Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Haven't seen any other posts as I'm watching now but I had the first two for Max and the last three for Volk.

Aldo was doing well til he gassed and Rose got the slit she deserved.
I thought the 3rd was close and I had it to Also but said during the fight it could easily have been Volks

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The biggest shots landed on Masvidal were those two accidental head clashes.

Burns Edwards I like, could just give Burns the shot straight up but feel Usman will want a big break.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
My issue with stuff like this; is you rarely ever see people with actual experience talk too much about sig. strike counts.. not all significant strikes are equally significant.
Guilty as charged. Only about 20 years as a fan and a little grappling sorry mate.

This was posted just for a different perspective.

People so quick to call a robbery where the fight had 2 very close rounds. This isnt pride rules so the disparity in the first 2 don't matter unless they're 10-8s. I had Max winning but as I said live there was definitely a case to be mounted for Volko.

My issue is with the scoring system not how the judge's scored the fight in this instance.

Last edited:
I'm reading a lot about Volkanovski's takedowns and how they shouldn't matter because of how ineffective they were, but then also how the knockdowns (where Alex barely even stumbled) should have swung the fight Max's way. Holloway fans have spat the dummy haha

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Volkanovski 'robbery' has taken the spotlight off the actual robbery of the night - EZDS losing to Salikhov...
Volkanovski was clear rounds 4 and 5, Max 1 & 2 with 3 close (I gave it to Max). It wasn't a robbery, it was a close fight. Big difference

Interesting re Aldo. It took just over 3 mins (in round 5) of GnP, 110 unanswered strikes and the ref yelling 'fight back' 11 times to actually stop the fight. Woefully late stoppage

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Volkanovski was clear rounds 4 and 5, Max 1 & 2 with 3 close (I gave it to Max). It wasn't a robbery, it was a close fight. Big difference
Spot on IMO.

We've seen bigger robberies to be fair.. And as fans - we know that to be the champ you've gotta beat the champ. 50/50 rounds have always been awarded to the reigning champ.

Holloway and fans aren't wrong, but neither are the Volk fans - it was a damn close fight.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Guilty as charged. Only about 20 years as a fan and a little grappling sorry mate.

This was posted just for a different perspective.

People so quick to call a robbery where the fight had 2 very close rounds. This isnt pride rules so the disparity in the first 2 don't matter unless they're 10-8s. I had Max winning but as I said live there was definitely a case to be mounted for Volko.

My issue is with the scoring system not how the judge's scored the fight in this instance.

sup luke thomas

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'm reading a lot about Volkanovski's takedowns and how they shouldn't matter because of how ineffective they were, but then also how the knockdowns (where Alex barely even stumbled) should have swung the fight Max's way. Holloway fans have spat the dummy haha
It's a bloody shame because no one is paying credit to Volk. Winning a belt after being a clear 2 rounds down is a monumental effort. The grit and determination he showed was amazing.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a bloody shame because no one is paying credit to Volk. Winning a belt after being a clear 2 rounds down is a monumental effort. The grit and determination he showed was amazing.
Volk v Korean Zombie here later in the year would be interesting. Think Volk wins but good fight

Volk needs a few finishes as champ to really ram home how good he is. Beating Aldo then Max 2x, the consensus top 2 145ers ever, is nothing to scoff at

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
145 is a murderers row.

I love Volkanovski, but I think his days as champ might be numbered.

1594702658244.png

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
145 is a murderers row.

I love Volkanovski, but I think his days as champ might be numbered.

View attachment 912154
Zabit, Zombie and Kattar the ones to worry about there. Think he smashes Ortega standing and the rest offer little he can't handle
Think he beats Zabit and Zombie (not super confident but would pick him to win) but Kattar would be a tough fight. Wresting background and great boxing...

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So assuming KZ v Ortega does go ahead - and Zabit v Yair happens

Which winner gets the next shot?

Some really interesting scenarios for the 145 division.
I'd say it probably depends on how those matchups play out. the more dominant wins would be considered for the next shot you'd think - but I think any of those 4 if they have a spectacular finish could take the next title shot.

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hate to say it, but I personally believe Zabit & Kattar would beat him.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

And.. I reeeally don't want to watch a Volk vs Holloway trilogy fight.
My only question on Zabit is his gas tank. Yet to be proved over 5 rounds.

Korean Zombie would be the toughest test I think. He seems to have the craziest knockout power in the division. And Alex has shown a propensity for getting hit and knocked down previously (Mendes fight, 2nd Holloway fight).

Yair, Ortega, Kattar, I think he would take care of. Not sure they're truly in the 'elite' bracket.

Back