Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
He's inexperienced, got a ton of injuries and some senior players seriously letting him down, but...

All aspects of Rhyce Shaw's coaching in the past 5 weeks has been absolutely deplorable. There is nothing that he has been doing that gets anywhere near a pass. Appears to be totally out of his depth.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah nah, sorry. Not asking for this bloke's head on a platter in this season of all f’ed seasons.

The layoffs, injuries and other dramas are hurting us, badly.

He gets one more year.
He is paying as a coach for having a s**t list made by Joyce Scott and having s**t assistants doesn’t help when you sack the best assistants

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is paying as a coach for having a sh*t list made by Joyce Scott and having sh*t assistants doesn’t help when you sack the best assistants

We had something good with Whitecross, and maybe Rivers.

But ultimately you're right, this is all on Joyce especially with his s**t list building, nothing for us to play with in the future, only in the past couple seasons have we even started to plant some seeds.

Now look what it's done, the cupboard is completely bare. Joyce was more concerned with big fish trade targets than actually building a list.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lucky we only did a 2 year deal.

Keeps him honest and have the ability to sack him next year when out of contract

He gets an F for me, because of his unwillingness to come into the club with a broom and sweep out the rubbish.

eg. JMac and Atley still get a free licence to stink it up every week.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Something’s just not right around the club. How has a red-hot, bone-crunching team become a listless, demoralised rabble in just one short Covid Isolation break? Something’s not right.

This. It’s more than just the combination of covid, injuries, players out of form and a rookie coach. It’s mabo, it’s the vibe. It sucks.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have been sh*t since Geoff Walsh went back to Collingwood in 2016.
Joyce’s and Scott were the worst thing to happen to us and I personally don’t rate Jade Rawlings or Shaw.

From what I can piece together, Walsh leaving is what allowed Scott to COMPLETELY take control of the footy department. Brilliant tactical move when he managed to convince the higher ups to hire Joyce to be the guy he reported to, Scott's golf game improved out of sight by all reports.

As for the now... I have no idea how to rate Shaw. My fear though is that he's going to eventually be chewed up and spat out by the football system, a husk of his former quirky self.

Geoff Walsh was a figure that people respected at the club and the players actually admired. To think we pushed him out because of Joyce is laughable.
We didn’t. Rocket quit the pies to Coach the Suns and Eddie poached him back. We promoted Joyce from within cause we didn’t want to spend on a decent replacement.

Everyone questions the 2016 retirements as the beginning of the rebuild but considering the players we brought in since it’s set us back further.
Marley, Polec, Ahern, Bonar, Pittard, Tyson, Hall. The trading has been worse than the drafting.

Does he regret sacking Whitecross and Rivers as line coaches now?

Rd1 8.8.56 - 2 goals to half time
Rd2 12.8.80 - 2 goals to half time
Rd3 8.12.60 - 3 goals to half time
Rd4 8.6.54 - 4 goals to half time
Rd5 5.8.38 - 2 goals to half time
Rd6 7.11.53 - 4 goals to half time
Rd7 2.11.23 - 2 goals for the WHOLE game

We just can't score.

So, how would Rivers have changed this?

We have been sh*t since Geoff Walsh went back to Collingwood in 2016.
Joyce’s and Scott were the worst thing to happen to us and I personally don’t rate Jade Rawlings or Shaw.

Why?

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We didn’t. Rocket quit the pies to Coach the Suns and Eddie poached him back. We promoted Joyce from within cause we didn’t want to spend on a decent replacement.

Everyone questions the 2016 retirements as the beginning of the rebuild but considering the players we brought in since it’s set us back further.
Marley, Polec, Ahern, Bonar, Pittard, Tyson, Hall. The trading has been worse than the drafting.

We did push him out. Geoff was working part time towards the end of his time at North Melbourne to help mentor Joyce. Eddie poached him back but I am sure he would have stayed at North had we not pushed him to part time.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So, how would Rivers have changed this?

From the outside it seems the decision to get rid of our forward and back line coaches has hurt us.
It seems unforgivable to think we are the only club that doesn't have proper line coaches.
Whitecross and Rivers were sort out and recruited for specific needs and then were sacked.
Having a solid defence gives you some license to have more attacking flare in the game style, just something we are lacking at the moment.

From the outside it seems the decision to get rid of our forward and back line coaches has hurt us.
It seems unforgivable to think we are the only club that doesn't have proper line coaches.
Whitecross and Rivers were sort out and recruited for specific needs and then were sacked.
Having a solid defence gives you some license to have more attacking flare in the game style, just something we are lacking at the moment.

I don't buy that. In the current circumstances, most (if not all) clubs have made cuts.

His resume with his stints at Melbourne and Richmond weren’t too promising.

We did push him out. Geoff was working part time towards the end of his time at North Melbourne to help mentor Joyce. Eddie poached him back but I am sure he would have stayed at North had we not pushed him to part time.
It was a disastrous call at the time.

To be fair only Polec has cost us at the trade table and IMO he'd be fine in a team that was clicking. Tyson was a mistake from a contract term POV though, no doubt at all. Probably a fair argument that 1-2 of those is okay trading and the rest should have gone to the draft.

The screw turns
His resume with his stints at Melbourne and Richmond weren’t too promising.

It was a disastrous call at the time.

Got confused with Brady given talk was of Geoff Walsh.

Fine with judging him in 12 months. He's inherited a list with a culture that still hasn't recovered from a 20 year hangover from the 90's and finished mid table for the majority of it. That's a s**t sandwich and a half to take on.

That being said, the past month has been concerning after the few impressive games after the season resuming. Despite COVID related FD restrictions, I hope we can make some coaching changes next year.

IMO, the season has slight 2nd half 2016 stench to it. Majority of the team playing like they've been told they won't be around next year.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 11.47.52 pm.png

Just over a month ago. Things can change fast. We are in the toilet right now but I reckon we keep some faith in the man and what he's trying to do, even though at the moment it smells pretty bad. I won't push the toilet metaphor any further. Hope Rhyce can sort this s**t out.

Back