Discussion #EaglesFontWatch – finding Dynamo in today's world (Now with added Marbold!)

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
IMG_3157.JPG

Dunno how many times I’ve driven past this place lucky I had my thinking brain on today

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

892B6C6F-1F3F-414A-BC1A-1337D0236ED4.jpeg

Found this a while ago when going burger hunting, forgot to post it. There’s a few others I’ve found and forgot to post, I’ll need to go through my photos and find them!

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Ipswich Town used Dynamo on their programmes in season 1979-80, switched to a different font for 1980-81, then back to Dynamo again in 1981-82:

Binners.png

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
What a wonderful afternoon I've had. 😂
Manutdsutton2.png
Whilst looking through these old programmes, I also found loads of uses of Marbold from the same era. Manchester United, Wolves, Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion, Aldershot, Coventry City, Millwall, Fulham, Brentford, all used Marbold at some point. No doubt there are more too. It's interesting if Marbold was already understood as a sporting font at the time. I mean, I wouldn't expect there was any cross-pollination between English football and the VFL. Then again maybe English graphic design magazines were already hitting our shores by then...

Last edited:
What a wonderful afternoon I've had. 😂
View attachment 913814Whilst looking through these old programmes, I also found loads of uses of Marbold from the same era. Manchester United, Wolves, Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion, Aldershot, Coventry City, Millwall, Fulham, Brentford, all used Marbold at some point. No doubt there are more too. It's interesting if Marbold was already understood as a sporting font at the time. I mean, I wouldn't expect there was any cross-pollination between English football and the VFL. Then again maybe English graphic design magazines were already hitting our shores by then...

you’re saying marbold a whole lot but all I’m seeing is dynamo 😂

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
you’re saying marbold a whole lot but all I’m seeing is dynamo 😂
Look, as I've been slowly taking over this thread, I took the decision today to step up and act as moderator of myself, and not post the numerous Marbold sightings.

However, if you or anyone else thinks they may benefit from having their DMs spammed with 11 Marbold examples, I will be very, very happy to oblige!

Look, as I've been slowly taking over this thread, I took the decision today to step up and act as moderator of myself, and not post the numerous Marbold sightings.

However, if you or anyone else thinks they may benefit from having their DMs spammed with 11 Marbold examples, I will be very, very happy to oblige!

this thread is a safe space for all retro footy fonts.

post at your hearts content!

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
safe space

Ok well get your safe word ready because there are a lot of them!

programmes2.png

STOKE.png
ffc.png

I can't believe I found this many in just a few hours.

For anyone who might not know, the clubs design their own programmes in the UK, and stick with the same layout for a whole season. So each of these layouts would have been used for about 20 games, just with different images. These are all from about 1970-1980.

Last edited:

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
More Dynamo finds to get us back on track:

Someone at Sheffield United didn't like the standard 'S' 😂

CUP-FINAL-3.png

Last edited: