FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The Killing first season started the whole 'Scandi noir' thing. A very good TV series indeed. I never bothered with any of the American re-makes myself. When you've watched all the originals, what's the point?

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. But bloody hell, another 19 hours to go, and that's just the first season!

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. But bloody hell, another 19 hours to go, and that's just the first season!
Finished season 1 last night, terrific series.

20 episodes on the one murder is unprecedented really, but I never got bored or felt it dragged. Quality show. Keen for season 2!

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I think in that first season the acting (and the script, of course) was just so wonderful. it was like watching a documentary. The grief of the mother, I was crying with her, and I'm welling up now just thinking about it. It seemed a big leap in TV drama.

This might be a bit of a stretch, but it's from the UK and involves cops, so...

QUIZ

It's a real breezy watch at 3x 50 min episodes based on a true story of cheating to win a million bucks on 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire'. It has a great cast with Matthew Macfadyen (Succession), Sian Clifford (Fleabag), Michael Sheen (Masters of Sex) & Mark Bonnar (Guilt). Actually, it kinda has the same tone as 'Guilt' in that you find yourself giggling at it a lot, despite it mostly being played straight.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
This might be a bit of a stretch, but it's from the UK and involves cops, so...

QUIZ

It's a real breezy watch at 3x 50 min episodes based on a true story of cheating to win a million bucks on 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire'. It has a great cast with Matthew Macfadyen (Succession), Sian Clifford (Fleabag), Michael Sheen (Masters of Sex) & Mark Bonnar (Guilt). Actually, it kinda has the same tone as 'Guilt' in that you find yourself giggling at it a lot, despite it mostly being played straight.

Yep, watched the first episode and am waiting to watch 2&3 back to back. Really enjoyable watch, very easy and still highly entertaining.

I remember when all that when all that happened and my main question was what kind of idiot calls their kid Tecwen?

Haha... The Welsh... Have you seen some of their town names containing 20 odd letters!?

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I watched the end of season five last night and if you pause one of the last scenes when Steve is sitting at his kitchen table, you can see a jar of Vegemite on the side in his kitchen. I paused it to double check, I'm sure someone more able than I could screen shot it.

Haha.

I watched it a couple of weeks a go and had to rewind to double check that as well.

Started dark heart last night seems ok... But not at the level of other UK gems.
I watched the first ep and nothing more. I might go back to it though, just wasn’t in the mood at the time.

Finally got around to 'Dark Heart'. It wasn't awful, but it's oh so messy. I can't really recommend it with all the other good stuff around these days. The 2 lead detectives are fine enough and a couple of the supporting characters are also ok, but the writing for what are basically 3 separate 90 minute movies was disappointingly sub-par. It's hard to believe that this came from Chris Lang, who also makes 'Unforgotten'. As for the (real life) time lapse between episodes 2 and 3, it's just very jarring to see (especially the younger) characters clearly & significantly age. Even though the writers clearly left enough plot threads for the series to continue, I doubt that it does.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Finished season 1 last night, terrific series.

20 episodes on the one murder is unprecedented really, but I never got bored or felt it dragged. Quality show. Keen for season 2!

Just finished it. Loved the main two characters. But 20 hours was waaaaayyyy too long for one season. All that political crap that proved to be mostly irrelevant. After all that time invested the murderer's motives were not very explored.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Just finished it. Loved the main two characters. But 20 hours was waaaaayyyy too long for one season. All that political crap that proved to be mostly irrelevant. After all that time invested the murderer's motives were not very explored.
I totally agree. It was a slight letdown in that regard. But the whole series was so well done that even thought I was semi disappointed I didn’t mind too much.

'Guilt' has been renewed for a 2nd season!

I'm pleasantly surprised as this type of show usually just stops with the 1 season. It will be interesting to see where they take the story.

Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions
'Guilt' has been renewed for a 2nd season!

I'm pleasantly surprised as this type of show usually just stops with the 1 season. It will be interesting to see where they take the story.

I reckon it will be Max giving up half the British Establishment. He has a ton of dirt on a few people.

Kind of like that Maxwell woman in the US. What's the bet she gets topped?

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
She's obviously got a "in the event of sudden death, the following info will be made public..." thing going on. Obviously she is banking that she knows where enough bodies are buried to keep herself safe.

I'm only 8 years behind, but I just finished up 'Inside Men'. Really liked it. Not much of a mystery or anything, but thought the 3 lead actors were all great. Definitely recommended to anyone who missed it.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I totally agree. It was a slight letdown in that regard. But the whole series was so well done that even thought I was semi disappointed I didn’t mind too much.

I watched season 2. Good stuff with Lund as usual. 10 episodes was much better and the politics was actually connected to the murders. It still had the problem where the murderer's motives were not clear.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Started a dutch show Van de Valk set in Amsterdam it's in English.
It's on ABC i veiw.

First ep was ok.

I finished the three shows. It was slightly disappointing. It was a bit lightweight compared to shows like Wallander and River. The plots got a bit convoluted. I thought Marc Warren was miscast - it needed someone with more gravitas. You got the usual diversity quotients - a lesbian sidekick, a nerdy black guy, a female boss. I'm used to that but it gets a bit silly when a 55 kg woman holds her own in a fight with an 80 kg man.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Back