Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That sounds really sh*t to be honest. Slog fest. My friends dad died last year and they spoke at his wake about their days at the Animal Cage - sounds fun for supporters but hardly conducive to good footy. As the dreadful Saints teams of those days can attest.
As opposed to the straight up cookie cutter story these days.

As opposed to the straight up cookie cutter story these days.
Idk man, maybe it’s because my other sport is soccer, but i’m not at all angsty about low scoring footy. I just like watching footy on the weekend with a few cans. All I really care about is that the neutral games are close enough for a bit of tension. I don’t really care about the players off field.

all the guys I loved as a kid are long retired. It’s cool watching young talented guys come through but I don’t really care about personalities

Your sound a bit more along the line of repressed trauma. Spud fetishising the good old days isn’t quite so fun when you remember how it ended for him :(
Doesn mean he didn't have good stories and a more interesting life than all the current day players.

Idk man, maybe it’s because my other sport is soccer, but i’m not at all angsty about low scoring footy. I just like watching footy on the weekend with a few cans. All I really care about is that the neutral games are close enough for a bit of tension. I don’t really care about the players off field.

all the guys I loved as a kid are long retired. It’s cool watching young talented guys come through but I don’t really care about personalities

You really are a bore hey? Personalities make sport far better and more watchable.

It's like how Hardwick and Longmire went at it the other day blaming each other for a s**t spectacle, about ******* time. Coaches being all pally with each other makes me want to vomit.

Bring back the rivalries and s**t talking each other thru the media, makes a s**t game far more interesting.

You really are a bore hey? Personalities make sport far better and more watchable.
I'm a significant bore obviously. As evidenced by engaging in this discussion with a bloke who spends literally hours every week preaching doom about his footy team and insisting he's given up hope before the next big rant :$

I'm a significant bore obviously. As evidenced by engaging in this discussion with a bloke who spends literally hours every week preaching doom about his footy team and insisting he's given up hope before the next big rant :$

That was good. Nice to see you're aren't as dead inside as I believed you to be. Well done on making me laugh you morbid pleb. 😜👍

I don't really see how footy players are any more boring now than they used to be. Blokes aren't gonna come out midweek and talk about hitting the tins and doing lines off random birds after a Tuesday training. Easy to tell all when your career is well in the past and you aren't lining up for a coaching gig.
Also all the dullards are forgotten. Thousands of guys have had solid careers, but the great 'characters' everyone remembers are pretty few. Give it 10 years and young Libba, Dane Swan, Sidebottom, even our beloved Jack Watts etc will have some good yarns to spin.

I don't really see how footy players are any more boring now than they used to be. Blokes aren't gonna come out midweek and talk about hitting the tins and doing lines off random birds after a Tuesday training. Easy to tell all when your career is well in the past and you aren't lining up for a coaching gig.
Also all the dullards are forgotten. Thousands of guys have had solid careers, but the great 'characters' everyone remembers are pretty few. Give it 10 years and young Libba, Dane Swan, Sidebottom, even our beloved Jack Watts etc will have some good yarns to spin.

The whole everyone is best friends with everyone nowadays makes me wanna puke. Rivalries make football fascinating. Those days are long gone sadly.

You obviously haven't met Toump Ass

The LeBron James generation, where loyalty and rivalries no longer exist.
Because no player ever moved clubs before, and one club players don't exist anymore...
Not saying that celebrity culture hasn't had some negatives on sport, but this is a pretty big stretch and moves are as much team driven as individual players bailing.
Rivalries ebb and flow depending on results, players, fans and shouldn't be manufactured (e.g. Carlton have been s**t for years, so the old rivalries in Melbourne between Carl/Rich/Coll/Ess isn't as strong). Hawthorn v Geelong and Sydney v West Coast have been big in the past 15 years, albeit waning now.
Richmond v Collingwood is coming back as both are decent teams and their fans are always vocal.
GWS v Bulldogs another that's developing some spice.

Because no player ever moved clubs before, and one club players don't exist anymore...
Not saying that celebrity culture hasn't had some negatives on sport, but this is a pretty big stretch and moves are as much team driven as individual players bailing.
Rivalries ebb and flow depending on results, players, fans and shouldn't be manufactured (e.g. Carlton have been sh*t for years, so the old rivalries in Melbourne between Carl/Rich/Coll/Ess isn't as strong). Hawthorn v Geelong and Sydney v West Coast have been big in the past 15 years, albeit waning now.
Richmond v Collingwood is coming back as both are decent teams and their fans are always vocal.

Melbourne and Melbourne Supporters is the strongest and longest running rivalry in the AFL.

Rivalries ebb and flow depending on results, players, fans and shouldn't be manufactured (e.g. Carlton have been sh*t for years, so the old rivalries in Melbourne between Carl/Rich/Coll/Ess isn't as strong). Hawthorn v Geelong and Sydney v West Coast have been big in the past 15 years, albeit waning now.

GWS and Bulldogs the only opposition game that is now a must view for me. God bless Toby Greene.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Which is fair but, there's those guys who take sport super serious and the people like yourself will say just relax mate, it's just a game, it's just entertainment.

So why wouldn't you want that entertainment to be all encompassing?
Every successful hero movie has a villian, almost every love story has an antagonist character that threatens to derail the happy ending.

They've successfuly watered down the sport to the point where any game you switch on is the exact same as every other game. You could swap jumpers at half time and no one would notice.

When I was a kid I would tune in to watch Essendon Hawthorn or Carlton Collingwood, it was volitile it gripped you.

Now it's nothing, rivalry is dead especially in Victoria.

I don't really know how to finish my point other than to say that if you want this to be an entertainment business, they've completely killed the entertainment

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Which is fair but, there's those guys who take sport super serious and the people like yourself will say just relax mate, it's just a game, it's just entertainment.

Every successful hero movie has a villian, almost every love story has an antagonist character that threatens to derail the happy ending.

They've successfuly watered down the sport to the point where any game you switch on is the exact same as every other game. You could swap jumpers at half time and no one would notice.

When I was a kid I would tune in to watch Essendon Hawthorn or Carlton Collingwood, it was volitile it gripped you.

I don't really know how to finish my point other than to say that if you want this to be an entertainment business, they've completely killed the entertainment
Everything looked more exciting as a kid though. Are you sure that you’re not on a grass greener old man v cloud rant.

Everything that I was engaged in aged 13 was massively exciting - sports games, bands, movie stars. Even politics, I was so passionate about stuff I thought was important.

Not that much has changed but I’m getting older. Things aren’t as vivid or exciting. I think you have to get amongst the possibility that the world isn’t getting more dull, but you’re just getting older mate

I blame the oversaturated footy media all desperate to make a hot take. Every time someone even inches outside of the line they get torn to shreds. Players get told not to give any bad publicity and gradually we've gotten an entire competition of placid vanilla players.

The irony is all the footy shows love throwing back to the 'good old days' for highlights and more often than not it's not the footy content they play.

I blame the oversaturated footy media all desperate to make a hot take. Every time someone even inches outside of the line they get torn to shreds. Players get told not to give any bad publicity and gradually we've gotten an entire competition society of placid vanilla players. people.

The irony is all the footy shows love throwing back to the 'good old days' for highlights and more often than not it's not the footy content they play.
Fixed that for you.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Everything looked more exciting as a kid though. Are you sure that you’re not on a grass greener old man v cloud rant.

Everything that I was engaged in aged 13 was massively exciting - sports games, bands, movie stars. Even politics, I was so passionate about stuff I thought was important.

Not that much has changed but I’m getting older. Things aren’t as vivid or exciting. I think you have to get amongst the possibility that the world isn’t getting more dull, but you’re just getting older mate

I used to watch every game, now I find myself playing on my phone during Melbourne games. It's just boring mate

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I used to watch every game, now I find myself playing on my phone during Melbourne games. It's just boring mate
Melbourne games is different again. I play on my phone, sometimes locked in the toilet, during our games these days.

Back