Players who should have been persevered with

Remove this Banner Ad

Holman - his exit was premature given the number of games he played and his performances in those he did play in.
Robbo - Malthouse had his sights on him but no-one stepped up for him
Tuohy - Absolute head scratcher this on. Plowman would not be getting a game if Zac was still here.

Tuohy - Absolute head scratcher this on. Plowman would not be getting a game if Zac was still here.

Loved Zach but a headscratcher it was not. SOS deemed him to be the only viable tradebait that season.

He got what he wanted for him to pay the price of the trade that was to be made that season (Marchbank).

I hope Marchy gets back and becomes the player we hoped he'd be.

I liked Joe Anderson at the time

Delisted before his 22nd birthday. Marcus Davies was delisted at 22. Stephen Browne delisted at 21. Aaron Joseph 73 games and delisted at 24. Ratten roundly bagged for keeping these players around too long though, except for Browne probably.

The thing is our development was crap but all of these guys showed something at various times and they were still learning. Here we have David Cuningham in his 5th season, starting to show something here and there.

Our mindset during the rebuild has changed and also having 2 extra sides in the comp, means that the depth of players isn't there, and players like the above have a place.

I would have liked to have seen what these guys could have done with decent development and a patient coaching mentality. Everyone under Malthouse was on the chopping block. Bad timing.

Holman - his exit was premature given the number of games he played and his performances in those he did play in.
Not sure that Plowman (defensive, taller mainly plays on 3rd talls but can also play on Martin, Cameron, R. Gray types) and Zac Toohey (offensive, potential goalkicker, not suited by one on ones) are very similar at all. Toohey would maybe have played SPS's role on Sunday night not on Bailey Dale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same... Pickett for me as well, maybe the final injury was just the final straw for him... Lightning quick super talented, bloody shame...

Haven’t been able to bring myself to change my avatar yet... his legs moved so fast his body couldn’t keep up at times! Strong overhead, strong body .. that Hawks game was, I thought, the coming of Pickett ... could have been special. I would love it if his interest reignited with Eddie and Jack now at the club! He’s only 24 next month and comes across as a really good dude too.

Last edited:
Benjamin has done OK for himself, he ended up a year or two below me in law school - with what I presume to be substantially less HECS debt.

Mine is adding up and right now I’m having conflicting feelings whether to continue .. too many grads for job opportunities and another 20-25k in debt, to see it through..

...and Pickett.

Funny how you remember ‘moments’ about certain players.. someone mentioned Joe Anderson - will always remember him dropping in front of a charging J Brown to take a mark at the Gabba (think it was a pivotal moment too)

Nuh...

Holman allegedly had issues fitting in from where the club wanted to go, after cleaning out players because of 'culture' issues. His type is also relatively easy to find and I'm not sure he would be getting many games now anyway. Wish him all the best but it clearly wasn't his form or development that saw him punted rather quickly into his career after playing a couple of games and looking good IMO.

Robbo was a bit of a dickhead and a poor influence on our young playing group. He was complicit in lying to the club to try and cover up poor behavior after previous indiscretions and his deficiencies as a player made him expendable under the culture change. He has no doubt improved in Brisbane but we made the right call. Love Robbo personally!

Tuohy was one of the few players we had with trade value, in a position we actually had depth at despite our poor list demographics. Absolutely the right call and what we did with the Geelong pick received has helped us set our list up moving forward. We don't miss him and think it was a win-win for both clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back