2nds Reserves Scratch Matches 2020

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I just thought I would start a thread for any info from the scratch matches.

Saw this on another forum about this weeks one against the Hawks:

“Solid 15 v15 against a big bodied hawthorn side. Best was bell, wicks and Foote. Bell and wicks were very strong physically through the mids and forward. Wicks ended up with 2 goals but could have got 5/6. Foote ran all day.
Jack maibaum and will Gould were the best defenders. Maibaum looked the better of the two.
Ling, mcinerny and gray were quiet. Reid continued to get some good minutes and provided a solid forward target.
Bell, wicks, Foote, maibaum and Gould are ready for senior games.”

Apparently Ling was on managed minutes

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I'm interested in what you mean, do you feel Stoddart is going to be good? I'm not sure myself, I'm still reeling from his game last night
He got a fair bit of it , his disposal was off , but he also had equal the most intercepts. Just liked that he new where to be . Really hasn't played a lot of games , so willing to give him a go . Remember McVeigh got gifted about 70 games before he came good

Why wasn’t he over his injury’s?
I wonder if there will be a review of our injury run and management of such. This seems to be an area we have not really got on top of over the past few seasons now. We never seem to have short term outs, always 3-4 then rehab is how it feels. Feels like we should be better in this area.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I wonder if there will be a review of our injury run and management of such. This seems to be an area we have not really got on top of over the past few seasons now. We never seem to have short term outs, always 3-4 then rehab is how it feels. Feels like we should be better in this area.
We never tell the truth , it's bullcrap and totally unfair on Members.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
From the RW forum:

Having the benefit of the video of the game against hawthorn my observations would be:

1. Will Gould; best game he has played for the swans against quality opposition. Looks to have taken the next step. Lots of good positioning, level headed, good drive forward and plenty of touches
2. Zac Foote; really pushing for senior selection. Endless run matched with good head over the ball attack. Still fine tuning his use of the ball, but is definitely ready for a run in the seniors.
3. Jack Maibaum; Smart defender, with some strong intercept marking. Also looking ready to step up
4. Jammes Bell; Has now developed in to a strong body able to withstand the rigours. Used the ball very well and generally either won the midfield or squared it.

These were the best four. Next was probably Wicks who got plenty of ball and laid a ton of tackles. Some of his ball use could have been better. If so would have got more than 2 goals. However he is a real competitor around congested traffic and is very hard to beat one on one. Ling was pretty good when he was on as was Gray and Thurlow. McIneney was interesting. He can find the ball but is not strong in the tackle. He gets taken to ground very easily rather than standing up in the tackle and disposing of the ball. Rowles started to find the ball, however his use is atrocious. Actually a bit of a problem.

Overall Hawthorn would have beaten the swans by 5-10 goals. It should be noted though Hawthorn was providing 3 or more players to the swans including the ruckman, so the score is not that useful.

My overall observation is that players need to be played in the correct positions. For example:

Zac Foote is an awesome running wingman. As a midfielder or small forward, not so good.
Jammes Bell is a very good inside mid, and a handy high forward
Justin McInerney is a good running wingman but the body strength to be a midfielder is absent, and is not much good playing forward
Wicks is a strong inside mid and a good small forward
Barry Connor ain't no ruckman!

It was really clear when these players were played out of position the impact on the team. In the midfield you could almost count on the clearance being squared or won with bell and or wicks in there. With McInerney especially you could almost count on it being lost. This is noting that Gray in particular is purely an outside mid and will not engage in the body contest to win the ball.

Next week:

If the seniors need backmen go for Gould or Maibaum. Gould tends to stay a bit deeper. Maibaum a bit higher.
If an inside mid is needed go for Bell
If a small kieran jack type forward/mid go for wicks
If a hard running wingman is needed go for foote.

What I hope doesn't happen is they pick the best performing player from the scratch match and play him out of position in the seniors.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks for the write-ups.
Gee it'd be great to see Maibaum and Wicks given a go for the next 3. Fox and Rampe can easily slide over to the next biggest.
Give all the promising guys a run of 3 games at some stage soon IMO - let's see what they've got.

Laidler's highlights as per the Swans site:

Matt Ling

He’s played consecutive games now, really locking in to the small defender role. His positioning and tracking have been really solid, he’s a true competitor. Going up against guys like Paul Puopolo I think he did really well.”

Sam Reid

“Reidy got through his second game and looked really strong in the air - he took some great marks and hit the scoreboard while also going back where required. He’s got a great ability to play at both ends.”

Sam Wicks

“Sam is really focusing in on what his role is, playing the pressure role you need to adapt and we’re happy with his progress. He’s working on hurrying up his opposition and he showed that on the weekend, whilst also being able to ht the scoreboard where he can.”

Jack Maibaum

"
I’ve been working closely with Jack, he obviously missed a lot of footy last year through injury, but with 3 or 4 games back in the side he’s playing that key defender role really well. He knows what he needs to work on and his focus on maintaining his performance for four quarters has been really good, he did well playing on some key forwards.”

Genuinely stumped as to why we would draft a kid for his speed and his ball use, and then turn him into a lockdown small defender? It's taking the piss.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
On Ling, I thought there was hope he would move into the middle, at least that's what the swans website said.

Anyway, I don't really care what his role is, if he can just show himself to be a decent player I'm happy. Maybe he does turn out to be a small lock down defender.

All I hope is that he has some nice ball use, we need all the kickers we can get at the moment.

On Ling, I thought there was hope he would move into the middle, at least that's what the swans website said.

Anyway, I don't really care what his role is, if he can just show himself to be a decent player I'm happy. Maybe he does turn out to be a small lock down defender.

All I hope is that he has some nice ball use, we need all the kickers we can get at the moment.

For sure, I'm not bothered that he's a small lockdown defender with good ball use.

I'm bothered that that's what we're planning to do with a guy we used a pick 14 on.

I've never had an issue with us taking Ling at pick 14 as I was always under the impression we wanted to use his attributes as a wingman or a half back flanker. If that was not the case then it can get ******. Nothing against Ling, not his fault.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Laidler's highlights as per the Swans site:

Matt Ling

He’s played consecutive games now, really locking in to the small defender role. His positioning and tracking have been really solid, he’s a true competitor. Going up against guys like Paul Puopolo I think he did really well.”

Sam Reid

“Reidy got through his second game and looked really strong in the air - he took some great marks and hit the scoreboard while also going back where required. He’s got a great ability to play at both ends.”

Sam Wicks

“Sam is really focusing in on what his role is, playing the pressure role you need to adapt and we’re happy with his progress. He’s working on hurrying up his opposition and he showed that on the weekend, whilst also being able to ht the scoreboard where he can.”

Jack Maibaum

"
I’ve been working closely with Jack, he obviously missed a lot of footy last year through injury, but with 3 or 4 games back in the side he’s playing that key defender role really well. He knows what he needs to work on and his focus on maintaining his performance for four quarters has been really good, he did well playing on some key forwards.”

Genuinely stumped as to why we would draft a kid for his speed and his ball use, and then turn him into a lockdown small defender? It's taking the piss.
It's on the website

Back