Prediction New Club Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

Great designs, would love to see what the all black with white border would look like with a thin black outline.

The only thing I like over the club's version better than yours is the discreteness of the teal outline.

I think your efforts have a greater scope with how the logo can be used, such as removing the shield if need be and just having the PA and three wharf pylons works far better with your version.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Don't take this the wrong way, but there's a lot more to do on this project* so I wan't be doing any requests from posters. Time is short as it is. I do want to hear thoughts and feedback though.

I have some thoughts on the desire to 'replicate the guernsey' vs the need to design a strong and usable symbol for the long term. Essentially, I think the latter trumps the former and that the better symbols are the simplest ones.

*For the record, I'm working up complete visual identity guidelines for the club that will include merch, mascot, member promotions, etc. This will all be entwined with the BBTB campaign for the offseason and throughout next year. The snippets above are some mid-stage development mockups. (Edit: I should note that this it self initiated, not an official engagement with the club)
Interested to know how or if this is coming along? bomberclifford

I still think the new logo needs fixing if we are to continue using it going forward.

Interested to know how or if this is coming along? bomberclifford

I still think the new logo needs fixing if we are to continue using it going forward.

Process has taken a hiatus with the impact of Covid and keeping our business afloat, but it’s still on the WIP list. Likely to be wrapped up in July.

Good luck with your business, I hope all is going well.

Thanks. It’s doing well right now. Still need to see how we’re placed post Sept to be sure, but the signs are good.

Background: Rangers FC rebranded recently, with an updated logo and redrawn crest. Turns out I know the guy who designed the typeface.

This might be very boring for some of you, but this is a great example of how a well designed typeface can help create a cohesive visual identity for a club.

Bit of detail on the project here: https://craigblackdesign.com/project/rangers-football-club

Also shows some further application of the identity beyond the logo.

Background: Rangers FC rebranded recently, with an updated logo and redrawn crest. Turns out I know the guy who designed the typeface.

This might be very boring for some of you, but this is a great example of how a well designed typeface can help create a cohesive visual identity for a club.

Bit of detail on the project here: https://craigblackdesign.com/project/rangers-football-club

I find your insights very interesting indeed, in particular about the visual identity.

I hope the club utilise your knowledge in one way or another.

Thanks for this, I love this sort of stuff. Agree totally about a typeface, and we have so, so much history to take cues from for a designer to build one.

Have you heard anything at all around the industry about what is happening for us moving forward? They were sort of ambiguous as to whether the logo would be permanent when it was introduced for the 150th. I think the 150th branding has been a success overall despite not being a huge fan of the logo. I love what the club has done with it and I just wish we could have gone to 11 home games to get the full experience.

Thanks for this, I love this sort of stuff. Agree totally about a typeface, and we have so, so much history to take cues from for a designer to build one.

Have you heard anything at all around the industry about what is happening for us moving forward? They were sort of ambiguous as to whether the logo would be permanent when it was introduced for the 150th. I think the 150th branding has been a success overall despite not being a huge fan of the logo. I love what the club has done with it and I just wish we could have gone to 11 home games to get the full experience.
The main thing I like about the logo is that it's no longer 2 separate logos at AFL and SANFL level. One logo is another step closer to a unified Port Adelaide brand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the old logo is absolutely terrible compared to this one

Yes and no. The old one was a triumph given what the brief would have been in 1997, but that brief was misguided. It hasn't dated or looked out of place since the 2000 revision. The new one is fine but it's just fine, again i'm sure the brief was to include a monogram and the prison bars.

There's no way we'll be going back to the old logo IMO.

I feels its effectively been retired with the announcement of our 150th year too. Pretty uncontroversial since our supporter base is rightly campaigning for all things prison bars.

The most minor issue I have with our logo is constantly overlooking it when looking up the Round fixtures on the AFL website. My brain catalogs it as either Collingwood or Carlton when I'm used to looking for teal.

Reminds me a bit of Tottenham’s. The NFL does this sort of thing very well too.

I feels its effectively been retired with the announcement of our 150th year too. Pretty uncontroversial since our supporter base is rightly campaigning for all things prison bars.

The most minor issue I have with our logo is constantly overlooking it when looking up the Round fixtures on the AFL website. My brain catalogs it as either Collingwood or Carlton when I'm used to looking for teal.

The PA monogram that’s already been used on past merch is the biggest giveaway.

Why is anyone saying we would go backwards? There is literally zero chance that will happen.

Reminds me a bit of Tottenham’s. The NFL does this sort of thing very well too.
It should be an essential part of any badge update or rebrand. Australian sport is well behind in that aspect. Pretty much every new sport logo is just rubber stamped everywhere and there isn't any thought put into cohesive, all encompassing visual branding.

Why is anyone saying we would go backwards? There is literally zero chance that will happen.

It should be an essential part of any badge update or rebrand. Australian sport is well behind in that aspect. Pretty much every new sport logo is just rubber stamped everywhere and there isn't any thought put into cohesive, all encompassing visual branding.

Yep and yep. I'm curious as to whether the club is already looking at it's branding post 2020, have they engaged a design firm and is that likely to include a new logo? I wonder whether COVID-19 has affected this.

As with most things like this, the AFL is way behind US sports and some soccer clubs in this field and we should absolutely be looking do have a fairly all encompassing package, regardless of whether we're changing the logo or not.

We're quite lucky in the AFL that theres flexibility in choosing a club logo.

Some have adopted a European-influenced club logo (St Kilda, Carlton) which have some combination of the monogram, latin quotes or simple crest.

The US influenced logo which some clubs go with (GWS, Crows) has more emphasis on the mascot name and colours that stand out.

Its interesting how the entire NRL code have Americanised their teams, which they now only refer to by their mascot without a lot of nods to its heritage.

I think given our club's history and heritage roots we're heading in the right direction with our new logo. The old one with the fist and lightening bolt doesn't align with the direction the club's heading.

I think as has been tradition, clubs have made a logo signifying a milestone year, and then reverted to their default one the year after.

I'm not aware that the club officially announced the replacement as being permanent or only as part of our 150th year celebrations.

Although, given there's no '150 yrs' or '1870-2020' slapped on ours currently I'd say its meant to be around post 2020.

Although, given there's no '150 yrs' or '1870-2020' slapped on ours currently I'd say its meant to be around post 2020.
Yeah. It's not that. It's not a 150 year once off logo it's a fully developed new logo. The '150 years' text at the bottom of the logo will just be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back