News 2020 Trade and Coaching Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it the more selection for tomorrow night bothers me.

I don't think we are but I can see someone could make an argument we are a better team with so many older players. The problem is that's not what I want to see this year. Obviously you still need some senior players but there are a few to many tomorrow night.

I'd like to know what plan Nicksy has for selection in 2020. It appears from the outside to be a bit all over the place and is now in damage control.

100% but need some brown paper bag assistance to get him.
GWS would be in the Hunt too
GWS might be past midnight on the clock though.

We go to the draft this year and next. Have 2022 to build on. Then get in Clarko.

Same year Luko and Rankine are out of contract. Clarko should be enough to lure one of them home with a big fat contract.

GWS might be past midnight on the clock though.

We go to the draft this year and next. Have 2022 to build on. Then get in Clarko.

Same year Luko and Rankine are out of contract. Clarko should be enough to lure one of them home with a big fat contract.

If he's still interested in coaching after that then he'll have every club in Melbourne willing to boot whoever they've got to make way for him, and able to pay him more (one way or another) and he won't have to move interstate. I'd love to get him, but we won't.

Not inspiring but Worsfold as Director wouldn’t be a bad option. We need a level of experience and expertise. He may be a bit behind the times but that’s Nicks’ job
Absolutely. We need an experienced coach to mentor Nicks. He needs to know the game and he needs to be able to be strong and command respect. Not sure who else is out there but Worsfold would be the type of man we need to get. In fact filling this position should be at the top of the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Clarko will see out his contract at Hawthorn til 2022 and then move on.

We need to be all over that
I was pondering this the other day.
How many established and successful coaches (winning a flag) have gone on to have success at another club since the AFL begun? Off the top of my head I can only think of Malthouse and he fits in both camps of success and total flop.

Sounds like Clarko will see out his contract at Hawthorn til 2022 and then move on.

We need to be all over that
Wouldn't surprise me if he moved into the media after he leaves Hawthorn. Can see him wanting to step away from the coaching side of things for a year or 2 as a break after such a long stint. Will be interesting to see what he does.

How many established and successful coaches (winning a flag) have gone on to have success at another club since the AFL begun? Off the top of my head I can only think of Malthouse and he fits in both camps of success and total flop.
Matthews

Blight didn’t get a flag at Geelong but you’d still call him a success there

Its interesting, of course we would take him but you wonder if in a few years the game would of passed him by.

Outside Blight which was 25 years ago have any coaches won a premiership at their second club? Eade, Roos, Worsfold, Lyon didn't off the top of my head. Maybe I am forgetting someone.

Matthews

Blight didn’t get a flag at Geelong but you’d still call him a success there

Good point on Mathews. Obviously a long time ago but it worked.

Coaching appointments seem to go in cycles. Everyone goes for experience, then they go back to first time coaches. I sense if Ratten does alright at the Saints there could be a run of appointments of recycled coaches, guys like Voss might get a role somewhere.

Its interesting, of course we would take him but you wonder if in a few years the game would of passed him by.

Outside Blight which was 25 years ago have any coaches won a premiership at their second club? Eade, Roos, Worsfold, Lyon didn't off the top of my head. Maybe I am forgetting someone.
Blight is similar to Malthouse but doesn’t fit into the category of a premiership coach having success at another club but it’s arguable that he was pretty successful at Geelong, ultimate success with Adelaide and the classic failing at the next club, St Kilda.
There’s plenty of them, Malthouse at Carlton, Pagan at Carlton, Roos at Melbourne, Sheedy at GWS.
Leigh Matthews would be another successful coach at two clubs

Blight is similar to Malthouse but doesn’t fit into the category of a premiership coach having success at another club but it’s arguable that he was pretty successful at Geelong, ultimate success with Adelaide and the classic failing at the next club, St Kilda.
There’s plenty of them, Malthouse at Carlton, Pagan at Carlton, Roos at Melbourne, Sheedy at GWS.
Leigh Matthews would be another successful coach at two clubs

I don't know if you'd call Sheedy at GWS a failure. Didn't win a lot of games, but they weren't expected to in those first couple of years. His appointment was more about developing the players and developing the culture in the early days, plus lending a bit of credibility to the club by having a long-established coach with a successful track record. It was only ever going to be a short term appointment, and it really had to be somebody like Sheedy who didn't actually need the job and was at the end of his career anyway. Putting a first-time coach in charge would have been pretty unfair given what they would have had to go through in those first few seasons. Bit like what Nicks has been saddled with at our club, except at least GWS had a list full of first round picks.

As for the Malthouse / Pagan / Roos examples... it's a bit 50/50 there in terms of, yeah, some of those guys were pretty ordinary at that point in their careers, but they were also leading some pretty average clubs in that time, too. Good coaches get the best out of their players, but they can't actually make silk purses out of sows ears. Only so much you can do if the cattle just isn't there to work with.

Roos doesn't really count as he was rebuilding to hand over. Lyon got close. But is their success rate any worse than coaches at their first club?

I don't know if you'd call Sheedy at GWS a failure. Didn't win a lot of games, but they weren't expected to in those first couple of years. His appointment was more about developing the players and developing the culture in the early days, plus lending a bit of credibility to the club by having a long-established coach with a successful track record. It was only ever going to be a short term appointment, and it really had to be somebody like Sheedy who didn't actually need the job and was at the end of his career anyway. Putting a first-time coach in charge would have been pretty unfair given what they would have had to go through in those first few seasons. Bit like what Nicks has been saddled with at our club, except at least GWS had a list full of first round picks.

As for the Malthouse / Pagan / Roos examples... it's a bit 50/50 there in terms of, yeah, some of those guys were pretty ordinary at that point in their careers, but they were also leading some pretty average clubs in that time, too. Good coaches get the best out of their players, but they can't actually make silk purses out of sows ears. Only so much you can do if the cattle just isn't there to work with.
Agree with that but stats don’t lie. Sheedy is the one outlier, the other clubs are all very well established and only have themselves to blame for their $hitness which is why they’ve gone the big name coach and failed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back