Unofficial Preview Round 7, 2020: Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, I don't mind embracing the rebuild it's the reason we are where we are. But just seems weird to be pumping up a handful of kids who are yet to do anything.

I don't mind, its more i dont like it when it seems like the club is worried we will drop to 5000 members or something, if that makes any sense

been doing it for a while , fans like it,

cant wheel buddy out much at the moment, kind of makes me think its why blakey cant be dropped
3 to 4 weeks for Buddy to return apparently so if we can pinch a few games against GC & Hawks, we should win most games when he's back providing a target up forward, leaving us with a great chance of playing finals.

3 to 4 weeks for Buddy to return apparently so if we can pinch a few games against GC & Hawks, we should win most games when he's back providing a target up forward, leaving us with a great chance of playing finals.

No chance

Build a great defence at what cost ? Horse has sacrificed players who could help our midfield (biggest weakness) to help the defence instead. Horse has also shown he'd rather develop guys in defence out of position than in the reserves in position.

Also, why are you on this board if all opinions on here are meaningless because we're not professionals?

Why are you on a Swans board if your opinions are sancrosanct ? As I said. It was just a thought, but I backed it up with reasoning and logic.

Opinions are like a-holes...well, you know how it goes.

If you prefer hallowed proclamations unemcumbered by facts you should try religion, where unreasoned opinion is accepted without question.

Very optimistic against GC. Maybe against Dawks

Yep nail on the head here.

**** imagine if the three off season recruits turned out differently this year and we had an extra three genuine experienced mature bodies contributing every week...

Actually still think Brand can be a very solid member of our team, we just gotta get him on the park!
Brand is our long term full back imo.

Gold Coast lost to Melbourne last weekend, a team only ahead of us by 3% on the ladder. I don't think it is too optimistic to think we can be competitive.

If it wasn't at the SCG I'd be somewhat optimistic

After last week sure.. but we beat them soundly at the scg just last year.. the team hasnt changed much, just with last years draftees im. look 3 or 4 drafts from sustainable finals hiltat the moment.

We just play the ground terribly, our gameplan suits grounds like Ethiad to be honest, it's not a shick to me our best games are there

Agreed.

Not sure I like that the club posted it, kinda feels like giving the team an out.
Doesn't seem that way to me. Exciting young list. Taylor is bigger than I thought he was - super keen to see him play his game.

Amazing Haywood and Ollie still only 21. Some people prob judge them too harshly. :rolleyes:

Can see why they kept McInerney out of the team - would have messed up that graphic.

After last week sure.. but we beat them soundly at the scg just last year.. the team hasnt changed much, just with last years draftees im. look 3 or 4 drafts from sustainable finals hiltat the moment.
I reckon they can do it in 2 years if they don't lose anyone and continue bringing in experience. In a similar spot to Brisbane a few seasons ago, maybe with slightly more depth and less stars (granted one of those stars came when Brisbane were on the rise).

I'd be quite happy with 3-5, personally.

Maybe it's the nature of the season, but I'm enjoying the little things like Rowbottom's patches of individual brilliance, McInerney, McLean, and Stephens showing signs, Florent coming of age. Heck, I enjoyed holding Richmond to 34 even though we struggled to score (and I don't buy into the BS about "not trying to win" because if we'd goaled a few of our very gettable chances we WOULD have won).

IMHO we've only had 2 really poor performances this season despite being faced with plenty of challenges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke bashing is senseless. He gets a ton of pill and he’s he doesn’t use it well, but look at the rest of them, Blakey, Dawson, Hayward, you’re telling me these guys have more impact on the game with their 4 touches at 40% disposal?

I believe Dawson has a DE of 80% not 40. He was played at FF last week. The ball did not exactly get down there. He has been pplaying off the back flank until then. He spent time in the ruck last week. A stupid decision. You don't put a Rolls Royce in a Crash Derby. Dawson is averaging 15.7 disposals at 80% not 4 touches at 40%. He gor 13 disposals playing FF last week which I think is astounding as the ball only went in there 10 times lol. but I must admit he was seen at FB flooding back like all the others

Last edited:
A few interesting stats.

Scoring accuracy of 35% from Marks this year. Ranked last and 25% below the AFL average.

Moving the ball from defence the Swans have used the corridor on 23% of occasions, the highest this year.

Florent is second in the AFL for kicks inside F50 with 28. Unfortunately the Swans have only marked 4% of these (which actually I think is rounded up so it’s 1/28).

Bit of an enigma is Florent. Is very good in congestion, creates space for himself and team mates as well as anyone but let’s him down with his foot skills. Seriously this kid could be a star in the near future if he sorts his kicking out.

I don't mind, its more i dont like it when it seems like the club is worried we will drop to 5000 members or something, if that makes any sense

can someone explain why membership is important? Apart from these times, surely attendance is a way better indicator than membership

can someone explain why membership is important? Apart from these times, surely attendance is a way better indicator than membership
Off the top of my head....
Cash flow. Money comes into the club at the beginning of the year.
Barometer of a club's relationship with its fans.
Rusted on supporters help in many ways, not the least of which is attracting sponsors.
I'm sure there are plenty of others...

A few interesting stats.

Scoring accuracy of 35% from Marks this year. Ranked last and 25% below the AFL average.

Moving the ball from defence the Swans have used the corridor on 23% of occasions, the highest this year.

Florent is second in the AFL for kicks inside F50 with 28. Unfortunately the Swans have only marked 4% of these (which actually I think is rounded up so it’s 1/28).

Bit of an enigma is Florent. Is very good in congestion, creates space for himself and team mates as well as anyone but let’s him down with his foot skills. Seriously this kid could be a star in the near future if he sorts his kicking out.

I would take his deep entries inside 50 that miss their targets any day over a shallow hack kick straight to opposition defenders any day of the week.

A few interesting stats.

Maybe our forwards (or lack there of) are not presenting well. Could be a contributing factor.

I would take his deep entries inside 50 that miss their targets any day over a shallow hack kick straight to opposition defenders any day of the week.

Quite possibly right. I’d like to see the stats from his kicking where there is either a score or the ball is retained inside 50 to gain a better insight. That’d give a better total view than the narrow view of what happened at the moment the ball arrived.

Don’t have access to that though! These are from the Footy Live app (and just a selection of what they had for this weeks game).

Maybe our forwards (or lack there of) are not presenting well. Could be a contributing factor.

A lack of tall targets / contested markers cannot be helping for sure, though I think Florent was accused last year of the same when our key position stocks weren’t AS effected.

I believe Dawson has a DE of 80% not 40. He was played at FF last week. The ball did not exactly get down there. He has been pplaying off the back flank until then. He spent time in the ruck last week. A stupid decision. You don't put a Rolls Royce in a Crash Derby. Dawson is averaging 15.7 disposals at 80% not 4 touches at 40%
Yeah look I think Dawson was the wrong guy to put into analysis. I love Dawson and he’s been so poorly used. He should have Lloyd’s role. Far more penetration and creativity On his disposal.

Quite possibly right. I’d like to see the stats from his kicking where there is either a score or the ball is retained inside 50 to gain a better insight. That’d give a better total view than the narrow view of what happened at the moment the ball arrived.

Don’t have access to that though! These are from the Footy Live app (and just a selection of what they had for this weeks game).

You don't need the stats to tell you that. He's got some toe which affords him that extra 5 or 10 metres to get a low but deep kick. They are just haphazardly placed and wobbly AF which makes them difficult to read. The long bombs 5km in the air off one step from the centre circle though... if you're Nick Haynes or Jeremy Howe or Tom Stewart you are eating them up for breakfast. I've noticed Florent has committed a few of these over the last two weeks, which I'm hoping are aberrations and not a sign that his mentors have finally got to him.

A few interesting stats.

So in other words if Florent took a multiple-choice exam where in theory if you know nothing you would still get 25% but somehow Florent has managed to get 0% in the test, indicating he actually knew all the answers, but deliberately got them all wrong.

So in other words if Florent took a multiple-choice exam where in theory if you know nothing you would still get 25% but somehow Florent has managed to get 0% in the test, indicating he actually knew all the answers, but deliberately got them all wrong.

You’ve completely lost me there. Don’t get the context at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back