Autopsy vs Richmond - Rd 7, 2020

BowWow1978

All Australian
Feb 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s offical now, Rhyce Shaw is under pressure. A mixture of Ziebell’s pure selfishness putting his hand up to play, and Shaw making the call to play him was a disgrace.

He said we learnt from the Cunnington episode a few weeks ago. Clearly we didn't.....

WayneShimmiesTheBush

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like many on here I am frustrated by the way we have gone about it over the last 5 weeks. It definitely hasn't gone the way I envisioned. However, I was a little fortunate on Saturday as I went to the pub in the afternoon for lunch and got home about 2 hours before the game started. Now being a little older and after having a few beers, I actually had a nanny nap before the game started. It was a blessing that I woke up right at the start of the second quarter as I could only imagine how crap we were playing to be 27-0 down at quarter time. Unfortunately watching the last three quarters of the game, gave me an indication on how the first quarter went. If only I had slept through the whole game.

On a serious note, these last 5 weeks have been disappointed and people are basically writing off Rhyce as a coach. Yep he has made mistakes, but I will wait until he has his better players on the field before I cast any judgement on him. If we were playing like that with our best players on the filed then yeah he would be under the spotlight. My opinion is, there is a minimum eight players I would have in my starting line-up that were unavailable on the weekend. Cunners, Maj, Larkey, Zurhaah, Thomas, LDU, Zed and Garner. Then you have players like Murphy who I would also bring in. That is one hell of a lot of talent unavailable, so I am going to cut Rhyce some slack.

I guess on a positive note, the last 5 weeks should give the club a good indication on which players will not be taking this club forward in the future. The good news is, it was not the kids letting us down. So in my eyes the future looks a little brighter.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah I get that, but isn't that what we have a medical staff for? The decision shouldn't be left up to the player, as they will always want to play.
In a normal season, a guy who has failed to finish 3 of the 4 games he has played this year should be told he won't be selected again until he has played two VFL games to restore confidence in his durability.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it is time for Plan B. Rhyce's Plan A was to crash and bash our way through the opposition defence with tough, hard, aggressive football. That Plan is obviously not sustainable long term as it takes its toll on our own players and doesn't work when our 4 toughest and hardest players (Jed, Zurhaar, Ben 10 and Zeibell) are all out injured. Also the opposition have worked out how to counter that Plan A and we are finding it almost impossible to force our way through the opposition's defensive press- kicking long down the line to packs is just not working as the opposition just close up that area leaving no space for our forwards to move. We need a Plan B for how we are going to move the ball quickly to give our forwards a chance. I watched West Coast last night and was struck by how often they kicked backwards and quickly moved the ball to the other side of the crowd, quickly spreading the opposition across the ground and creating space for their mids and forwards to lead into.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it is time for Plan B. Rhyce's Plan A was to crash and bash our way through the opposition defence with tough, hard, aggressive football. That Plan is obviously not sustainable long term as it takes its toll on our own players and doesn't work when our 4 toughest and hardest players (Jed, Zurhaar, Ben 10 and Zeibell) are all out injured. Also the opposition have worked out how to counter that Plan A and we are finding it almost impossible to force our way through the opposition's defensive press- kicking long down the line to packs is just not working as the opposition just close up that area leaving no space for our forwards to move. We need a Plan B for how we are going to move the ball quickly to give our forwards a chance. I watched West Coast last night and was struck by how often they kicked backwards and quickly moved the ball to the other side of the crowd, quickly spreading the opposition across the ground and creating space for their mids and forwards to lead into.
I reckon 15-16 teams do that now....we go across ground at a snail's pace and the opp just move their "grid" across. Scotty T being missed a lot more than we thought, his kicks were low and hard and accurate.

BowWow1978

All Australian
Feb 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In a normal season, a guy who has failed to finish 3 of the 4 games he has played this year should be told he won't be selected again until he has played two VFL games to restore confidence in his durability.

Agree, unfortunately with only 11 a side praccy matches this year, our players in reserve are not getting much of a run.

BowWow1978

All Australian
Feb 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

We tried plan B on Saturday night. We were flicking the ball around by hand then trying attacking kicks through their press. Very different to previous weeks. It reeked of a team receiving mixed/confusing messages from the coaching staff. Our players were also nowhere near skilled enough to pull it off. What has become really apparent is how much Cunners papers over the cracks in our list/gameplan. He's just so damn good at winning the ball, drawing a tackler and then releasing the ball by hand to a team mate in space.
Was confused about criticism directed at Pittard in recent weeks, but I saw why on the weekend. He was just non-competitive on multiple occasions. From a senior bloke (and one who had a ripper year last year,) it's simply not good enough.
Hall cops a lot of flack for poor disposal (and rightfully so,) but at least he's having a crack.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey, how about you get f’ed, and while you're at it fu** off to your own board you pointless waste of oxygen. I don't really give a fu** what you think you saw no one asked you to come in here so just fu** off.

Dusty is a whining b*tch.

Considering what his old man came from to have a whiny little campaigner like that crying for frees when he should be able to win the ball on his own is piss weak. Someone needs to drill some of his knee caps.

A bit like you shitty little oppo campaigners. Anyone from our board point out something like that on your board and we'd get banned you little fu**. Good thing this is the Internet and not real life cos if it was you might not wake up in hospital. I'd just feed you to my mates pigs.

Never speak to me again on this board, take a hint from your own user name and fu** the fu** off before I decide to find out where you live.

Love the passion there Ferbs.

You are hence officially selected in this week's team to play Carlton as an aggressive inside mid.

Congratulations!

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We should've had this year last year but pride took over last year and a honeymoon period with the new coach to grab some wins we shouldn't have.
I feel like we win games when we have zero passengers and apply high pressure on the ball. Gameplan has been figured out, too predictable.
Seems like we can win contested possessions, clearances (why the NFL style punts Polec and Hall into the fw50) and disposals yet completely struggle with kicking and decision making. Also the tackle pressure numbers would be nowhere near as high as the gws and saints games.
We seem to get sucked into the ball a hell of a lot, I remember we had JMac and somebody else both charging at a tigers bloke on the boundary.
I yelled "don't both get sucked into the ball", both went to the ball, tigers guy handballed to another tigers guy in space - sets up a goal.
Josh Walker, Curtis, LMac, Goldy can hold their heads high. Silver lining is we'll get guys back and see W Walker, LDU, Murphy and Perez get a run soon.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We tried plan B on Saturday night. We were flicking the ball around by hand then trying attacking kicks through their press. Very different to previous weeks. It reeked of a team receiving mixed/confusing messages from the coaching staff. Our players were also nowhere near skilled enough to pull it off. What has become really apparent is how much Cunners papers over the cracks in our list/gameplan. He's just so damn good at winning the ball, drawing a tackler and then releasing the ball by hand to a team mate in space.
Was confused about criticism directed at Pittard in recent weeks, but I saw why on the weekend. He was just non-competitive on multiple occasions. From a senior bloke (and one who had a ripper year last year,) it's simply not good enough.
Hall cops a lot of flack for poor disposal (and rightfully so,) but at least he's having a crack.
Much prefer that we persist with this game plan. Yes it will take a while to adjust and we don't have the cattle but we are better off recognising that and resolving it than minimising losses with the high and long up the line strategy. Promote the players that can adjust and demote the ones that can't. It will be a different set of players to the bash and crash game plan.
Watching the game closely on Sunday I thought Hall was actually one of our better users on the day. You are right about him having a crack and he is much better on the ball than in the forward line. He is also just about the best mover in the team. I would say leave him on ball and mover Higgo to a permanent half-back flank. Lord knows we need more class back there.

NinjaTurtle39

Debutant
Aug 19, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get that we have a lot of injuries and an untried coach, but in reality we aren't close to a flag and we haven't been in 20 years. I know we made prelims but we also got them outside the top 4 which shows were pretty mediocre for most of the year.

I'd rather just figure out who can play and move forward from there. It would be terrible to end up like a Melbourne or Carlton but being stuck in the middle like we have might be worse.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On Saturday we comfortably beat Richmond for clearances and contested possessions but were thrashed. This would seem to be an anomaly but I think it highlights our biggest problem: we have too many players chasing contested possessions and not enough making position to receive possession. We win possession in a pack situation and we don't have somebody on the move 5 metres from the pack to receive a handball and set up play so we handball to somebody standing still in the same pack; we don't have players breaking to the opposite flank to switch play so we kick down the line. Our disposal efficiency is relatively low, but this is because we are continually disposing under pressure and trying to pinpoint passes to players surrounded by opposition players.

We tried plan B against Richmond. It's fair to say it looked even worse than Plan A.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We tried plan B against Richmond. It's fair to say it looked even worse than Plan A.
well, to be fair, Plan B lasted until Kyron's cross field kick (which was actually the right idea, he just should have gone half way to Tarrant, rather than the full journey to the opposite pocket); thereafter, it was a pretty quick reversion to Plan A .....chronic lack of confidence, hard to change game styles in that environment, one mistake and the wheels fall off

well, to be fair, Plan B lasted until Kyron's cross field kick (which was actually the right idea, he just should have gone half way to Tarrant, rather than the full journey to the opposite pocket); thereafter, it was a pretty quick reversion to Plan A .....chronic lack of confidence, hard to change game styles in that environment, one mistake and the wheels fall off

Yeah, that kick was too ambitious and he under-cooked it.

Clearly Kyron's fault, but what struck me at the time was that Marley was completely flat-footed. I'll concede that maybe the TV view didn't give the full picture, so to speak.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, that kick was too ambitious and he under-cooked it.

Clearly Kyron's fault, but what struck me at the time was that Marley was completely flat-footed. I'll concede that maybe the TV view didn't give the full picture, so to speak.
agreed, I think Marley thought he'd be the second receiver after Taz

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have been training for and playing Plan A for 12 months. It started well but the wheels have fallen off as the crash and bash approach has taken its toll on our players and opposition teams are well prepared to counter our down the line approach. We have gone backwards very quickly in the last month and need to change our approach. Time for Plan B, even though it will take some time to adjust

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Way too many plan b or C or J or whatever

We are playing with way too much structure. Let the boys off the leash and play basic footy

Back