Unofficial Preview Round 7, 2020: Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns - SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even an indictment on our list. It's an indictment on the AFL as a competition, particularly the recruiting scouts, that Clarke is even on a list. If you can't kick, you can't mark, and you can't tackle, then, politely, GTFO of this code.

Cue the "wHaT aBoUt HiS gPs nUmBeRs"

You won't get an argument from me. Personally I'd get him out of the team. Base the midfield around the trio of Rowbottom, Hewett and Florent, at least until JPK is back. Parker is there to help, but I'd rather him forward. Seems we are playing someone just because he can run in Clarke.

It's not even an indictment on our list. It's an indictment on the AFL as a competition, particularly the recruiting scouts, that Clarke is even on a list. If you can't kick, you can't mark, and you can't tackle, then, politely, GTFO of this code.

Cue the "wHaT aBoUt HiS gPs nUmBeRs"
Said it once, will say it 1000 more times at least: The AFL rule changes have made it so they want to draft athletes first and footballers second

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
That's true, they don't have as much of an impact on the game as Clarke. He contributes to about half of the opposition's scoring opportunities. Arguably the opponent's BOG every week.

The lack of logic is mind-blowing. 😂 By just about every metric there is your golden boy Ollie is shitter.
Clarke is 2nd only to JPK in contested possessions per game this year. Ollie is 2nd in uncontested and 1st in shitkicks.
Maybe those stats won't hold up all year, but ...you're currently blaming the wrong bloke. 🤷‍♂️

The lack of logic is mind-blowing. 😂 By just about every metric there is your golden boy Ollie is shitter.
Clarke is 2nd only to JPK in contested possessions per game this year. Ollie is 2nd in uncontested and 1st in shitkicks.
Maybe those stats won't hold up all year, but ...you're currently blaming the wrong bloke. 🤷‍♂️

Stats

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Said it once, will say it 1000 more times at least: The AFL rule changes have made it so they want to draft athletes first and footballers second
Solution? I think zones need to be given a go. 3 nominated players inside attacking 50 and defending 50 at all times. Only brief 30 second foray outside allowed to collect ball.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Sinclair, Reid and McCartin apparently all some sort of a chance to play.. even two of them could make a big difference
No way Reid plays IMO - he only played half a match the other day - would be suicidally foolish to get him in for a whole AFL game given our current situ.
McCartin to KPD and Sinkers in will be massive for us. Would love to see a bolter like E Taylor given he kicked 4 last week in the ressies. But a second game for our rookies is also a fair outcome.

Solution? I think zones need to be given a go. 3 nominated players inside attacking 50 and defending 50 at all times. Only brief 30 second foray outside allowed to collect ball.
And who is going to police the foray? More umpires with a stop watch? Ball is in your back half, hack kick out to no one in the centre square and the forwards can't leave the 50m arc. Or the ball stopping 2m short so Buddy has to keep his feet inside the 50 as he lays on his belly to reaaaaaach for the ball?

Did you make a lead and mark the ball? I'd say good job but you marked the ball just outside of the 50. Free kick the other way!

Zones are ******* stupid. It will ruin so much of what does make our game great. Remember Jetta vs Rioli from the GF? Won't have that. Remember Buddy running down the wing and kicking goal of the year? * that we need to get rid of the actual contest to win the ball.

Want less congestion? Have the umpires throw it up faster, * the ruck nomination off, allow a 3rd man up, remove the interchange cap so players can recover some stamina so they can play at a higher level better and draft some campaigners who have football skills not just running machines to get to contest to contest

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
And who is going to police the foray? More umpires with a stop watch? Ball is in your back half, hack kick out to no one in the centre square and the forwards can't leave the 50m arc. Or the ball stopping 2m short so Buddy has to keep his feet inside the 50 as he lays on his belly to reaaaaaach for the ball?

Did you make a lead and mark the ball? I'd say good job but you marked the ball just outside of the 50. Free kick the other way!

Zones are ******* stupid. It will ruin so much of what does make our game great. Remember Jetta vs Rioli from the GF? Won't have that. Remember Buddy running down the wing and kicking goal of the year? fu** that we need to get rid of the actual contest to win the ball.

Want less congestion? Have the umpires throw it up faster, fu** the ruck nomination off, allow a 3rd man up, remove the interchange cap so players can recover some stamina so they can play at a higher level better and draft some campaigners who have football skills not just running machines to get to contest to contest
Well - I just posited giving players 30 seconds to avoid all those scenarios you mentioned so... 🤷‍♂️

GPS or more likely AI can track it - with video review guy calling any infractions highlighted by system. Free kick 55 out for infraction.
IDK to my mind it will give players not of a mind to run 15 kms a game a place - help with bringing one on one positional play back.
Pretty sure more interchanges will lead to the opposite of what you want. 3rd man up means no place in game for big rucks - again taking away from game and making more congestion as the teams will just all be runners.

Anyway a trail of different ideas in the preseason would be good.

Well - I just posited giving players 30 seconds to avoid all those scenarios you mentioned so... 🤷‍♂️

GPS or more likely AI can track it - with video review guy calling any infractions highlighted by system. Free kick 55 out for infraction.
IDK to my mind it will give players not of a mind to run 15 kms a game a place - help with bringing one on one positional play back.
Pretty sure more interchanges will lead to the opposite of what you want. 3rd man up means no place in game for big rucks - again taking away from game and making more congestion as the teams will just all be runners.

Anyway a trail of different ideas in the preseason would be good.
Which would be hard to police and your solution outside of more umpires would be expensive at best.

One on one play is fine at times but kills pack marks, hand ball chains into space.

There will always be a place for ruckmen even with a 3rd man up. Centre bounces, positions down the line. 3rd man up didn't stop rucks like Gawn and Grundy. Only teams who didn't have a decent ruckman used it anyway. Us included at times. If you are that scared of ruckmen losing their place, keep no 3rd man up but don't nominate who is going up. If you see two people contesting then that's it.

Zones would fundamentally change the game in a way that would stop it from being Aussie rules football

In general I do believe every attempt to 'engineer' the game to a desired state with rule changes has backfired. The interchange cap is probably the worst.

In general I do believe every attempt to 'engineer' the game to a desired state with rule changes has backfired. The interchange cap is probably the worst.

They should implement every suggestion on the main board.

I think it would be great.

999 to go

coaches are the problem with footy, they adapt and change to every rule

almost be better to give bonus points for scores or something ,

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
and some coaches want more players on the bench this year even with reduced minutes. crazy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back