haha

Personally think he will end up a Drew Petrie type, very capable ruck/forward with above average smarts and skills for a big man. Would be nice to bank in a potential 300 gamer too
I would think the SANFL's Zac Millbank has seen enough up close to pass a reasonably good analysis?

By ZAC MILBANK
He’s been labelled as one of the most exciting prospects in Australia and when you watch Riley Thilthorpe play, it’s easy to understand why.

West Adelaide coach Gavin Colville plans on using the 199cm teenager at League level again after the 17-year-old impressed in his six Statewide Super League games last year.
A member of SA’s AFL Academy Hub, Thilthorpe boasts incredible athleticism and mobility for someone of his size while being able to play in the ruck and deep inside the 50m arc.
No wonder he is the front-runner to be the first Torrens University Draft Target selected from SA in this year’s AFL Draft.
“Riley has already played well at league level and is a unique tall in that he is just as good at ground level as he is in the air,” Torrens University SA U18 coach Tony Bamford said.
“He’s your modern, AFL-style ruckman who can rack up 25 possessions.’’
The Goodwood Saints product grew up playing Ice Hockey and dreaming of a lengthy Cricket career before settling on Australian Football as his chosen sport.
And by watching the clips below, it’s easy to see why given he slots an amazing checkside goal from a set shot while also displaying his ability to mark on the lead while playing against stronger opponents in League company.

“Riley has already played well at league level and is a unique tall in that he is just as good at ground level as he is in the air.''

Torrens University SA U18 coach Tony Bamford

Yeah, that doesn't always help.

I mean, there are times a player needs a position adjustment. Milera would be a good example, who looks much more suited to a more traditional outside midfield position and not half-forward. There are times it doesn't work, i.e. Gallucci.

It does seem there has been a disconnect between our recruiter and the rest of the side in the last couple of years, though it looks like it is starting to correct with Nicks. Just needs to move Jones towards more midfield time.
Milera needs to get his head in the game,
Doesn't do anywhere near enough.
5 year deal time to bring it.

I would think the SANFL's Zac Millbank has seen enough up close to pass a reasonably good analysis?

By ZAC MILBANK
He’s been labelled as one of the most exciting prospects in Australia and when you watch Riley Thilthorpe play, it’s easy to understand why.

West Adelaide coach Gavin Colville plans on using the 199cm teenager at League level again after the 17-year-old impressed in his six Statewide Super League games last year.
A member of SA’s AFL Academy Hub, Thilthorpe boasts incredible athleticism and mobility for someone of his size while being able to play in the ruck and deep inside the 50m arc.
No wonder he is the front-runner to be the first Torrens University Draft Target selected from SA in this year’s AFL Draft.
“Riley has already played well at league level and is a unique tall in that he is just as good at ground level as he is in the air,” Torrens University SA U18 coach Tony Bamford said.
“He’s your modern, AFL-style ruckman who can rack up 25 possessions.’’
The Goodwood Saints product grew up playing Ice Hockey and dreaming of a lengthy Cricket career before settling on Australian Football as his chosen sport.
And by watching the clips below, it’s easy to see why given he slots an amazing checkside goal from a set shot while also displaying his ability to mark on the lead while playing against stronger opponents in League company.
Watching him live might help but from the countless footage I’ve seen of him I don’t think he is as mobile as the most mobile key forwards in the game currently. I’m not as concerned about the speed and agility as such but the leap is one I’m the most concerned with.

Yeah mate I’ve watched him so hard that I might be being too critical to an extent, he is a top 10 talent anyway but I just can’t bring myself to have him as a guarantee top 5 talent.

Doesnt matter what I’d pay for him... it matters what the other clubs that potentially want him are willing to pay for him...

And none of them think like us supporters.

Sure, I dont think brad is playing his best at the moment but IMO he’s definately not playing as bad as a few around here are claiming.

He’s still been one of our best players this season so far and other potential suitors wouldnt be paying too much attention to his current form given the unusual season its been and the fact that the side hes currently playing in is the bottom dweller.

They know his potential.

Seriously... would love to buy a car off some of the crew in here... you’d turn up to check it out and they’d point out everything wrong with it and tell you to just give them whatever you can for it!...
So you admit he's lukewarm poo but that doesn't matter because professional football club recruiters won't be able to see that... got it.

Milera needs to get his head in the game,
Doesn't do anywhere near enough.
5 year deal time to bring it.

I disagree, he lowkey had a pretty alright season last considering. 18.5 disp/5 marks/3 tackles/270 m gained is a fine stat line for an outside player who got no consistency in which position he was playing, and as an outside player in a side that imploded.

Had a bit of a poor start to the season, though the second game is excusable as it's likely he was carrying a stress fracture (and in the "before you realise the stress fracture, is indeed, a stress fracture" period).

He might not hit the heights he looked like he could have 1-2 seasons back, but he's easily doing enough to find himself as a valuable mid tier player in a contender. Just needs to get healthy and get put in one position for a year or so. Though, where he gets put is looking less clear now than a year ago, as much as we'll find a spot for him. Probably wing if anywhere.

This season is a write off though. Won't get back until round 13-14 and is going to need some time to get match fit. Will probably just be a case of give him the last month and that's about it.

Watching him live might help but from the countless footage I’ve seen of him I don’t think he is as mobile as the most mobile key forwards in the game currently. I’m not as concerned about the speed and agility as such but the leap is one I’m the most concerned with.

Yeah mate I’ve watched him so hard that I might be being too critical to an extent, he is a top 10 talent anyway but I just can’t bring myself to have him as a guarantee top 5 talent.
All great info mate - appreciate it. I might go back and watch the SANFL game from the weekend as well to see how he played.

All great info mate - appreciate it. I might go back and watch the SANFL game from the weekend as well to see how he played.
The weekends game was his best so far this year, best I’ve seen his marking game at League level which was promising. Think you will get a sense of his smarts and skill in that game aswell.

His set shot routine is also 👌

So you admit he's lukewarm poo but that doesn't matter because professional football club recruiters won't be able to see that... got it.
No. Your making stuff up again. You have a wild imagination don’t you..

I said I think that whilst he isn’t playing his best he isnt playing as bad as some in here are claiming.. and there are extenuating circumstances surrounding this year for Brad that potential suitors will take into account because they know his potential.

I disagree, he lowkey had a pretty alright season last considering. 18.5 disp/5 marks/3 tackles/270 m gained is a fine stat line for an outside player who got no consistency in which position he was playing, and as an outside player in a side that imploded.

Had a bit of a poor start to the season, though the second game is excusable as it's likely he was carrying a stress fracture (and in the "before you realise the stress fracture, is indeed, a stress fracture" period).

He might not hit the heights he looked like he could have 1-2 seasons back, but he's easily doing enough to find himself as a valuable mid tier player in a contender. Just needs to get healthy and get put in one position for a year or so.
I'm looking for him to be getting his own ball and using his skills.
Need him hitting the ball at pace and being prepared for a contest.
Too often he's getting the ball flat footed and avoids contact at all costs. ( there's only so many times you get away with dancing around blokes on a footy field)
Yeah he's "tracking" nicely but the modern game now has kids playing elite footy inside 40 games!
Our players seem to coast along like they are given some sort of time to fit it, those days are gone or we sit bottom for the next 5 years.
First round pick.
Many preseasons to prepare.
5 year deal.
Perform!

He might not hit the heights he looked like he could have 1-2 seasons back, but he's easily doing enough to find himself as a valuable mid tier player in a contender. Just needs to get healthy and get put in one position for a year or so. Though, where he gets put is looking less clear now than a year ago, as much as we'll find a spot for him. Probably wing if anywhere.

This season is a write off though. Won't get back until round 13-14 and is going to need some time to get match fit. Will probably just be a case of give him the last month and that's about it.
Don’t you think that’s a disappointing result though from a pick 9 or 10 (can’t recall)?

Right now he’s tracking as a solid medium defender. So 2015 we lose one of the best mids in the league and replace him with 2 medium defenders. That’s a bad result.

Milera has shown signs of being an A grade midfielder and that’s where we need him to be aspiring to. It turns 2015 into a good draft. We all love Tom.

The missing links in our line up are Milera and Gallucci who should just about be ready to lead that midfield.

Gallucci looks a bust - WMJ just has to be better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t you think that’s a disappointing result though from a pick 9 or 10 (can’t recall)?

Right now he’s tracking as a solid medium defender. So 2015 we lose one of the best mids in the league and replace him with 2 medium defenders. That’s a bad result.

Milera has shown signs of being an A grade midfielder and that’s where we need him to be aspiring to. It turns 2015 into a good draft. We all love Tom.

The missing links in our line up are Milera and Gallucci who should just about be ready to lead that midfield.

Gallucci looks a bust - WMJ just has to be better.

Pick 11.

Disappointing, but forgivable is where I'd classify Milera's 2019. Disappointing as he was set to kick on from what was a pretty strong 2018 but as said, the forgivable is really the external circumstances around it. An outside player in a side who has imploded, is being used as a stop-gap with coaches desperately trying to save their jobs (continuously rotating him from forward and defence) and an unfortunately timed shoulder injury right in the middle of the season really isn't conditions for good performance, or kicking on. More set up to fail.

It will definitely be one of the main questions hovering over 2021 though as by the time he comes back (and looking on to next season), we really shouldn't need another half back flanker with Hamill coming on, Smith probably being one of the senior players we hold on to, McPherson looking like a lively prospect and Sholl should really find his way into the side (or, alt. draft picks seeing half back is a great starting position for anyone with outside skills). We're probably at the point we'll need to push him to a wing regardless.

A real shame he'll lose most of this season (if not, all of it) to injury.

In terms of results, it's a best 22 player from a 10-20 pick (especially in one of the weaker, non compromised drafts in recent memory), so it's probably around par at this point of time. One of him or Doedee really does need to be pushed to a more important role in the near future though.

Wait two years. Then throw the kitchen sink at him.

While there is a better chance of Mackay being a part of our next premiership team, I still think and hope the Club continues to push hard for Rankine.

Circumstances, life, everything changes from year to year. We may be in a position to at least make him an offer that he considers.

Exactly won't happen, this talk of pick 2 is pure fantasy/play station stuff, we're not the Suns.
Why not?

Brad Crouch will get $700k from someone. Why wouldn't they - you acquire him and give up nothing, and there'd be five or six clubs that would want him.

The worst team in the competition will be losing their best player, who would have won their last two B&Fs.

And the AFL doesn't want one of their top six to eight clubs mired at the bottom of the ladder for too long - they'll potentially lose this entire state. Port are an absolute minnow when it comes to corporate support.

There's a bunch of reasons why they would want to do that.

You're dreaming mate, as well as Rowell and Anderson they have David Swallow, Touk Miller, Jack Bowes, Will Powell, Hugh Greenwood, Will Brodie, and just grabbed Brandon Ellis last year, Brayden Fiorini, Anthony Miles all midfield.
In waiting they have Sam Flanders, Jeremy Sharp, Sam Fletcher, Mitch Riordan and this year's Academy and NT prospects.

They have midfielders running out of every orifice.....they'll be more likely looking to move some on not add to their midfield.
I know we want to s**t on our players, but Brad Crouch would be third or fourth picked out of that lot.

Pick 11.

Disappointing, but forgivable is where I'd classify Milera's 2019. Disappointing as he was set to kick on from what was a pretty strong 2018 but as said, the forgivable is really the external circumstances around it. An outside player in a side who has imploded, is being used as a stop-gap with coaches desperately trying to save their jobs (continuously rotating him from forward and defence) and an unfortunately timed shoulder injury right in the middle of the season really isn't conditions for good performance, or kicking on. More set up to fail.

It will definitely be one of the main questions hovering over 2021 though as by the time he comes back (and looking on to next season), we really shouldn't need another half back flanker with Hamill coming on, Smith probably being one of the senior players we hold on to, McPherson looking like a lively prospect and Sholl should really find his way into the side (or, alt. draft picks seeing half back is a great starting position for anyone with outside skills). We're probably at the point we'll need to push him to a wing regardless.

A real shame he'll lose most of this season (if not, all of it) to injury.

In terms of results, it's a best 22 player from a 10-20 pick (especially in one of the weaker, non compromised drafts in recent memory), so it's probably around par at this point of time. One of him or Doedee really does need to be pushed to a more important role in the near future though.
His work in traffic has, at times, looked elite. Quintessential hybrid midfielder who could be anything.

Let’s hope he can find that level, or alternatively would also like Tom to move up the field a bit.

I can't agree with this.

Getting band one compo for Brad is a real possibility, are we a 50/50 chance? Somewhere around that mark, but definitely not fantasy/playstation type talk.

It's either going to be that or end of first round. Second round compo is coming in third place for mine.
Bicks gets a boner everytime he gets to post the word "PlayStation". I have no idea why, he's almost as bad as Vader.

His work in traffic has, at times, looked elite. Quintessential hybrid midfielder who could be anything.

Let’s hope he can find that level, or alternatively would also like Tom to move up the field a bit.

My fingers are crossed for it, seeing he really could be anything if he gets time to settle in the midfield and clicks.

He's still young enough that there is time, though he probably does want to make that step up soon.

I would also like Tom to move up the field as well, regardless of what we do with Milera. He's ready for more responsibility in this lineup.

We can't keep going to the well in the next year's draft.
Agreed.

More clubs will be comfortable trading away this year's picks, because lists will be tightening and there's so much uncertainty.

We'll certainly be back in the draft next year, but we need to capitalise on this year and start the drastic refresh.

Unfortunately, may lose it with a potential F/S or NGA match

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's where I think we need to be proactive with trading it before the night, or at least have had discussions with teams ready to go if Edwards is bid on by then.

However, if he keeps playing juniors for the rest of the season, we might be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back