Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 7 - Blues v Port Sun July 19th 1:05 AEST (Gabba) Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good game. Port going through a rebuild against an aging Carlton after Port's 2nd same day red eye flight and one game at their home ground, as well as having 2 players injured in the game and going against the umps, had it all against them but pulled through.

Quality game against a quality side. Disappointed in result but from a CFC point of view a lot to like and lots of upside.

Style of play is exciting as well.

Young talent improving week by week. Thought we just tired at the end against mature bodies. 12 months ago we would have collapsed. We are so much fitter now

Walsh Setterfield Weitering Martin Gibbons were excellent. SPS & DC are damaging

Kennedy has made a difference but needs to work on disposal

Dixon played well but I thought we didn’t help Jones enough

Big positive is young talent like OBrien Dow Fisher Polson Honey Cottrell Jack TDK who are playing well in the 2s can develop and have to fight for a spot.

Cripps is yet to have a massive game this year. Watch out when he does

Next year we add Charlie & Kemp who are big body a grade talents

Exciting times. Go Blues 😎

PS didn’t have an issue with the umpires and don’t believe they effected the game

Last edited:

Nah he's right, this is typical Port. We've seen your mob do this sort of thing a number of times under Hinckley and its never amounted to anything. You have 4 legit hurdles in finals footy...not regular season ball. Richmond, Collingwood, Brisbane and WCE. I wouldn't put too much on beating an out of form West Coast, try them again in the finals.
You should look at Hinkleys record in finals with Port.
If you did, you'd see that it's getting there that's our issue.

Beat Freo in Perth
Beat Collingwood in Melb
Smashed Richmond in Adel.
Lost to Geelong in Melb after leading by 4 goals at half time
Lost to Hawthorn in Melb by the hairs breadth after an epic final, kicking 3.9 in the 1Q and a perplexing last 2 mins
Lost to WC is Adelaide in extra time to a Shuey duck

You should look at Hinkleys record in finals with Port.
If you did, you'd see that it's getting there that's our issue.

Beat Freo in Perth
Beat Collingwood in Melb
Smashed Richmond in Adel.
Lost to Geelong in Melb after leading by 4 goals at half time
Lost to Hawthorn in Melb by the hairs breadth after an epic final, kicking 3.9 in the 1Q and a perplexing last 2 mins
Lost to WC is Adelaide in extra time to a Shuey duck
Any flags?

The last time your mob were in a final was 3 seasons ago and a fairly weak WCE knocked you out. But that's my point, even when the Power have been at their best under Hinkley they haven't produced anything that history will really pay attention too so after round 7 of the Covid Cup you can't expect much different. It's like Essendon supporters thinking they have arrived because they were in the top 4 for a couple of weeks at the early part of the season.

Any flags?

The last time your mob were in a final was 3 seasons ago and a fairly weak WCE knocked you out. But that's my point, even when the Power have been at their best under Hinkley they haven't produced anything that history will really pay attention too so after round 7 of the Covid Cup you can't expect much different. It's like Essendon supporters thinking they have arrived because they were in the top 4 for a couple of weeks at the early part of the season.
Hey your choice to talk down what you want to. I guess premierships given you that right.

Thought you'd be a little more understanding when Hardwick/Richmond were in exactly the same position 8 years in.

Blues need to work on their midfield a lot more. Especially their runners. If Cripps and friends don’t win the ball out of the clearance they struggle. Poor team at transferring the ball from half back to half forward because a lack of users and runners.

we’ve got Dbj Farrell duursma Amon boak burton mayes Houston and Hartlett streaming through the middle and the wings to deliver the ball even before looking at our half forwards pushing up like butters rozee and Motlop (or Ebert in last games)

Clear issue for blues recruiting going forward I reckon.

Ease up .......... !!

The umpires had little to do with us losing and we had everything to do with it.

We were beaten by .... a lack of experience & nouse in the final minutes. They gave us the ball three times by missing some dead-set sodas yet we kept giving it back to them.

Its disappointing to lose but we can only blame ourselves and hopefully learn from it.
At no point did I blame the umpires for the loss, clearly Carlton are the ones at fault.
Doesn't mean that the umpiring decisions didn't go against us.
The two don't have the be linked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any flags?

What had your mob accomplished before you won the flag? Two tenths of nothing, a season like this anything can happen and we keep winning games. All I know is Id rather be in top spot than any other.

oh really, so a free against Cripps for a throw in the centre when it was clear as day a handball, umpire wasn’t even in proper position to see it so he just guessed it was a throw because he reckoned their was no way Cripps could get a hand ball off.

or the blatant block on jones to allow Dickson to mark and goal, is clear as day that Dickson team mate looked backed at jones and backed into him without looking at ball once yet ump let’s it go.

not McKay getting pinged in our goal square when we are up by 7 points, for what no one knows, port player has a fistful of McKay’s jumper .
So let’s cancel out our missed creeds with their kisses frees, they still got pairs for things that were completely wrong.

not to memotion, one of our player tries to break through a tackle, and umpire literally blows his whistle so fast before it’s even clear if breaking the tackle can be successful or not
They should've just let Kade Simpson umpire the game like he did a few years back.

Blues need to work on their midfield a lot more. Especially their runners. If Cripps and friends don’t win the ball out of the clearance they struggle. Poor team at transferring the ball from half back to half forward because a lack of users and runners.

we’ve got Dbj Farrell duursma Amon boak burton mayes Houston and Hartlett streaming through the middle and the wings to deliver the ball even before looking at our half forwards pushing up like butters rozee and Motlop (or Ebert in last games)

Clear issue for blues recruiting going forward I reckon.

Yet how was the game so close if the Blues team is so structurally buggered?

Zach Fisher, Patty Dow and Sam Walsh will be the runners eventually. We also have Liam Stocker and Brodie Kemp as possible future big bodied inside mids.

Midfield is still a work in progress.

One Carlton player did win something today. The title. Undisputed now. No one will catch him.

Most losses in V/@AFLgames
209 - KADE SIMPSON
208 - Kevin Murray
200 - Doug Hawkins
199 - John Rantall
196 - Paul Roos
195 - Nathan Jones
cockroach comment one of your 'best' ...

Back