Preview Round 7: Essendon vs Western Bulldogs, Carrara, Friday 17/07/20, 7:50 PM

Team with more points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

R t james

Debutant
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm genuinely surprised and pleased we've stopped trying to make Matt Guelfi a thing.
I don’t think guelfi has a future at this club after seeing the team picked for tonight , for one he’s to tall and he’s prepared to do a job and not just run forward at all cost

I don’t think guelfi has a future at this club after seeing the team picked for tonight , for one he’s to tall and he’s prepared to do a job and not just run forward at all cost
Yes, because our defence is such an issue given:

1. Our average points against is lower than all bar Port and Collingwood
2. Our goals/inside 50 against coming into this round was the second best in the league by 0.13%

What is with your weird obsession with Guelfi? As for too tall, he's 184cm, what does he bring to the table that Redman, McKenna, Saad, and of those who missed out tonight, Gleeson and Francis don't?

R t james

Debutant
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes, because our defence is such an issue given:

1. Our average points against is lower than all bar Port and Collingwood
2. Our goals/inside 50 against coming into this round was the second best in the league by 0.13%

What is with your weird obsession with Guelfi? As for too tall, he's 184cm, what does he bring to the table that Redman, McKenna, Saad, and of those who missed out tonight, Gleeson and Francis don't?
I don’t think he is a back man , he can go back and help out but think he’s more suited to midfield / forward but have never seen him without a defensive role and never seen him in the middle except the last couple of scrathies , I’m hoping the game tonight will be slippery conditions as this will suite maybe bombers smallest team ever

I don’t think he is a back man , he can go back and help out but think he’s more suited to midfield / forward but have never seen him without a defensive role and never seen him in the middle except the last couple of scrathies , I’m hoping the game tonight will be slippery conditions as this will suite maybe bombers smallest team ever
There was a game in 2014 where we lined up with Carlisle in the ruck and Daniher, Hurley and Hooker were the only other players 192+. Clarke spent about 20 minutes in the ruck and had more hit outs than we did. Sandi had 40+ from memory

Do you know him personally? If you do can you ask him what the coaches have asked him to work on? He hasn't been interviewed lately 🤷‍♀️

The development coaches do get interviewed about the kids on our list after each scratch match:
"Matt Guelfi
He wins his own ball, uses it well and works hard. Again, these games with reduced numbers are tough on the players as they don't get much of a break, but he just kept presenting and needs to keep working on the little things like all of us do. He got a lot of the ball and apart from a few missed kicks, used it pretty well. The conditions were tough in the wet, so there were excuses."

The best spots for him to target atm are Snelling and Ham, but it sounds like both are performing better than Guelfi especially in greasy conditions.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The best spots for him to target atm are Snelling and Ham, but it sounds like both are performing better than Guelfi especially in greasy conditions.

He's not really a true winger, plus Ham has been performing well anyway. Those small forward spots are all playing good football, plus basically every player on our list that's < 6'1" is fit. If he was a KPF he'd be playing.

One of those players that's good to have around when you need depth in various roles, but most of our best 22 in the roles Guelfi can play are fit and playing well, and the roles we're thin in, Guelfi can't fill.

Zaharakis would have been a spot to consider swapping, but his performance last week has bought him breathing room.

Also some interesting points from the club preview:

- Saad's 50th game for Essendon! 50 more and we get dibs on his kids ha. Can you imagine a fleet of little Saads running around in the red sash in 20 years? 😁
- We beat Collingwood without Zerrett. Shiel's midfield minutes will go to Langford and Parish, won't be introducing more mids to the mix.
- Fantasia half-back, Cahill forward. "Oh, and for the record, it's pronounced 'Carl', not 'Kay-hill'.

Beveridge talking about Essendon:

"We haven't really gone to school too much on that (104-point win)," Beveridge told media on Thursday.

"They've changed significantly since then, not just personnel-wise but the way that they're playing.

"The momentum and the surge side of the game is significantly different to what we've seen in the past."

Guessing we'll have minders for Bont too.

He's not really a true winger, plus Ham has been performing well anyway. Those small forward spots are all playing good football, plus basically every player on our list that's < 6'1" is fit. If he was a KPF he'd be playing.

One of those players that's good to have around when you need depth in various roles, but most of our best 22 in the roles Guelfi can play are fit and playing well, and the roles we're thin in, Guelfi can't fill.

Zaharakis would have been a spot to consider swapping, but his performance last week has bought him breathing room.
Yeah exactly. He's not going to force his way into the logjam that is our defence, not tall enough for KPF, not an inside mid, and we have a zillion guys either side of 6' fighting for the remaining spots in the rotating mid/forward group. He needs to find an edge, atm he's spare parts – jack of all trades.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Parish watch again tonight. The Dogs will be aggressive and Parish needs to not panic by foot as he has on occasion.

With their midfield as strong as it is, I wonder if we might see some slingshot out of back half tonight. Hoping we don't end up carrying Zaharakis.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The talk about what we did against Collingwood concerns me a bit. Shiel and Stringer were huge for us in that game and they both add some crash and bash to the middle.

I'm not saying we will get monstered by the Bulldogs, but I'd like us to have directly replaced Shiel with either Clarke, Hibberd or Parish on the team sheet and said thats what we are going to do to get first football - backing them in accordingly. Mostly I'd like us to be trying to find a regular extractor from this list this year and i just don't see Langford ever being that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back