Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Behind the pecking order at GC
What would it take to get him ?
Adelaide should be into him

2021 2nd rounder (pick 19>21 likely) gets it done ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The North board liked this kid, I remember many hoped he'd slip to us (not that we're regretting Simpkin). Can see a few known North posters hitting this thread soon with some trade scenarios.

The North board liked this kid, I remember many hoped he'd slip to us (not that we're regretting Simpkin). Can see a few known North posters hitting this thread soon with some trade scenarios.

Same with a few itk Carlton posters, some preferred him over SPS (I think), reckon we would ask the the question of a possible trade.

Remember him being touted as a potential pick 1 for a fair bit of his draft year, could be wrong. Interesting that he hasn't come in with Rowell out, wouldn't be surprised to see him request a trade as other inside mids are clearly preferred at GC atm.

Remember him being touted as a potential pick 1 for a fair bit of his draft year, could be wrong. Interesting that he hasn't come in with Rowell out, wouldn't be surprised to see him request a trade as other inside mids are clearly preferred at GC atm.
This is where Adelaide can hopefully attract some of these guys like Brodie, Hately , Valente, Caldwell offering them regular games and midfield minutes

Behind the pecking order at GC
What would it take to get him ?
Adelaide should be into him

2021 2nd rounder (pick 19>21 likely) gets it done ?
If that is the price, think many clubs would jump at that.

Personally rate Rowell > Brodie > Anderson from limited games so far. Immense potential - potent clearance/1st possession player, but poor disposals - very similar to JPK. Other pies supporter might disagree, but if Brodie realises his potential, he is capable of playing much better than all of Treloar/Adams/De Goey/Sier/Wills.

GC can't really play all of Greenwood, Brodie and MIller which are the same type of player, but Brodie is a player you can build a midfield around.

Not in the hub, that's why.
Think he'll get a run once we're back in QLD

I vaguely remember hearing rumours his professionalism is very poor.

still not sure why he signed a new deal should have left like Scrimshaw and gotten a fresh start.

in reality Brodie offers poor versatility but can win a contested ball. Problem is for him GC Suns don’t want to gift games to anyone you have to earn them which i love as that’s what hurt them when they first started.

Guys like Miller, Bowes, Fiorini are all ahead of him and are leaders at the club plus add in Greenwood. Throw in Rowell when he returns, Anderson, Swallow, Weller, Ainsworth, Ellis I see no reason why he will get a good look in. especially if his attitude is poor. Don’t forget the suns have Sam Flanders who will be a very good player.

This is where Adelaide can hopefully attract some of these guys like Brodie, Hately , Valente, Caldwell offering them regular games and midfield minutes

Honestly, I can't see Adelaide even being in the hunt for someone like Brodie. Why on earth would he want to go there unless it was on ridiculous money? Adelaide have shown that they won't even pay the good players they have 'market value' or close to it over recent history and they double down by overpaying middle of the road players they have under their model. Perhaps some SA lads might be realistic at a stretch, but even then they would have to fight off Port who have shown they are far more aggressive and flexible in the trade market and would be a far, far more attractive proposition. The question remains, why would anyone want to be traded there? The AFC is an absolute dumpster fire.

What the Crows will have to do is go super hard at drafting their own players and pick up role players with good character to rebuild their culture and club which is quite frankly, in the toilet. The only players in the short-medium term I see them being able to get in are fringe, role players way on the outer (think Ben Keays), mature state league players desperate for opportunity (think Kyle Hartigan, Mick Gibbons types) and 18 year olds out of the draft rather than former and recent high pick talents who may want a club change and better opportunities elsewhere (think Will Brodie).

Players like Brodie will have their pick of 4 or 5 clubs you'd think at least and Adelaide would be stone cold last on any list IMO.

I vaguely remember hearing rumours his professionalism is very poor.

still not sure why he signed a new deal should have left like Scrimshaw and gotten a fresh start.

in reality Brodie offers poor versatility but can win a contested ball. Problem is for him GC Suns don’t want to gift games to anyone you have to earn them which i love as that’s what hurt them when they first started.

Guys like Miller, Bowes, Fiorini are all ahead of him and are leaders at the club plus add in Greenwood. Throw in Rowell when he returns, Anderson, Swallow, Weller, Ainsworth, Ellis I see no reason why he will get a good look in. especially if his attitude is poor. Don’t forget the suns have Sam Flanders who will be a very good player.
I would argue that resigning and working on his deficiencies is a sign of good character and attitude.
Complete opposite to that sook Scrimshaw who didn't want to be there from day 1 and acted that way every second he was on the coast.

He recently got he's own house on the coast so don't thi kin the short term he planned on leaving but being a Vic kid you wouldn't know, Carlton have been into him since he has been up there as he's uncle is on the Carlton recruiting staff. And from all I have been told you would not get a more dedicated kid gc are Lucky to have him very quite and well mannered young bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, I can't see Adelaide even being in the hunt for someone like Brodie. Why on earth would he want to go there unless it was on ridiculous money? Adelaide have shown that they won't even pay the good players they have 'market value' or close to it over recent history and they double down by overpaying middle of the road players they have under their model. Perhaps some SA lads might be realistic at a stretch, but even then they would have to fight off Port who have shown they are far more aggressive and flexible in the trade market and would be a far, far more attractive proposition. The question remains, why would anyone want to be traded there? The AFC is an absolute dumpster fire.

What the Crows will have to do is go super hard at drafting their own players and pick up role players with good character to rebuild their culture and club which is quite frankly, in the toilet. The only players in the short-medium term I see them being able to get in are fringe, role players way on the outer (think Ben Keays), mature state league players desperate for opportunity (think Kyle Hartigan, Mick Gibbons types) and 18 year olds out of the draft rather than former and recent high pick talents who may want a club change and better opportunities elsewhere (think Will Brodie).

Players like Brodie will have their pick of 4 or 5 clubs you'd think at least and Adelaide would be stone cold last on any list IMO.
Settle down.

The Crows are rebuilding. Players that want opportunities will come to rebuilding sides. Brodie has a VERY healthy contract for the next few years already, so GCS may want him gone and he may want to prove himself.

Carlton were absolutely embarassing for almost 20 years, and they got players to come to them. It happens.

The Crows are a vastly larger club in South Australia than their competition, and admittedly have always been pretty good. They've never in their history been favourites for a wooden spoon. They are a club that will turn this around, just as West Coast did a decade ago, and the fact they're aggressively rebuilding hopefully means that happens quickly.

And any talk of culture is just rubbish. They've not overpaid for middling players like Lever or McGovern, or aging players that don't fit their list profile, like Greenwood. That's meaningless. And if doesn't matter how many times Eddie Betts wife wants to complain about Eddie not being allowed his phone at a work function, the camp is just not something that would factor into any player's opinion going forward.

Brodie will stay, he's pretty happy on the coast. As a poster has said he has his only place and has been working hard on his game. Greenwood & Miller currently ahead of him and both in form, Greenwood is leading tackles for the afl and Miller is doing well running 2 ways (Both would be top 7 for Suns B&f) Brodie will get his chance when Suns are back in QLD.

Settle down.

The Crows are rebuilding. Players that want opportunities will come to rebuilding sides. Brodie has a VERY healthy contract for the next few years already, so GCS may want him gone and he may want to prove himself.

Carlton were absolutely embarassing for almost 20 years, and they got players to come to them. It happens.

There is a huge difference between Carlton and Adelaide in that one is in Melbourne and the other is in... well Adelaide. Also not sure what Carlton has to do with anything, but I've got a fair idea what your trying to do.

You can count on one hand the amount of big name players either Adelaide side have been able to attract who weren't already from SA, even the ones who are from SA is small. It's also a very small list in that next tier that have gone there. The simple reality is that * all people want to live in Adelaide and it's a reality both sides need to contend with. Just because you won't accept it, doesn't make it not true.

The Crows are a vastly larger club in South Australia than their competition, and admittedly have always been pretty good. They've never in their history been favourites for a wooden spoon. They are a club that will turn this around, just as West Coast did a decade ago, and the fact they're aggressively rebuilding hopefully means that happens quickly.

Totally disagree that you will bounce back quickly. I think you are in for a very long rebuild for reasons I have already mentioned. On top of that, your young talent is near the worst in the league and your other players that have been around for a while look disinterested or cooked. This is further exacerbated by the fact that off-field the club is also a mess with the worst part being they are still in denial about it. The coaching staff is about as poor as any in the league and the hierarchy has probably the worst reputation in the league and for good reason.

And any talk of culture is just rubbish. They've not overpaid for middling players like Lever or McGovern, or aging players that don't fit their list profile, like Greenwood. That's meaningless. And if doesn't matter how many times Eddie Betts wife wants to complain about Eddie not being allowed his phone at a work function, the camp is just not something that would factor into any player's opinion going forward.

You are absolutely drinking the Kool Aid if you think your club doesn't have culture issues, deflecting it absolutely does you no favours. You actually remind me a lot of what Essendon supporters were like during the midst of the drugs scandal / Hird debacle. Misrepresenting that your club has had a good result by those players (and many, many more) leaving (and not the other way around) just says it all, as does making out like the camp hasn't been a huge factor in the massive drop off of your club and one of many stuff ups the club has made.

You can count on one hand the amount of big name players either Adelaide side have been able to attract who weren't already from SA, even the ones who are from SA is small. It's also a very small list in that next tier that have gone there. The simple reality is that fu** all people want to live in Adelaide and it's a reality both sides need to contend with. Just because you won't accept it, doesn't make it not true.

I know your trying to stir the pot but Port has never really had any issues retaining interstate players that we want to keep at the club. And we've had our fair share of high profile interstate recruits also, so I don't know if your purposely being misleading or are just completely unaware of the goings on of things outside of your own club.

I know your trying to stir the pot but Port has never really had any issues retaining interstate players that we want to keep at the club. And we've had our fair share of high profile interstate recruits also, so I don't know if your purposely being misleading or are just completely unaware of the goings on of things outside of your own club.

I never mentioned anything about retention, in fact earlier on I suggested that drafting their own good players was the way to go moving forward.

If i'm being misleading, why don't you compile a list of 'high profile' recruits that either club has had and show it? If your argument is that the Adelaide clubs can easily attract talent who aren't originally from SA I reckon you're going to have a hard time, because IMO history shows it's my statement that's closer to the truth...

I never mentioned anything about retention, in fact earlier on I suggested that drafting their own good players was the way to go moving forward.

If i'm being misleading, why don't you compile a list of 'high profile' recruits that either club has had and show it? If your argument is that the Adelaide clubs can easily attract talent who aren't originally from SA I reckon you're going to have a hard time, because IMO history shows it's my statement that's closer to the truth...
Paddy Ryder, Charlie Dixon, Tom Rockliff And to a lesser extent of “high profile” Jack Watts and Steven Motlop. Some higher paid players at port are ooc so I hope another can be added to that list this year.

Last edited:
Which is no case really. I agree the Crows haven’t been able to attract interstate high profile talent, but don’t paint us with the same brush.

You think 3 players who many wouldn't consider high profile at all proves your point? I said that both teams could count the number of big names they have been able to recruit who aren't from SA on one hand and you've just proven my point.

It's further proven by the quality you've listed and the circumstances. Dixon was paid a small fortune to get him in but was a pretty good get, Ryder was a decent name I'll grant and no one could consider Rockliff a big name by any metric. Watts is a C grader who Melbourne wanted gone and Motlop has never achieved any sort of consistency, Geelong wanted him gone too and he has family connections and ties to the club and SA anyway.

But yeah, I've got no case :drunk:

i think that's a bit disingenuous, Carlton wanted Rockcliff pretty badly at the time IIRC

So that makes him a big name because another club was interested?

Multiple clubs were into Dan Butler last off-season, is he a big name too? Adam Tomlinson had multiple suitors, him too? C'mon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back