Changes for round 7 vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I hear something about Bailey Williams training/playing? Was it on the news, Simmo trying out a tall forward option..or did I dream it? (he had a shaved head/#2) like Oscar.
Also I genuinely thought Hutchings was 'resigned' end of 2019... he's still on the list as injured?
This Covid period must be messing with my head?

Did I hear something about Bailey Williams training/playing? Was it on the news, Simmo trying out a tall forward option..or did I dream it? (he had a shaved head/#2) like Oscar.
Also I genuinely thought Hutchings was 'resigned' end of 2019... he's still on the list as injured?
This Covid period must be messing with my head?
Someone would have to be coming out for Williams to get a crack you would think.

If Sean Darcy doesn't get up, is it a chance we park Nic for a rest before the condensed fixtures begin? It would be the perfect opportunity to bring Williams in if he can shoulder primary ruck duties.

At some stage within the next month I can see guys like Nic and JK getting a rest. It'll come down to when can we give them that rest without compromising the team too much. We need Nic against Pies, not so much Cats but that's the TK cup and I want to win it at all costs so putting our best side out there is important.

Freo have no key backs, is this a good week for JK to have a spell..? Thinking a little outside the box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sean Darcy doesn't get up, is it a chance we park Nic for a rest before the condensed fixtures begin? It would be the perfect opportunity to bring Williams in if he can shoulder primary ruck duties.

At some stage within the next month I can see guys like Nic and JK getting a rest. It'll come down to when can we give them that rest without compromising the team too much. We need Nic against Pies, not so much Cats but that's the TK cup and I want to win it at all costs so putting our best side out there is important.

Freo have no key backs, is this a good week for JK to have a spell..? Thinking a little outside the box.

I think the forwards need to play and get continuity.

In terms of Nic, I think he should be ok. We are finally starting to unwrap him from the cotton wool we have had him in the last 5 years. His TOG is increasing and he looks in pretty good nick.

New concussion protocol is players need to pass a cognitive test 5 days before the game in order to be available for selection.

Reports are Darcy had his cog test and passed and will line up for Freo this weekend.

I think the forwards need to play and get continuity.

In terms of Nic, I think he should be ok. We are finally starting to unwrap him from the cotton wool we have had him in the last 5 years. His TOG is increasing and he looks in pretty good nick.

New concussion protocol is players need to pass a cognitive test 5 days before the game in order to be available for selection.

Reports are Darcy had his cog test and passed and will line up for Freo this weekend.

If JK needs a week I'd be happy to put Allen in his role and Williams in Allen's role.

JK should be fit, he had the preseason to end all preseasons, but he's having difficulty with consistency. He might not need a break yet, but the following two games are critical against top sides, so I look at it from the perspective of maybe he gets a rest now when we can afford to play without him.

JD plays better when he's out so who knows, it could have a flow on effect.

It's good to hear that Darcy has bounced back from that hit, but I'd be a bit uncomfortable as a Freo fan having him play again straight away. If they know where they're at this year they shouldn't really put him out there as the risk seems a bit great.

If JK needs a week I'd be happy to put Allen in his role and Williams in Allen's role.

JK should be fit, he had the preseason to end all preseasons, but he's having difficulty with consistency. He might not need a break yet, but the following two games are critical against top sides, so I look at it from the perspective of maybe he gets a rest now when we can afford to play without him.

JD plays better when he's out so who knows, it could have a flow on effect.

It's good to hear that Darcy has bounced back from that hit, but I'd be a bit uncomfortable as a Freo fan having him play again straight away. If they know where they're at this year they shouldn't really put him out there as the risk seems a bit great.
It seems the unwritten rule these days is that if you are knocked out and don't come back on, you miss the next week minimum, regardless of how you pull up. I can't recall the last time someone played the next week in these circumstances. I assume there is also a finals exception to this rule.

I base this entirely on anecdotal evidence and my hazy memory.

It seems the unwritten rule these days is that if you are knocked out and don't come back on, you miss the next week minimum, regardless of how you pull up. I can't recall the last time someone played the next week in these circumstances. I assume there is also a finals exception to this rule.

I base this entirely on anecdotal evidence and my hazy memory.

Yes I thought that too but in Freos changes thread they were citing a Bulldogs player who played on the weekend after being concussed the week prior. Assuming I got those facts correct as I was just skimming the thread as I didn't know their injuries (neither did they it seems).

Yes I thought that too but in Freos changes thread they were citing a Bulldogs player who played on the weekend after being concussed the week prior. Assuming I got those facts correct as I was just skimming the thread as I didn't know their injuries (neither did they it seems).
So much for my anecdotal evidence - I see that Smith and Vandermeer for the dogs were both listed as concussion injuries after their game against North in round 5 and then both played the next week against Carlton.

I still think it's irresponsible, but maybe I'm just soft because of what Venables has been going through.

So much for my anecdotal evidence - I see that Smith and Vandermeer for the dogs were both listed as concussion injuries after their game against North in round 5 and then both played the next week against Carlton.

I still think it's irresponsible, but maybe I'm just soft because of what Venables has been going through.

I'm on same page as you. I think we've given our players a week off just to be sure, but that's more recent history as it's become so obvious how dangerous concussions are.

Highlights the importance of having an extremely low base-line to work to.
I don't mind it. I feel like Darcy gets in the way for freo. He came off in the preseason game vs WC and they mounted a huge comeback.

as soon as he went off on the weekend the team mounted a comeback again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back